Triumph Trident - 2020s Sport-Classic Revival

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hamamelis, Aug 25, 2020.

1. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:

His description can best be described as "It's a motorcycle". Which is a good thing in my opinion. Not this or that, just a good all-round motorcycle. Sorta the UJM of the past ?

T-34, zuma and Motonirvana like this.
  2. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
    Here's the review from Visordown:
  3. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Man, some of these reviews are pathetic. "Yeah, it's a motorbike, but it doesn't have any gizmos, might be OK for a beginner or some old fart that doesn't want to get scared by a real bike..."

If you can't go fast enough to be on a first name basis with every LEO in the state (and a number of neighboring states too :lol3) on a ~190kg and 80HP motorcycle, you simply need to go improve your riding skills, it's not a limitation of the bike. :deal

My local dealer has this and the Tiger 850 Sport in this weekend. I still don't understand the point of the 850, but that's a different thread. The Trident, OTOH, is a very nice looking bike in person. Yes, it's built to a price, some shortcuts had to be made. But Triumph took time to design/spec parts that still look good and integrate nicely into the bike. The seat seems OK, it was surprisingly roomy reach to the pegs for this type of bike. I didn't have an MT-07 to do a straight comparison, but my knees thought it was more like an XSR (or maybe roomier) than an MT-07. And that's w/o having a seat so tall that only people with 32" inseam or taller will feel comfortable on it. The cables/hoses are all nicely tucked away for a very clean look Triumph is very good at.

That neat look, of course, can be a problem too. Those cables/hose that are so nicely tucked away for a clean look, don't look to have a lot of free length. Without taking things apart (didn't want the dealer to chase me out :augie) it doesn't look like there is much slack to raise the bars w/o using longer hose and/or cable extensions. Not that the position isn't OK with stock seat, there is a slight lean forward, but it's not severe. But, if you wanted to raise the seat, you may probably also want taller bars...

Gustavo
    T-34, Johann and c_m_shooter like this.
  4. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Seemed really comfy riding position to me, coming right off MT-09. The only thing I think they shouldn't have skimped on is cornering ABS, especially on a beginner-oriented bike; all other premium manufacturers are sticking it on every new bike.
    Motonirvana likes this.
  5. T-34

T-34 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thats me! The RS900 Kawasaki appealed to me, and this one actually does a bit more. The price as well... gravy. What a concept! A modern motorcycle with modern manners, all-day ergonomics, and a regular round headlight. A UJM for 2020. UEM?

I'm looking very closely at it. It would be my primary street motorcycle. A medium-small flyscreen, better seat, and hopefully someone will make hard bags for it, and it might be what the doctor ordered.
    Xchemie, Motonirvana and AZbiker like this.
  6. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    The painted part is a plastic cover (similar to what Yamaha is doing these days). The real tank is underneath and you can't really see it, but I'd hazard a guess that is is metal.

Gustavo
  7. T-34

Oddometer:
    Anyone call a dealer or otherwise inquire when these things will be actually showing up?
  8. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are photos a page back....
  9. T-34

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I should have specified. The STL dealer doesn't have any.
  10. LOUFY034

LOUFY034 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering who this bike is for?

is it basically just a rounded off 2004 SV650 w/+1 cyl at that HP and weight-?
    or is it a severely underperforming XSR900 clone?
  11. T-34

Oddometer:
    It is significantly faster than an SV650, with better suspension. I bet it has much better fit and finish than a Suzuki product.
  12. richarddacat

richarddacat No fruit in my cookies! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I view it as a step up bike for newly experienced riders needing more power than their 250 starter bike.
  13. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    The bike you saw in earlier in the thread is a roving demo (sort of, not actual demo ride, just demo look...) that Triumph NA is sending around to show at dealers to potential clients. The actual bikes they can sell are supposed to be here in March, IIRC. My dealer already had 3 orders for an allotment of 10 on the first day the bike was there. Maybe they sold more over the weekend.

Gustavo
    AZbiker, T-34 and pjensen641 like this.
  14. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    I think it's mostly for people who like motorcycles. :dunno

Gustavo
    AZbiker and liberpolly like this.
  15. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a triple at the same price as popular twins. So it's for anyone who wants a 65-75hp motorcycle with nice features, but not too many, and isn't too expensive. That it's a triple instead of Yet Another Twin is an enticing feature.
    T-34 and zap2504 like this.
  16. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    And it has more of a "classic" look than "modern/alien" like the FZ-07, KTM 790 Duke/Adv, Kaw Z650. Just waiting to see if the ergos fit tall riders.
    AZbiker, T-34 and Matt-J2 like this.
  17. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is a great beginner/2nd bike for those who does not want a transformer while just wish to enjoy...

Kinda like owning a tool that does everything ok.

Kinda like buying a V7 Guzzi :p
  18. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    And compared to XSR900 it has better suspension presumably?
  19. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reviews I saw said it was better balanced between front/rear than the MT series, but I guess we won't know for sure until they're actually out. Wouldn't surprise me though, it's been a weak point of the MT-0X from the beginning, and the -07 has been better than the -09 in that regard. (Same with the XSR, of course)
  20. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    I cannot fault my '18 MT09, previous years had some problems. I do think I'll replace the rear shock eventually, though. My favorite bike of all times was '99 Triumph Triple Thunderbird standard, which had this intangible "rightness" that cannot be explained by the specs, so I'll reserve the judgement until the test ride.
    Matt-J2 likes this.