Troubled mind

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by dean-o, Jul 27, 2018.

1. dean-o

dean-o Dabs often

Oddometer:
    june 5th an inattentive driver turned left in my path and changed my world. My r1100gs struck the car and sent me airborne. They left the scene & left me lying in the road unable to breath. I had other drivers come to my aid as I slowly, painfully began to catch my breath.

While in the hospital I contacted an attorney hoping to find the driver. That hasn’t happened & I find myself suing my uninsured motorist policy without meaning to. I was angry ... and on good pain medication.

The value they wish to pay for my 1100 is disappointing & wouldn’t replace the value of my helmet & micatech boxes. I was wheelchair bound for two weeks, out of work for a month... should have taken 6 weeks.

I know you never beat the house & I fear repercussions from insurance companies & in addition have a new perception of the dangers to motorcycling in today’s driving environment. Last Friday & Saturday had two left turn fatalities within 40 miles of me in different municipalities.

Since 1971 & now feel like i might be riding my last TT each time I go out. Not quite healthy enough physically to ride, but very close.
    Dean
    Maggot12, Hi-De-Ho and Chaostrophy like this.
  2. Jim H

Jim H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hard to read... Hope you mend well and have a full recovery. I've been riding for 50+ yrs but have only had 2 significant mishaps, both caused by "cage drivers" not paying attention. Both said they didn't see me but even before it became popular I rode with headlights on. Best of luck getting through the insurance companies and all the rest of it. Hope you don't end up having to hang up the helmet...
  3. wellcraft

wellcraft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope you recover 100% as quickly as possible. Motorcycles are a dangerous pastime and getting more dangerous everyday with more and more idiots driving distracted. Unfortunately unless a witness or camera captured the hit and run drivers license plate its unlikely they'll be caught. I can't drive a mile where I live and not see a dozen morons in cages texting or talking on cell phones. I was rear ended Oct 2017 by some dumb broad on her phone, no insurance, driving on a suspended license and with her kid in the car. Fortunately I only sustained a few nicks and bruises but what shocked me the cop allowed her to drive away.
  4. dean-o

dean-o Dabs often

Oddometer:
    The insurance company asks if I was sure i struck the vehicle. It was almost funny. I have the involved vehicles blue gray paint on my front rotor, fork leg AND front axle!!! That’s hard to do. Found a car that would fill the bill nearby at a body shop. Couldn’t find any paint color from another vehicle on it.

Attached Files:

Fast1 and Chaostrophy like this.
  5. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dean-o I am glad you weren't more seriously injured.

As a retired personal injury and wrongful death attorney I can tell you that all of these insurance companies will put their interests before yours. If Tennessee requires contact for a UM claim to go forward that was the reason they asked you if you made contact. To try to gut your claim even though it may be obvious that contact was made. Some adjusters are more hard core than others. Don't consider any of them to be your friend. There is a good chance that criminal who left the scene didn't have insurance anyway.

Just make sure you have a good experienced attorney that knows what they are doing. I'd steer clear of most of the ones you see on TV. Don't worry about making a claim and filing suit if necessary against your own company. That is the reason you have UM coverage. I have very high UM and UIM limits for this very reason. If I'm dead or seriously injured I don't want my wife to be financially screwed.

The "left hook" is probably the biggest cause of motorcycle accidents and fatalities. I had my one and only when I was 17 years old and went clean through the windshield of a Coup De'Ville. Had I hit the windshield header I would have likely been killed or paralyzed. Even though the accident wasn't my fault it would not have happened to me today. I have many defensive techniques to avoid the "left hook" including minimizing the amount I ride in City traffic. You have to make sure the potential idiot coming the opposite way sees you. There are various ways to accomplish this. One of the easiest is to leave a long distance between you and the car in front of you. You may miss some green lights but hey it's your life. Move around in the lane and if in traffic move left every few seconds so the oncoming cars can see you. If you are far enough back they should be able to see you but still move around. Try to position yourself so you are the first in line of the pack. You have to weigh this with the increased risk of getting rear ended if somebody behind you assumes you are going to accelerate through the yellow light. I will usually risk the potential ticket for going through a late yellow vs getting hit by the moron texter behind me. I try to go faster than the pack so I don't have somebody on my ass. I let all the cowboys go around. Not worth pissing one off.

For me commuting just isn't worth the increased risk but I know some people don't have a choice.

I hope your back riding soon (assuming you choose to keep riding; nobody can make that choice for you).
  6. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read this with out reading your name.
    Dean-o ran the MSF course I took and hooked me up with a bike once.

@dean-o if there is anything I can do hit me up. If you lost my number PM me.
  7. dean-o

dean-o Dabs often

Oddometer:
    It was around 10pm going home from w
    Here’s the gear I had on while returning from work along the dark tree lined road.

Attached Files:

Hi-De-Ho and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  8. dean-o

dean-o Dabs often

Oddometer:
    Thank you buddy...
    Dean
  9. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if it all feels worse because the driver got away with it. There's nothing to make you feel vulnerable like the idea that other people can hurt you with impunity.

I hope you heal 100%, and quickly. I also hope you take some time to consider all this and not make any rash choices. The emotional side of this needs to work itself out before you can see clearly, or at least that's the way I'd feel.

Good luck.
  10. dean-o

dean-o Dabs often

Oddometer:
    Yes, it does. Hit & runs seem to be more common or perhaps we just hear of everything so quickly. We have ha couple of nasty H&R bastards injure and kill bicyclists nearby in the last 6 months or so too. In Tennessee, I don’t think you have to have a license to register a vehicle you purchased or proof of insurance either at that point...
    allowing repeat offenders to easily get back behind the wheel is so idiotic.
    Hi-De-Ho and Chaostrophy like this.
  11. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    I would have had a real problem with that. How can that be legal ? :patch
    Hi-De-Ho and Rockred like this.
  12. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    Great suggestions. Another former attorney here. I'll also comment that your insurance company isn't necessarily your friend, nor there to help, although certainly preferable to having no insurance. They are in business to make money, and they do that by collecting lots of premiums and paying out far less in claims or benefits, pretty simple equation. Having said that, I did encounter a lot of adjusters who were pretty decent to work with.....until they weren't. Sometimes it just takes time and effort to get that to which you are entitled. Low-balling the value of personal property, i.e., a bike in your case, is small potatoes to them, a bigger deal to you, but it is just one way they try to minimize their exposure. Multiply those relatively few dollars by thousands of annual claims, and it adds up to some serious money.

Ditto on the left hook. Number one way motorcyclists die or are badly injured. A number of years ago I had a KTM 950 Adventure. The OEM headlight was, in a word, dim. People kept turning left in front of me, I swear that it happened every time I rode that thing. I eventually added two little auxilliary lights, low and to the side of the headlight. They were those little halogen things. If you walk in front of the bike and look at them, it's like staring into the sun. Lots of outfits make them for all kinds of different bikes. They aren't necessarily inexpensive, seems like I paid $400 or $500 for them. Damn if they didn't work. As soon as I installed them, people stopped turning left in front of me. They make the bike look, to oncoming traffic, bigger, wider and more menacing. Riding buddies would bitch if I was riding behind them. I eventually sold that bike and got an updated version in the 1190R, and before I even took it out of the dealership I had similar lights installed. Same result. I am convinced they work.

Good suggestions on riding strategies, counselor! :thumb
  13. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    A couple of my students were on their way to school last year when a “person of questionable documentation “ blew a stop sign on a rural road and t-boned their car. In the subsequent discussion, he asked to use their phone to call his boss as the girls’ car burst into flames.

The sheriff deputy who eventually responded did not arrest the driver for any of the following: suspension of license, lack of insurance, no registration. In f@ct, 5e car he was driving was from one of those buy here-pay here places.

Needless to say, the girs’ father has pursued the issue with the county, the guys’ employer and has the girls driving the family’s old suburban. It remains to be seen if the spirit of the law will prevail over apathy.
    Hi-De-Ho and Chaostrophy like this.
  14. dean-o

dean-o Dabs often

Oddometer:
    Yes, I plan to make my Ulysses look larger. It’s headlights are not great,but low and hi beam are on together when operating high beam. Dual lamps may help? One feeble lamp on low beam.
    I will try not to go into an intersection with a right turning vehicle next to me again when approaching a left turning vehicle...
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  15. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    I had a similar set up to the one pictured below on my Ulysses.
    [​IMG]

I found that picture on a Walmart site (kit NLA), but you should be able to duplicate it pretty easily. I also wanted better high beam lighting, so I had one of the PIAA lights a driving light wired into the high beam circuit, and the other PIAA was a yellow fog light wired into the low beam circuit. I received many comments about how much the bike stood out on low beam.

Found a picture of mine - all 4 lights on high beam, but I only ran it as shown with any traffic around.

PICT0015 (2).JPG
  16. RedShark

RedShark Long timer

Oddometer:
    ditto - I could have written this myself (except the asshole loser that rear-ended me into the hospital was a guy)
  17. RoadRdr

RoadRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope you heal fully and quickly. There has been some great information touched on in this thread already and I’d like to add my voice to some of them so that readers of the thread pick up on a few important things.

Uninsured and Underinsured. Check your policy and look to raise it. I heard a statistic for NJ (fairly aggressive enforcement state) 4 out of 10 cars that pass you on the road either have NO insurance or the minimum. That probably won’t get you through the ER visit on a minor injury visit. After hearing that, I raised mine to $250,000-$300,000 at a cost of about $40 / year. I think the attorneys would back me up on that.

Added lights. Read up on the Triangle of Lights effect study that started to address drivers misjudging the speed of oncoming trains. Notice oncoming bikes that are running them. They stand out in traffic. I have both MotoLights and Clearwater Kristas (set at about 20% power on low beam with yellow lenses) I don’t count on them but I know I’m visible.

I also have hardwired front and rear dash cams. The DVR is under the seat. I’ve told my wife and family if something bad happens get the SD card and see what lead up to it. I hope they never need to figure that out. But it’s there.

Finally, I take it you are a RiderCoach from some comments. Good for you. It takes dedication to give up great riding weather weekends to bring new people into the sport we love.

Having said all that your first ride may reveal some unsettling feelings. Remind yourself of your skills and remember your course S-E-E yourself through your rides.

Sorry to drag on so long but I wanted other readers to get some clarification on some of the issues raised here.

Ride safe.
    lnewqban and dean-o like this.
  18. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    My empathy to the OP. I am glad you are still with us to report your experience. I know a little bit how sore an accident can make you; it is misery.

A couple of take-aways based on posters' comments. MC manufacturers could adopt a couple of things to help us at least as much as ABS and traction control: Make a triangle of lights on every new motorcycle. Allow it to be shut off for the troglodytes among us. Make front and rear dash cams standard equipment. If manufacturers don't want to adopt the technologies across the board, try them on their top touring/sport-touring models and big-bore ADVs. Lastly, Car and Driver recently ran a short article that dismissed a couple of arguments against dash cams. I'll edit in the issue and page later today, my memory dependent.

Oh, yes, one more thing: One poster suggested minimizing the amount of time spent in urban traffic. I agree. Also, lobby your local and state transportation agencies to replace traffic lights with roundabouts where ever possible.
    dean-o likes this.
  19. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your crash. They'll do it to you every time. Just give them a chance. I hope you heal up 100% and hopefully you'll find out who it was. If your luck is anything like mine, they'll find out it's some illegal and won't do anything exept maybe a $50 fine for leaving the scene of an accident.

I have a big problem with roundaouts, Snowbird. We had 2 here and one has been eliminated due to wrecks years ago. the other is a constant source of wrecks and traffic jams. People that can barely drive, a small circle with often 5 or 6 roads feeding in is a recipe for problems. They work great in lower traffic areas but their efficiency goes down quickly as the traffic volume goes up. We have people go around backwards about once a month, usually resulting in at least one wreck. People are so impatient these days that they'll try to take off and get in a spot barely big enough for the car with no concern for the amount of time it takes them to get moving. People don't pay attention to the signs and end up going around several times before getting off. There's always some idiot that thinks he has to go 60 around it and is riding bumpers and blowing horns the whole way. Some old folks are confused and go 10 or 15 causing even more problems. There is at least one wreck per day on our one remaining circle and most days it's several. It works great at off-traffic times. during peak times, it's a major hazard.
    dean-o likes this.
  20. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a poorly designed traffic circle, when well designed and implemented I greatly prefer them to 4 way stops or traffic lights.
    ragtoplvr likes this.