1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Trunks On Sale......cheap

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by handypro, Dec 18, 2007.

1. djpaulie

djpaulie Tigger Happy

Oddometer:
    See first post. Code is FRSHP50 - worked for me last week when I ordered. Took me three tries to get the code to "take" though.. I ended up adding the case and a small item (bungee?), then applying the code. :clap

My thoughts on the case FWIW:
    - Mounting plate is quite solid once bolted up. Will definitely end up cutting the bolts down, as they are SUPER long for my bike.
    - I had to cut down the backplates as well, as they were too long for my bike's rack
    - Fit/Finish is what you'd expect from a $50 topcase. Quite mediocre. Cables that hold the lid open were different lengths, sticker misaligned(will be removing anyway), and the latching/locking system seems really stupid to me.
    - It's not pretty, but who cares?
    - I suspect it is NOT weatherproof by looking at how the lid mates with the bottom half(others have reported no leaking in rain but I'm still skeptical :D). Plastic bags to keep things dry inside will be necessary in inclement weather.
    - Others have modded this case(I like the ideas), making whole red strip reflective is at the top of the list, as is using different mounting bolts. Personal preference I guess really.
    - I had hoped the backrest would be squishy or at least "give" a little.. It's hard molded plastic, just like the body of the case. Oh well, its a $50 case!

All in all, it's exactly what I expected for $50! :lol3 :deal I'll add a pic to this post when I get home!
  2. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    It's not waterproof since there's no gasket although there is a space for one in the lid.
  3. dentedvw

dentedvw Where did I put that

Oddometer:
    I bought one too, if only I could find a mount that would cost as little as this box.
    It looks like it could be used as a side mount box as well, but I have moto bags coming, so I won 't be testing that out.

It looks nice, and definitely worth the money.

If it leaks, I can probably make my own seal, or just wrap it in a bag when it rains.

Just buy em.
  4. scram1

scram1 Dark Knight

Oddometer:
    got mine and some much needed grips the other day for my klr! the price was right and it holds more and is easier to take on and off than my pelican 1550. I'll probably paint the orange trim a flat black and cover it with stickers or something (reflective tape?). for the price, you can't beat the utility IMHO. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
  5. DirtyMcStreet

DirtyMcStreet n00b

Oddometer:
    still works, just got my discount:deal
  6. Geobeemer

Geobeemer Extra Pieces?

Oddometer:
    I was able to get the same deal but because I needed to get the top box right away I had to pay a $29.99 surcharge. That will teach me to wait:baldy

Still a good deal though.....
  7. Comptonboy

Comptonboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I mounted mine twice.. Once without the TT plate and found I could not remove the seat,that was not going to work. I did some minor modifications to the JC Whitney plate and remounted it to my TT plate. I used some bronze spacers and stainless allen's a few washers and I would say it came out real nice.

Later.
  8. Comptonboy

Comptonboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HTML:

Here is another picture.
    HTML:

9. B.C.Biker

B.C.Biker mighty fine

Oddometer:
    Just tried getting the deal. Even phoned up and talked to a human. Must have ended. Snooze & lose.
  10. speedracer

speedracer The Lucky One

Oddometer:
    Middle of Canada.......no really.........it is
    Try again........the person I spoke with could not find the deal but when I explained my brother ordered one she just gave me the discount anyway. I'm picking mine up later this week.:clap
  11. rcompton

rcompton I am not Iron Man

Oddometer:
    I just ordered 5 minutes ago. Did the same frshp50 promo code, added one other item to get the price, get the large case for $47.99 and free shipping.

ORDER DETAILS

Thank you for ordering from JC Whitney, your source for "Everything Automotive". Your
    order number is 05580413. We've listed the details below or you can check its status online at
    any time.

After checking on your order why not check on our "Real Big Deals"?

Your order details:

Item:277022 FLAT BLK L TRUNK W/IRON CROSS LOGO
    Quantity:1 @ Total Price:$47.99 USD

Item:272206 MOTORCYCLE BUNGEE NET BLACK
    Quantity:1 @ Total Price:$4.99 USD

Subtotal:$52.98 USD
    Shipping:$0.00 USD
    Tax:$0.00 USD
    Total:$52.98 USD
  12. B.C.Biker

B.C.Biker mighty fine

Oddometer:
    Arrghh. Thanks guys. I'll try again after supper. Sometimes phoning back and talking to someone else at the same place helps. She was very helpful but couldn't make it work. She even tried to fill it out on her end with a different name.
  13. DakarMarc

DakarMarc Marc

Oddometer:
    HEY BC BIKER,

When I did it, I had to manipulate it somewhat, I went in and placed the order using my sisters address, as it will not accept a Canadian address, even though you look on the site and it shows Province/Postal Code. Got all the way to the point of just before confirming the order where it shows the $47.99 discount + the $2.99 bungee cord. But I wanted it sent to Canada, so print off that page showing the nearly completed order, call them up, and you need to get transferred to "International" Sales, it will take a while to convince them of the price, I had to Fax in the order sheet that I had just printed off, (as proof for the manager on duty) but I got the Case for $47.99, Bungee for $2.99, I got the FREE shipping for over $50:clap :clap :clap :clap , and they just charged me an extra $4 and $7 for taxes, duty, and extra shipping to Canada. Voila it was done and they were all very pleasant about it. All for just over $60 Candian. Give that a try and see what happens, I could have had it sent to my sister in Oakland, but then it would sit there till the next visit. This worker out too good for me to turn down. I will be putting it on my Dakar this week, I will post pics when it is finished.
  14. B.C.Biker

B.C.Biker mighty fine

Oddometer:
    Cool. Good thing I checked with you guys! Phoned up and talked to another lady just now and she gave me the good price without asking or even a promo code. Still free shipping. Bitch'en,thanks again!
  15. The Lazy Destroyer

The Lazy Destroyer Adventurous sportbike

Oddometer:
    Just ordered using the link in the original post, worked like a charm.

The promotional code originally mentioned didn't appear to work for me (although admittedly I didn't go through the whole checkout procedure to check it's validity), so I used the "sendnow" promotional code which was advertised as a one day only thing. It's the same deal, free shipping w/ orders over fifty bucks, but I'm not sure how long it will work.

The original one might still work too, I didn't really check it all the way through.

And yes it keeps the high price until the last confirmation step, the one AFTER you enter your credit card information in. That is where you will see the $48 price.
  16. AmonTobin

AmonTobin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Install was quite easy. I mounted it further back on the rear rack than a lot of installs I've seen. More comfort for passenger and room for stuff. I'll post pics soon.

Oh yea- I did have to grind down some bolts which took a bit of time.
  17. ravencr

ravencr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just completed my order entering the promo code above, but as mentioned above, it says it's not accepted initially. But, right after you enter your credit card information, the next screen it applies the discount.

ORDER DETAILS

Item Item # Qty. Unit Unit Price Total Price

22-1/2"W x 16-1/2"L x 11"H Large Matte Black Travel Trunk
    Will ship in 24 hours or less ZXE277022 1 Each $47.99 $47.99

Subtotal: $47.99
    Tax (IL Residents): $0.00
    Shipping & Handling: $8.99

Total: $56.98

Thanks for the heads up guys! :)

Chris
  18. andmoon

andmoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are the mounts strong enough to hold the bags as side bags?
    Thinking of getting 2 and bolting to the givi rear rack bars.
  19. mrk00k

mrk00k Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Saw this same trunk on tv last night. Discovery channel show called Wasted were they try to get people to be more eco-friendly. They were trying to get this dude to ride his motorcycle more and the host rode up on a KTM with this trunk on the back.

Got my trunk couple weeks ago. Installed on my tiger. Seems fine. Great deal for a not that great trunk. Hopefully it will last. WTF is with all this iron cross shit on motorcycles! Fucking ignorant assholes! Atleast it peeled off easy.

PS. I wouldn't try to mount them as side bags moon.

PPS. Does anyone know how they come off. Haven't tried it yet, but was just curious...
  20. sleazy rider

sleazy rider Green thumbed fool

Oddometer:
    Unlock the lock and push the red button. SPROING! Off it comes, just like the Givi.