Trying to decide r80g/s or 1150gsa for Norway/Iceland trip

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by steelerd, Aug 1, 2020.

1. steelerd

steelerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone hope we are all well :)

Bit about me 31 6'2 32 inch inside leg an 14 stone. Now the specs are outta the way I'm trying to decide on the bike for my dream trip to Norway an Iceland which I'm hoping to do with dad. He will probably end up going for the same bike I do.

Anyway so I've been going backward an forward for a few weeks now exploring options Himalayans etc an we seem to have narrowed it down to two bikes. The R80g/s monolever for ease of repair simplicity low seat height an just the fact they look darn cool.

Been looking at the 1150GSA as well which is the bike I grew up watching before I started riding as many did on long way round etc. Love the idea of wind protection on them but when i had my 1200 the size used to do my head in a bit off road.

Curious has anyone gone from the 1200's back to either of those had a 2014 1200gsa te and a f800gs previously. Took the 1200 off road a few times but it was a bit of a pain as I took it down a few things that went past being a gravel road.

Anyone done a similar trip from the UK or anywhere else round Norway an Iceland still planning the route at the mo. Would love to do some of the f roads while over there.

What would you guys do newer 1150 or the older r80 monolever? Anyone still using the 80's for trips how are you all getting on with them same for the 1150's or anyone owned both ? Be ace to hear your opinions.

Both pretty handy with a set of spanners when it comes to working on them I've just finished restoring a few Norton's an run a 650ss as a daily.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    R80 for sure. The 1150 is a big fat pig...I've owned a few. Me....I choose a Suzuki DR650. Do nothing to it except add luggage.
  3. steelerd

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply Tuckers :)
  4. eri

eri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tend to agree, while you may be big enough to muscle around an 1150, your dad would like a lighter bike
  5. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speed is not required here at all, speed here is about say max 50 mph. Another thing, what kind of roads? Gravel/offroad or asfalt? I own/have owned both. Both work fine, however for lomg distance touring, I would prefer the R1150GSA.
  6. steelerd

Oddometer:
    Thanks Eri an Zoef Just starting to work out the route hoping to do a bit of a mix of some gravel an asphalt :)
  7. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have any questions about Norway, feel free to ask.
  8. steelerd

Oddometer:
    Thanks Zoef really appreciate that :) Anything you would say is a must see? I was thinking of working our way up to the Nordkapp :) but not sure of anything on the way yet to look at just starting to look at the rough route.
  9. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me personally, Nordkap is not very interesting, just a landmark. Given the distance you have to travel (say at least 1500 miles one way), and average speed is about 30 mph, it will take a while (even more if you take a ferry). There are so many beautiful areas here, would propose fjords, mountains, high planes (eg Hardangervidda), road 55, 13, 7,9.
    eri likes this.
  10. steelerd

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate really appreciate that I'll check those out
  11. nobbylon

nobbylon Long timer

Oddometer:
    The later bikes are so much easier to ride long distances. I’d take an 1100/1150 over an old 800 every time.
    PaulBarton and lewisjr1 like this.