Trying to import a KTM, finally gave up

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jackr, Jul 22, 2008.

1. tingavert

tingavert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mike from ktm usa?
    do you have his email?
    that would make everything easier for me!

thanks
  2. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Isn't there a company that will export your non adminssible bike into Canada...for fee of course?
  3. tingavert

tingavert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yes I found a post where they ask between 500 and 1000$
  4. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    that's correct, the only way we could do it was through the importer www.miac.com that basicaly takes responsibility stating that "this vehicle is compliant" for $500. I still can't understand why you can't bring a non-compliant vehicle and have it certified traditionaly at a shop. That alone should prove that its compliant to our road regs. If not it would probably need a daytime running module or some other doodad to make it so.
  5. bEnt_bars

bEnt_bars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, I though that I've done my homework and looked good to go so I pulled the trigger on an 06 950S

Did the deal about a week ago, did all the paperwork and got the bike into Canada and was waiting on the Form 1 from RIV in order to get the inspection done and bike registered

Got home today and got a letter from RIV stating....

'Please be advised that we have reviewed the information on the vehicle and have determined that it does not meet Transport Canada's admissability requirements for importation and therfore is INADMISSABLE.

The Manufacturer has informed Transport Canada that this vehicle cannot be modified to comply with Canadian Safety Standards, and therefore it cannot be legally licensed or registered in Canada. This vihicle must be exported from Canada, and proof of export must be provided to this office'

What a kick in the nuts..:baldy

I have no idea why this is, an 06 950S is cleary included as admissable on the current RIV list but the letter is saying 'The Manufacturer has informed Transport Canada that this vehicle cannot be modified to comply with Canadian Safety Standards...'

Just thought I'd throw this out there before I contact them incase anyone has any insight or advice on how to deal with this...
  6. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    something must've slipped, contact them back and inform them that the vehicle is indeed admissible as per their list
  7. farmerger

farmerger Snowed in Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not to defend riv but for 2006 they only list the the 950 Supermoto. "2006 Models 950 SUPERMOTO (LC8)". That's all it says. For 05 and 07 the Adventure models are listed specifically.

That being said, I wouldn't export it just yet. I did a little bit of reading in the regs and, IMHO, the regs indicate that any vehicle can be imported as long as you can demonstrate that it meets the Motor Vehicle Safety Regs. Probably his easiest route is to contact the guys at http://www.miacinc.ca/ to help him get the documentation to show that it does comply with the Canadian regs.
  8. bEnt_bars

bEnt_bars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guess I jumped too early, turns out they only 'misplaced' their copy of the recall letter that was sent to them

They now have it and all is good

Can't say that the whole importing procedure is completely painless, it's a bit of work but in the long run I got a sweet bike for a much better price than I would have paid up here
  9. payner

payner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The import procedure is painless IF (big if) the bike you're importing is very clearly on all required "lists".
    I did it with an 06 DR650 and it couldn't have been easier. Did it with a Moto Guzzi >15 yrs old and it couldn't have been easier.

If the exact bike you wish to import is not clearly stated on the admisability list... well, welcome to government bureaucracy i guess!
  10. Hockeygod

Hockeygod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good advice Payner. I admit though, it would be tempting to look for a post-2007 KTM to get it up here... :evil
  11. gsstampeder

gsstampeder Long timer

Oddometer:
    This bullshit about Canadian corporations wanting everyone in Canada to buy in Canada is just that - bullshit. I just imported a bmw from the states this summer. BMW North America issued me a letter of clearance on recalls free of charge. I mean all they had to do is punch in my vin and presto, all the pertinent info appears. When I tried to register it here I was told that the letter had to come from BMW Canada - even tho BMW is a division of BMW North America (isn't it?) the only problem with that was BMW Canada wanted $500 for this letter. When I called them on it they told me it was to cover the administration process....bullshit! I told them I knew they only had to punch in my VIN so what 'administration service fee' would they need to do to justify a $500 fee. Well the truth came out that it was to deter Canadians from cross boarder shopping. There you have - from the horses mouth.
    What they (BMW Canada - KTM Canada) fail to realize is that all that really matters at the end of the day is that CANADIANS are buying THEIR product. Once we get THEIR product into Canada do they not understand that they will begin profiting from after sales service, parts, and continued customer loyalty?
    So why does matter where we buy it as long as we buy it.....:baldy
  12. tingavert

tingavert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, i contacted http://www.miacinc.ca/ and their price is 1000 plus 200 of brokerage. Also i was asking what i would pay for taxes if i was receiving the bike as a gift and they had no idea nor they spent a minute to look into that. So what is their service worth?
    I still want the ktm but i see that ktm really needs a boycott action. Plus the xc 800 is not that bad and could be imported as all triumph bikes.
    Again i can't understand the protectionism (I'm not canadian right) of a foreign company that is losing potential clients.
    I do not see a lot of ktm on the road here in ontario, more bmw, so if i were ktm i would try to pump a bit the sales. Right now i'm not selling therfore i (and the dealers) do not make money neither on parts and services. So i would try to make the import process easier. Because i do not care if it's ktm usa rather than the canadian branch that it's selling the bikes, i just want to sell more motorbykes. Who cares if the dealers here will lose clients (that number is close to zero anyway as now) Maybe in austria they have a special love for canada that push them to lose money to protect a market that doesn't exist. I could understand if we were talking of the canadian goverment but a firm in austria... It doesn't make sense to me.
  13. payner

payner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I find this very strange. How can BMW Canada say anything about recalls on an American bike? When I imported my Suzuki, I spoke with my dealership and Suzuki Canada and neither could help me as I was importing an American bike... ie they had no records on the American machine. I was then forwarded to Suzuki USA and received the letter by fax the same day and then received the original hard copy in the mail a couple days later.

Ah well, you're buying a BMW... you didn't expect it to be cheap did you :lol3
  14. tinbasher

tinbasher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What you are failing to understand is that bureaucracy exists only to continue it's existence. So the more hurdles that KTM and the dealers can put in place them better. So every time somebody tries to work thru the red tape and another letter of noncompliance or whatever. This justifies their job and maybe they can even get their cousin from the old country hired to help, and receive a nice pension, etc. Common sense is not very common in the house of commons.
  15. tingavert

tingavert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just bought and imported a new 2007 990 ADV.
    Love the LC8, even though I'm worried about hot temperatures in the summer.

I wish I could have bought the 2010 model paying even more, but KTM is not smart enogh...
  16. Strychnine

Strychnine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to import a KTM but haven't given up yet...

After hours of research the import process seems straight forward if my bike is on the admissible list. I'm looking for an 07 KTM 450 EXC so everything should be smooth.

However... there are an awful lot of 06 and 05 KTM 450 EXCs for dirt cheap and I'm tempted to try import one of those instead. Is this a bad idea? To further complicate things I'm not certain if an 06 could be registered for street use in Alberta. Does anybody know what would be required for highway use registration? I'm hoping its merely the statement of compliance that says "This vehicle meets all US regulations at the time of manufacture.." There are a lot of 05/06 KTM 450 EXCs titled for street use in PA but I'm not sure what happens when I take them across the border.

Any advice would be awesome! I'm working in Pittsburgh right now so US shopping is really convenient.

Thanks,
    Brad
  17. big adv

big adv I need supervision

Oddometer:
    What happens is, you will have to get an Out Of Province Inspection done. If the bike was not originally manufactured for street use in the US or Canada, it will not pass. And you cannot make it pass, the first point of inspection is the vin plate, it must state legal for road use. If it does not, the inspection stops. Actually, as soon as the registries run the vin and it comes up OHV, you cannot pass go, no street plate. Alberta Ministry of Transportation is cracking down, no more conversions allowed, even talk of withdrawing the 'grandfather clause'. Best to find one (07-) that is street legal
  18. Strychnine

Strychnine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just to confirm my understanding...

If I purchased an 08 or newer 450 EXC (which isn't on the admissible list) RIV will still accept the recall clearance letter and then send me for the RIV (Canadian Tire) inspection. There won't be any problems with the inspection because the VIN plate says "Highway Use" and the subsequent provincial inspection should also be good? :hmmmmm

I just want to understand if I should only be looking for an 07 or if anything 08 and newer will also be okay. It appeared the original poster was having troubles getting the recall clearance letter but I don't expect to have problems there because I have a US address.
  19. farmerger

farmerger Snowed in Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The problem is that only the 08 and newer 450 and 530 EXC came road legal from the factory. The second problem is, as you noted, nothing newer than 07 is on the RIV list. So yes you could import an 07 or older but problem number three is that you can't make an 07 or newer road legal in AB , or here in BC, anymore.

20. Strychnine

Strychnine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are you certain the 07 isn't street legal from the factory? I couldn't find anything definitive but at the end of the sixth paragraph in this review they talk about the 07 being 50 state legal.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/179/264/Motorcycle-Article/2007-KTM-450-EXC-First-Ride.aspx