TSDAT gpx

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Sleddog, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sean: "Ya know, I think we could make it if we unloaded the bikes and tried for that low spot over there."
    Me: :webers

[​IMG]
    Tiger993 likes this.
  2. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    @Sleddog, I don't know if @engineman has had a second to spare, so here's a link to my TSDAT album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/43899092@N00/albums/72157715899023162 As I mentioned to you, on this trip I shot mostly film cameras using Kodak Tri-X, sort of as an experiment to see if I really could shoot just film on a trip. The color shots in there are digital, but everything else is film converted at home.

We absolutely loved your route, particularly the bit south of Midland. I'm one week away from the ride, and I'm figuring out when I can make the return trip to finish the route and do the Dakal as well. Thanks so much for your work on this route as well as your hospitality.
    Sleddog likes this.
  3. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    @Orangecicle the pictures are great. I like the old school b&w film!
    I’m glad you enjoyed riding the route & hopefully you can finish it.
  4. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    I've already talked @RoundOz into heading that way in June. :) @engineman is changing jobs and can't commit yet . . . but he will. ;)
  5. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    Orangecicle made me commit to a date...I've been dreaming of the Dakal for years now, have accidentally ridden small parts of it before i knew it existed, and tried to ride it once on too big a bike by myself before getting snowed out.
    The June date gives me something to aim for with the 12 months of physio after a dislocated, broken, torn shoulder and broken bone in my hand, something to get me over the potential hump of fearing dirt and gravel.
    Those wonderful images and descriptions have made me equally keen to sample the TSDAT too.
  6. engineman

engineman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Shortly after getting back I quit my job and started a new business so I've been hopping. Wanted to take a few minutes and say that I loved what we did get to ride of the TSDAT. The riding was great and the scenery was fantastic. We got our ride cut short by weather but I am absolutely going to come back and finish this ride. I've also got to mention the great hospitality at @Sleddog place at the beginning of the ride.

Thanks again for putting this ride together

View attachment 2560191

20200906_153955.jpg

P1010013.jpg
    P1000839.jpg
    CavReconSGT, Sleddog and Orangecicle like this.
  7. Tiger993

Tiger993 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mid-winter thread bump. @Orangecicle I love your photos. The grainy B&W's of the open prairie and old structures are captivating.

I need to make this ride happen. For those of you who have ridden it, do you think it would be more enjoyable on a big bike or a 250 dual sport?
    engineman and Orangecicle like this.
  8. engineman

Oddometer:
    Between those 2 I'd probably go with the 250. It's really a perfect use for a 650 sized machine. Excuse to buy another bike?
    Tiger993 likes this.
  9. Tiger993

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input! No new bikes on the horizon for me, unfortunately, but I like how you think :evil.

I could either haul the 250 to Mitchell or ride it from Minneapolis on gravel. Hmmmm.....
  10. Sleddog

Oddometer:
    I’ve ridden it on a KLR & Vee Strom but prefer my WR.
    If you haul I can assist with storing your tow vehicle.
  11. Tiger993

Oddometer:
    I'm leaning towards hauling it so that would be great - I'll keep that in mind as I plan this out!
  12. engineman

Oddometer:
    The @Sleddog hospitality is first rate too!
    Tiger993 likes this.
  13. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Hey, @Sleddog, @RoundOz and I are planning to trek back to SD to finish what @engineman and I started last year. Our plan is to start in the first week of June by going back to the old abandoned farm south of Midland (got permission to camp there). The next morning we will head up to Midland and start the TSDAT route west. Do you know of anything from Midland across that we should be aware of? Do you think that part of the route is one day or two? I'm thinking that we can do it in one day, but not 100% sure -- haven't looked at the mileage.

[​IMG]
    Tiger993 likes this.
  14. Tiger993

Oddometer:
    I've also been working on this route this week and have the days roughly broken out to between 190-240 miles. This will be on a WR250R and assuming fairly dry conditions. What do you think @Sleddog - am I in the right ballpark on those mileages? I don't do a whole lot of flower-sniffin' when I'm on a trip like this, although I would like to grab some photos along the way.
  15. Sleddog

Oddometer:
    @Orangecircle, from Midland to Custer would be a long day. Better to make it two. Awesome camping on the loop trail south of Scenic. Don’t miss that little excursion!

@Tiger993, you’re pretty close. I usually figure about 200 miles a day.
    Tiger993 likes this.
  16. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    We were thinking of doing part of Midland to Badlands and then slabbing over to Custer, motel for the night, and a loop back to pick up the bits we missed back to the Badlands. But, you are saying wild camping on that loop south of Scenic is OK? That looks interesting. I was counting water crossings in that area and stopped at 15. :hmmmmm Camping at Sage Creek Campground didn't sound like my cup of tea based on the Trip Adviser reports. {crowded and loud}.
  17. Tiger993

Oddometer:
    @Orangecicle I had planned on camping at Sage Creek because there isn't much else around (or so I thought) but after reading Sleddog's comment, I now see that the Scenic Loop cuts right through Nebraska National Forest. Checking the MVUM, dispersed camping is allowed between mile markers 0 and 1.4 on FS road 7129 (Indian Creek Rd) which is just before all the water crossings begin. So that's my new spot :D

@Sleddog do you have any more camping tips along the TSDAT? I know of the Randall Creek Rec area, and I found a city run campground in White River, SD that might come in handy. I'd really like to find somewhere to camp on the section between Midland and Wall (MidSage) but I'm coming up empty and there doesn't appear to be much public land around there.
  18. Sleddog

Oddometer:
    There is a campground I like better than Randall Creek. Often I have the place to myself. It’s close to the River & view is pretty good! 43.09794 -98.77020

A local told me about & I’ve camped on Dowling Community Church grounds between Midland & Wall. It’s out of the way no traffic & quiet. 44.30112 -101.94860.
    Tiger993 likes this.
  19. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    If I paste both of those locations into Google maps, it takes me to somewhere in the Gobi desert in Mongolia, which I'm sure is well away from traffic and quiet. :lol3 I finally got it to work by putting a "-" in front of the longitude. 43.09794 -98.77020

In our trip last September, we made it from Sleddog's place over to Randall by way of the southern route. The main campground was full, so we ended up camping across the highway in a small campground there next to a guy with a massive generator with a muffler problem. And to make sure that he and his family had all of the air-conditioned comforts of home, he ran it all night long. It was quite a long day of riding to get there.

If you plan on riding the southern route and have not ridden this area before, be aware that gravel roads in that area are at times just fesh fesh and pea-gravel -- quite the tricky stuff. More than once I almost lost the front, and I run very knobby Pirelli Scorpion Rally front tires all the time and ride Iowa dirt and gravel all the time. :deal
  20. Tiger993

Oddometer:
    :fpalm

When you say the southern route, you mean the one on the Nebraska side, correct? I've not ridden any of it before so this is good info. Another reason to ride a small dual sport instead of a big bike :deal