TTXS 125

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by molochnik, Oct 9, 2019.

1. dirt hokie

dirt hokie Long timer

Oddometer:
    you want to put that ttr 125 in a lowered yz 125 frame.....or swap yz 85 suspension on to the ttr 125..... that would be a sweet trail bike for a smaller person who likes 4 strokes.
    Navin likes this.
  2. molochnik

molochnik Anhedonic Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I agree and was going to do that before it sent it to the farm in PA - the YZ85 stuff.
    unfortunately it won't be a street legal bike...and I just don't have the patience for the DMV nonsense anymore.
    dirt hokie likes this.
  3. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I’m enjoying this thread

As I had the rear tyre already from another project that had 16” rear wheel I looked for a GPZ900R front wheel. Then designed my own anti-dive front end with a lot of help from a mate who is also a master fabricator
    Worked surprisingly well

CB250 with DR600 tank seat and subframe laid on top

[​IMG]

Then put the CB twin motor into an old XR Frame
    Should have built that one

[​IMG]
    Tanshanomi and molochnik like this.
  4. molochnik

Oddometer:
    Dude, those are awesome, or perhaps brilliant in your parlance! I'm jazzed you're contributing to this thread; you appear to be a kindred spirit.
    There are a few things I truly love -
    Exposed mechanical systems
    Corn
    Obscure items in unexpected roles
    And some other things.
    That anti-dive probably works better than any of the monkey motion we saw in the 80s!

All of the advice against using the 125 in the XS chassis is well taken (although I don't remember you pooh-poohing it in particular). As I said, I have a line on an early WR with a plate. If the title transfers successfully as a street bike, I'll happily use that roller since it'll save me a bunch of work. I'm a big fan of the old-fashioned (now) open cartridge forks and I have a number of items hanging around from my YZ250 and 125 endeavors.
    In terms of power to weight ratio, the WR isn't really any heavier than the TTR, believe it or not. If this deal works out I can hopefully sell the TTR as a nice clean roller and maybe I'll continue using the XS as an experimental mule.

I thought I'd be transplanting already, but I gotta see where this WR thing goes. Anyone who's interested can stay tuned but in the meantime, I think Pezz_GS can keep us entertained.
  5. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    No I don’t mind the 125 motor option at all

It’s what you have to play with...

I have a neat Suzuki GT200 X5 motor niggling away in my minds workshop. Electric Start 2 stroke twin. I had serious thoughts about putting it in a PE250 chassis but need around $3,000 to finish it and coin was tight at the time

[​IMG]

Also have a nice BW200 swingarm doing the same thing......

C2A49746-5DD8-471E-A724-BA6B6149E67B.jpeg
    Navin likes this.
  6. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m DSing their air cooled 250 with a carb, but in typical “some assembly required” style.

It started as a FSE250E and the build thread is on here.

4ABE6055-78DD-41FC-9374-D6F1D3A9C6C7.jpeg
    molochnik and Pezz_gs like this.
  7. molochnik

Oddometer:
    I’ll check it out when I get time; sounds interesting.
    Meanwhile I’ve begun lacing up the 21 for the front. Haven’t trued it yet- working the washing machine right now.
    Somehow a shot of the hub with the 17 on it ended up out of sequence

Attached Files:

Navin likes this.
  8. molochnik

Oddometer:
    The truing rig

Attached Files:

Pezz_gs likes this.
  9. molochnik

Oddometer:
    I guess if I’m going for a speedway aesthetic I could do worse

Attached Files:

Navin likes this.
  10. molochnik

Oddometer:
    @Pezz_gs , I went looking for Navin’s build and came across a thread of yours. Quite the mad scientist!
    I’m glad you didn’t get a poo flung at you for doing anything other than a concourse restoration of the CB400!
    Love it!
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  11. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    Actually it has been well received and I made it basically reversible

It’s fun to ride on the dirt roads. Surprisingly very stable.
  12. molochnik

Oddometer:
    That’s good; I would get harsher judgment on this continent.
    I resto-modded a 59 Triumph Thunderbird for a customer-86 GSXR front end, Harley wheels and brakes, and unknown hours on the mill and lathe. I too was careful to avoid any permanent changes to the original parts...even if it was a basket case.
    In other news I’ve stripped the XS and put a scale under the back tire. Only 85lbs! Looking forward to seeing the front end weight.
    The main reason this bike seems a good test mule is the neutral geometry. Much like a flat track frame, but much more robust. I’ve had a few flat track frame builders warn me away from using their frames for anything else as they are too light and dainty.

Attached Files:

Navin and Pezz_gs like this.
  13. molochnik

Oddometer:
    I’m still holding out some hope on the potential WR frame. If the WR works out then perhaps I’ll have something close to a McQueen desert sled if I can cobble together a guard for the magneto.

Got both ends weighed and the XS roller is 150lbs.
    Weighed the TTR out of curiosity and it’s 180.
    Always felt heavier.
  14. molochnik

Oddometer:
    Meh, I just went and got my wife a used TW. It'll do just fine for reasonable off-roading speeds; the engine reminds me of the TTR125 quite a bit but has the capacity to do an indicated 70mph so far.

I saw a shot of a bike from the 2017 LAB2V. It appeared to be a Honda dirt bike (enduro) in a reverse trike configuration. I'm giving up on the WR - dude sorta went silent.
    If I can get rid of a bike or two I think the XS chassis will become a Spyder of some sort; just gotta find the right quad to saw up.
    Setting the 125 engine in the XS looked ridiculous and the Tdub seems to be what Mrs. M needs in regard to power characteristics, seat height, and general handling manners.
    Thanks for the interest/advice. Should I embark on a Spyder, or any other plans for the XS chassis, I'll be sure to offer up a thread for more entertainment.

Edit: BTW, Navin and Pezz have provided some interesting ideas. "Some Assembly Required" beats the hell out of any other custom bike forum I've seen so far. I didn't realize there was so much talent and ingenuity among the inmates...even if that sounds like a veiled jab, it isn't - very impressed in general