Tualatin mountains, Oregon, between Portland and the coast

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Suzy America, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Suzy America

Suzy America n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all :)

Monday I went out for a solo ride in the woods. Anyplace that didn't have all-day southern exposure to the sun was still in snow to some extent. In a few places the snow was up to maybe 12" deep. This location is at around 1200ft altitude.

This is my first time posting in Ride Reports, so mods please clue me in if this is the wrong place or format etc.

Here's the short video from the trip:

The bike is a modified CRF250L with fresh Trakmaster II tires.
    Oldschoolrocker and MojoRooster like this.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice, good to see there are some areas where the snow isn't that deep...lol. I've wanted to get out and ride TSF for a while, but know all the good single track will be buried until June if not later.

Were you trying to make it to the coast, or was this an out-and-back? Like that you brought a chainsaw and cleared some of the windfall, that's going to be a bear once we're able to ride the trails out there.

Pretty cool to get out and ride in the snow like that, not exactly easy. Like the opening with a nod to Star Wars :thumb
  3. Suzy America

Suzy America n00b

Oddometer:
    I have learned the hard way to carry a chainsaw most of the time. No trail system is perfectly maintained, and this one has been mostly neglected since the snow came in early February. Went through 2 batteries and both chains on that ride. Plus you get to leave the trail in better shape than you found it. If there's a partly-fallen tree hanging above the trail (the kind that might fall on a rider) I usually take those down too.

This was just a little ride though some random powerlines type territory. The snow was sketchy AF underfoot. Even with brand new Trakmaster II's @ 15psi it felt very squirrely. Most of the time I was spider-legging it or sometimes dragging my boots through the snow. Every once in awhile the front end would do something weird.
    RedDogAlberta and liv2day like this.
  4. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good on you, we do the same thing when out riding TSF, though we carry the small handheld saws. Not as quick/efficient as what you have, but a good thing to have in your pack if you're looking for something else to throw in your pack (lol).

I've had one of these for several years and use it regularly - good piece of kit: https://www.amazon.com/Sportsman-Pocket-Chainsaw-Survival-Emergency/dp/B00GMR0MZS
  5. Suzy America

Suzy America n00b

Oddometer:
    Here is the same general location, just one week later. Hiked in on foot with the chainsaw to start clearing all the deadfall that's been accumulating since I was last able to get in there.