1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Tubeless tire repair kit

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Cascao, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Cascao

Cascao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
  3. Zebraranger

Zebraranger MotoMore

Oddometer:
    I've been carrying one similar to this one for the last couple of years, fortunately I've only had to use it once on a rear flat tire.
    X001.jpg
  4. D2W

D2W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My experience with Stop-N-Go and a Michelin X-Lite was not so favorable, but the fault could have been mine (as the hole size was at the limit of the 1/4" maximum). The inner surface of my tire was slightly "honeycombed" by the cording, and I wonder if those features prevented the plug from completely sealing.

Or perhaps the non-sealing issue was due to the very low pressures we run? Perhaps the Stop-N-Go plug expects high air pressure to force the plug onto the hole and seal the leak? If so, the "slimey-rope" type of plugs may be better as they attempt to fill the hole with material.

In the end I glued a patch (using an automotive sized patch in a repair kit from the makers of Slime).
  5. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I have one of these from a supplier in the vendor area.
    Also great for self-defense in sketchy areas of the country :lol3

carbon_lg.jpg carbon_compartment_lg-M.jpg

http://motopumps.com/#works
  6. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like all these products... make me feel better and if I had them I should not have a puncture...,but it stays in the bike months after months maybe years.... should the plugs should be changed for new ones from time to time? Like we used to do with patch/glue for tube tire??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I think the simple answer is yes, however it would depend on the type of rubber and glue (if included) used with the plug kit on how often you would need to replace them.
  8. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great info!

I've been so 'lucky' with tires in my life. Some of that probably has been from being very machine and terrain aware. Very few issues in more than 4 decades.

I've never put a plug into a tubeless rear radial trials tire. A patch one time, for a carcass tear (didn't last that long).

Having a ranch with nails and mesquite trees I insert around 10 plugs a year into tubeless tires. I always slather plugs with cement. They go in easier and never leak. One time I put 3 plugs side by side (six plug cords) into a ranch truck sidewall tear and they amazingly held for months.

I've started to carry in my hydration pack some plugs, cement, a tool, and a neat little CO2 inflator and two cartridges. Aired up a front tire one time. It's reassuring to have some backup for trials after so many years of nothing.

I recently heard of Ray Peters and others using Tubliss on the front of trials bikes. Just never thought of doing that for an already low pressure tire. One benefit of Tubliss is plugs would address a front tire puncture bigger than Quadboss goo
    might stop with a standard setup.
    Norman Foley and Cascao like this.
  9. Overanalyze

Overanalyze because when given the option, I will overthink it

Oddometer:
    Had a flat on Friday. Found what appeared to be two leaks but must have been more as tire would not hold air (I use a mini pump). I am interested in emergency use of "slime" type product. Owner of dealership recommended it for this type of emergency but he said it wrecks the air pressure sensor. Does anyone have a view on this as in they have actually used the product and what the pros/cons are? Had a disaster with MOA and Progressive as they could not find the interstate that I was on (kid you not) so with the help of another ride, road it to a Harley dealer and then trailered it from there. Many thanks
  10. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I have seen SLIME used in an emergency on a back/tubed tire with success by a ride chum of mine. It was not on a BMW. :augie
    I would guess it could indeed spunk up a pressure sensor, yup. This bike had no such apparatus.

Oddly, two weeks later he reported that it was still holding air.

todd klr fat.jpg
    Overanalyze likes this.
  11. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dynaplug is an interesting idea. It solves the issue of having to push in a doubled-over plug and the insertion tool, and you just leave in that little tip.

I have had some pretty bad holes however, where doubled over was helpful. My record is to fix a side-wall tear with 4 plugs side-by-side so 8 cords!

I always use rubber cement and never insert the plugs dry. The cement makes the slid in easier and they seal every time.
    Kiharaikido likes this.
  12. Overanalyze

Oddometer:
    one challenge was the little ribbon plug thingys are sticky and when they get hot, like the other day, they stick together and will not go into the insertion device.
  13. Overanalyze

Oddometer:
    I have that as well but when the plugs get hot they stick together will not go into the insertion device. One comes preloaded so was able to plug one hole.