Tubes as an emergency fix for tubeless tires/

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by SK_in_AB, Feb 18, 2020.

1. SK_in_AB

SK_in_AB LOOKin to GS

Oddometer:
    I'm getting pumped about the new season arriving here in 60 days so I'm looking at my long distance tool kit. I have a tire plug and minicompressor for flats. Going to invest in beadbreaker tire irons, and I wonder if I should/could carry a couple spare tubes in case I get a puncture I can't fix with the plugs.

This F700 has alloy wheels not spoked - can you run tubes inside the tires as a temporary fix?
    But with the Heidenau Scouts I heard they are very stiff and hard to get off the rim. WOnder if I can successfully put a tube into this tire if I wanted to.

Any tips from the sage inmates are welcome.

thanks
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I have the F658GS and am recently back from 30K miles of every kind of "road" Central America and MX and throw at a bike.
    See my avatar.

I had, I think, 13 punctures over the course of the trip but all were addressed with good old gummie worms and my minicompressor.
    FWIW ... I'd vote for not taking tubes/irons.
    morfic and veg hed like this.
  3. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    Technically tubes in a cast rim are fine...IF you are willing to remove the cat rim valve stems.

Tubes are just an air retention device.

FWIW, I have a sealed Woody’s rear rim (*eg: tubeless) and a Woody’s front (*Needs a tube). I carry a spare front...just to be safe. But if I needed to go from tubeless to using a tube, the only chance I’d really need to change would be the valvestem. That’s just a job for a multi tool or pliers. That, and a really good balancing job but that’s not relevant to getting back to society...
  4. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    We usually take 1 tube (the largest of the wheel diameters, usually 21"). You can always stick a bigger a tube in a smaller diameter rim, since it's only really meant to be trail-side temp repair anyhow. All told, the rear is somewhat more likely to get a flat since the front tire will kick the nail up and then the back tire eats it.

We also baby powder them, vacuum pack, then cover vacuum pack it with duct tape. This way the tube is compact in size as can be, and also ensures if we ever do need it, that there are no holes in it.
  5. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depending on year if your 700GS. My wife has a 2017 and the valve stem on the front wheel is 90 degree on the mag spoke of the wheel, not the rim. So you would have to drill a hole on the wheel. So a tube would only work on the rear wheel.
    morfic, JRWooden and SnoDrtRider like this.
  6. SK_in_AB

SK_in_AB LOOKin to GS

Oddometer:
    Good catch. I hadn’t
  7. SK_in_AB

SK_in_AB LOOKin to GS

Oddometer: