Tubliss Long Term Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by n16ht5, Oct 5, 2012.

1. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've used them for the last three years on a KTM 525, 250, and now my new 500. Love the performance of them in the slick stuff and have run them with 0 PSI about 30% of the time trying to get traction on the slick wet clay.

[​IMG]

From my experience they do throw the wheel out of balance a bit more than a tube. On my DS bike I use spoke weights to balance and make sure you mount the lightest part of the tire next to the rimlock.

One issue i have with constantly over the last three years is inconsistency in terms maintaining a proper seal. I can ride the bike for months with no issues then all the sudden the tire (not the Tubliss inner tube) will not hold air. Yes I've checked for holes, punctures in the tire itself but the air escapes from around the bead according to my tub of water and I maintain the required inner bladder PSI. This has happened to me on all three bikes at one time or another so its not rim specific. Anyone else had these issues?
  2. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    I have that problem too sometimes.. usually fixed by lots of slime.
  3. funinthesun

funinthesun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well this settles it. im gonna get these for the ktm. and the ta. thanks for the great write up:D
  4. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:

it's about the same. I just use a spoke weight opposite from the rim lock deal. Put loads of miles on the street with it, works fine.
  5. team ftb

Oddometer:

Glad to see someone suffers the same misery and I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm curious what indeed causes the tire sidewall to lose its seal on the rim? Sadly over here there's no such thing as Slime available. I did try Fix A Flat but that did not solve the issue and just created a mess. This issue is utterly frustrating as I do a lot of multi day, multi week DS riding. Now when the tire goes flat on a day ride its a non issue as i just keep riding. when the tire goes flat and I'm in a different country as happened one time its a pain in the arse. When flat and I have to ride on dirt its a non issue, however if i have to do a couple hours of pavement it generates a tremendous amount of heat in addition to handling woes.
  6. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    latex/mold builder: x1
    water or blue windshield washer fluid: x3
    pepper 2-3 tablespoons per tire.
  7. Wadester

Wadester Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer:
    If you're using tire sealant - it acts just exactly like dynabeads. Any moving weight inside the tire will dynamically balance it.

My DIY latex sealant recipe is:
    1 part latex mold builder
    1 part Slime tubeless
    1 part cheap antifreeze or propylene glycol
    2 parts water (distilled is best, and use 1/4 clear ammonia for longer life)

Or get RV nontox plumbing antifreeze, which is PG and water mix for the antifreeze/water.
    Jeathrow Bowdean likes this.
  8. team ftb

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the homemade Slime recipes:clap.

How much are you pumping into the front and rear dirt bike tires?

So when I make a batch up and insert it into the tire (I'm assuming through the valve stem with the core removed) does the stuff allow the valve core to function normally for when airing up and down the tire or does it seal the valve core closed also? Any other maintenance with this stuff?

Now off to see if I can source Mold Builder over here, how the hell do i translate that into Thai:lol3.
    Bajaboundsmb likes this.
  9. Hosebag

Hosebag Difficult but Useful

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your efforts, appreciated.

What's the skinny on road use?

Typically, I'm riding my 690 60 miles of road to do a 60-100 mile off road day.
  10. milzispete

milzispete is it supposed to look like that?

Oddometer:
    Tubliss works great on my 690 on and offroad but balance your wheels or the chopping from the front will drive you mental on anything over 10k on road
  11. Wadester

Oddometer:
    6-8 oz
    Yes, in thru the valve w/core removed. Doesn't seal valve shut, but can hold it open a bit if fiber gets caught in the valve seat. I usually put the valve at 4 or 8 O'clock so the sealant drains out of the valve and it's not right in the pool so I don't get any out of the valve when checking pressure/removing air/adding air.
    They make the stuff over there! But may only be availabe by the shipping container. Over here it's Hobby Lobby. Anywhere that offers supplies for casting things out of plaster or resin.

Good Luck!
  12. team ftb

Oddometer:
    Awesome info Wadester, thank you.

Since HT16nt5 posts on his homebrew Slime style mixture I've been reading on other special homestyle sealant mixes and came across a thread on MTBR.com that's helpful. Wadester by chance you're not the same Wade on that site are you? If so have you noticed anything different/tips/advice for running it on dirt bikes VS MTB's? How long have you been able to utilize your mixture before it hardens or dissipates? Do you keep having to add new sealant?

Yep they have rubber tree's in the south of Thailand so the raw material is around somewhere. Once it comes out of the tree though it hardens into what looks like door mats for sale to the distributors of the rubber.

[​IMG]

Wish i was in the south instead of north Thailand to get the real stuff.
  13. Wadester

Oddometer:
    HA! Yes, I am the same Wadester. In thin MTB tires, the sealant usually goes for about a year before it has either dried up or been used up by punctures. Some people can listen to the tire for slosh and just add more sealant if they can't hear any. The only other way to check is to take it apart - or maybe a makeshift dipstick thru the valve shell? I usually just run to "failure" - either a worn out tire or a flat.

For moto use, I've only sealed the one bike I run TuBliss on - about a year ago. The heavier moto tires and possibly less thorns on the routes I take vs mtb mean I have only put air in once - and that was about 5 psi. I'm about to go do a longer weekend ride, so I'll probably just shoot in a couple ounces to each tire just for peace of mind. I use a 2oz utility (non needle) syringe and a bit of vinyl tubing to get it in there.

Also, you can carry a tire plug kit as an "in case" for the moto vs a spare tube as I do with the mtb.

For balance, you're back to static balance when the sealant dries out - but it seems to dry "in balance". At least I haven't noted any vibration on mine, and I use it for highway commuting as well as dirt.

The rubber mats are cured - dried out in the white, and then smoked to get the brown color (preserved better is the point, I think). Mold builder is the straight tree sap stabilized with ammonia to stay liquid instead of solidifying. That's why the recipe includes ammonia (or window cleaner, which only works if it's the ammonia kind). Keeps it from randomly coagulating before you want it to.
  14. Piston

Piston Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was wondering the same thing as I'd like to get the Tubliss setup for my 640.
  15. mattomoto

mattomoto 2 wheels rule

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the awesome write up and video's. Have installed them in my 650 Dakar and my Husky TE450.
    The Dakar regularly see's highway speeds and mucho dirt/rocks. The 450, is the single track bike and just loves the tubliss.
    Thanks agian! :clap
  16. team ftb

Oddometer:
    Wadester - What a small internet world. I'm 87 pages into the Best Tubleless brew thread on MTBR, tons of info and great input from Eurotrash and yourself. Can't wait to brew my own and give it a go. Thanks for your tips on using the Brew on the dirt bikes.

Off again on a ride tomorrow and once again the front is not holding air. Starting to piss me off as it'll be another day riding on a flat front.
  17. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:

when you get your sealant brewed up, take the tire off and sauce up the bead area REALLY well, as well as the whole red liner, making sure to work it into the sides and wheel mating area. It WILL work
  18. hamiamham

hamiamham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    really dumb question but why is there not a similar product for on-road riding? I mean - really - tires with tubes? what a pita. slow leaks are the bane of my existence.
  19. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    I use tubliss on the road works well.... ???
  20. Wadester

Oddometer:
    pavement bikes have cast rims and tubeless tires as a solution - but you can goop-seal all your spoke heads, get a tubeless valve stem and go for it.

Tubeless specific rims have a "retainer" lip just inboard of the bead seat area to keep the tire seated in marginal conditions. The TuBliss insert is an inflatable bead lock that clamps your tire bead to the rim bead seat. The "ghetto" method above can unseat a bead under conditions of low pressure and/or high side force.