Tubliss Long Term Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by n16ht5, Oct 5, 2012.

1. MFGamesta

MFGamesta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have 2nd gen Tubliss on 2 bikes. They both hold their air.

Installed 2nd set of tires and they hold air fine. I just use spray armorall. Lots of it. I also steel wool the rims to ensure a good seal.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    SFC_Ren likes this.
  2. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    What part of the rim are you using steel wool on? Tubliss doesn't seal to the rim anywhere, the bladder seals to the inside lip of the tire so I'm not sure why you would do anything to the rim. The tape is there to protect the bladder, that's all.
    Takataka likes this.
  3. kwb377

kwb377 It's All In The Reflexes...

Oddometer:
    I've installed 3 sets of Gen2.

In the instructions when they say to coat the liners with Armor-All, I just use a copious amount of soapy water (don't have Armor-All at the house)...never had any issues with sealing.
  4. MFGamesta

Oddometer:
    I steel wool the bead area as that area can be damaged with tire tools. Especially the way I use them.
  5. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just mounted the tubliss system on my 350 EXC.
    And found out something interesting that may or may not interest folks.
    I don't ride around in circles on my EXC--------I do things like BDR's and 3,000 miles in Baja with it.
    And................now with the tubliss I wanted to be able to top off the high pressure bladder anytime I pleased on the trail-----or anywhere.
    So I decided I'd carry my little Cycle pump from Best Rest Products with me-------I've had it for years.
    This one: https://bestrestproducts.com/product-category/cyclepump-ez-gauge/

But would it pump up to the required 100/110 psi required???????

I rigged a gauge to it and didn't expect it to do it--------but it went to 150psi and kept going.

So yes it will--------so I'll have to be careful and air up with short spurts of air and check with a tire gauge to make sure I don't over do it.

Anyway----if you don't like my method don't do it--------it's what I'm going to do on a ride. I have no idea if other pumps will do it----but the cycle pump will.
    I'll be in places where finding a station with an air compressor is not an option.
    And riding 250 miles out on a flat is not what "I" want to do--even tho it can be done.
    Now I don't need to.
    My high pressure bicycle pump will do it-------but holy moly----it gets very hard to do.
    BigDog
    WRW9751, BaldKnob and ProLeisure like this.
  6. Tipmethewink

Tipmethewink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use the best rest pump but use their gauge inline so I can see what pressure I'm up to as it inflates.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
  7. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Yep----that would be better.
  8. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I use valve caps that have the red/green pressure reading. That way I don't have to disturb the high pressure side while on a multi day ride. The high pressure side is usually good for over a month, without having to top it up.
    trc.rhubarb, ProLeisure and BaldKnob like this.
  9. ProLeisure

ProLeisure Gimme shelter... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wake up call likes this.
  10. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
  11. MFGamesta

Oddometer:
    I do this. There quite a few light-weight bicycle pumps that go over 120psi at bicycle shops with in-line gauges. Most of them come with a presti/schrader converter. I ruined one pump as I didn't know this so make sure you read the instructions. Or just get the tech at the bicycle shop to set it up for you.
  12. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Yes----------I have a brand new high pressure good quality bicycle pump (road bike pump)----but man when I approached 100 lbs. I could hardly push the pump-----that's when I decided to just use the electric.
    But................I'm old.
    WRW9751 likes this.
  13. WRW9751

WRW9751 7th Day Adventurist

Oddometer:
    Question I would have is the cycle inline gauge only goes to 100psi every time I check my high-pressure blatter I seem to loose some psi. Tubeless recommends 110psi. How in the world are you to achieve that? Is Close good enough? I have been using a floor type bicycle pump. Still not all that sure I'm getting the right presure!
  14. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    I shoot for 110PSI reading, IF I mess up the disconnect and bleed more air.. might re-do. When I've checked typically I'm only losing 2PSI on a good disconnect.

For in the field I carry a bell airstrike 500 pump, it's designed to go up to 120PSI.. it's worked well for me and the built in gauge seems accurate enough.

My tubliss instructions say 100-110psi, so anywhere in that range is good IMO.
    WRW9751 likes this.
  15. Tipmethewink

Tipmethewink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The needle goes past the 100 psi max shown on my gauge so I just guesstimate. I know it's over 100 and it's hardly leaked any out when I've check so I'm close enough for my liking.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
  16. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    My high pressure tubes drop from 110 to about 90 psi in about a week. And they like to stay around 90 for weeks if I don't ride. Weird.
    WRW9751 likes this.
  17. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    My statement is based off of the red/green caps, it usually takes well over a month before the red starts showing up on the cap. On my dirt bike, I don't run the caps, I just set my compressor to a little over 100 and put the air chuck on for a few seconds. Either way, they hardly leak.
  18. MFGamesta

Oddometer:
    I just finished up an interesting email conversaton with Jeff at NUEtech regarding the pump they sell. Did you know they sell a pump?

https://www.nuetechonlinestore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MFP

Regarding air loss, he stated what we all know.
    And the 100psi bladder only loses approx. ½ of a psi per day due to permeation – BUT you can lose up to 10psi each time you check it with your gauge due to escaped air. I run mine up to 120psi and know I am good for a couple of weeks. –

I asked him why he is running at 120psi? His reply was
    We just recently upped it to 120psi – the concern is some gauges are way off – fyi The burst is close to 175psi -

So 120psi is now the prescribed starting pressure. :nod
  19. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Anyone ever test how low you can go before the tire gets loose on the wheel? Just thinking that if the tire would hold with a tube at 15psi (not well without a rimlock but hold) that even 60psi would be more than adequate.
    It's really the one thing keeping me from switching over... well that and the stash of tubes I still own.

When they are gone, I know what my next purchase will be.
  20. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've run it in the 60s when commuting and its never been an issue. I only air it up when I do a full day of offroading. Then again on a wr250r the torque ain't exactly crazy.
    Tipmethewink and trc.rhubarb like this.