Tubliss Long Term Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by n16ht5, Oct 5, 2012.

1. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok so i got quite a bit of riding with the mt43/tubliss setup. About 10psi front&rear all the time. Almost no pressure lost in the tire, very slow leak in the high pressure chamber (i have 100 psi indicator caps on these, works perfectly fine).
    Great on the rocks and dry loose stuff, very good traction and "plushness". No mud yet but very good so far, and these are my most frequent riding conditions.
    Pavement... well at start i had a really big front shimmy between 30kph and 70kph. Peak at 50kph and it completely disappeared with speed.

As i had lost some fork oil due to a leaking seal very recently, i pulled the fork out to adjust oil level and took time to be carefull with wheel/fork/axle alignement. Checked the wheel bearings. Also raised the front as much as possible as the mt43 rear tire is so high. Used the clevis adjustment on the rear shock to lower the rear a bit too.
    Shimmy is still here at the same speed, but much less noticeable than before (with hands on the handlebar). Remove hands and you still see it clearly, once again with less amplitude than before my little maintenance. It's "okay" on straight line but still feels a bit weird in low speed cornering on pavment...

I've had (not for long) both an untrued front wheel and an unbalanced front wheel in the past and it didn't feel like that. The shaking would increase with speed in these cases and would be really frightening and kill your arms, here it disappears above 70 kph. The tire doesn't look damaged or asymetrical at all, looking at the wheel from any angle while spinning it everything looks normal. The wheel was balanced before putting sealant in it, i don't think i fucked up the balance but who knows? Maybe i put too much sealant in it (to the point that only relatively high speed spreads it completely in the tire?)

I was thinking about trying to eject as much sealant as possible (maybe i can be lazy and avoid removing/refitting tire by simply deflating the tubliss and put some pressure in the tire) and see how it rides, if not ok clean it all, rebalance and see how it rides without sealant.
    Any other idea?
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  2. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    So what type sealant are you using??
    I have found I experience some of that type vibration at low pressures.
    I have attributed that to the blatter/rim lock.
    I suggest you try inflating the front tire to 30 psi and riding to see if the condition goes away.
    And as I have mentioned before, I use slime diluted/thinned with auto antifreeze.
    :hmmmmm
  3. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    OKO (UK company) sealant. Testing with a more road oriented pressure makes sense, i'll give it a try, thanks.
  4. ChasM

ChasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see that you balanced the front wheel. Did you by any chance also balance the rear wheel? The out of balance caused by Tubliss is at least as much or more than a single rim lock. I know from experience that a 4-5 oz out of balance rear wheel causes lots of problems, including shimmy plus weaving and dangerous instability at higher speeds (80+ mph).
  5. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes rear wheel was also balanced and i re-checked alignment. Things are actually OK at 'higher' speed (up to 145 kph-90mph).
    Did not have time to test higher tire pressure yet, will do this WE.
  6. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc BMW R1200 GSA LC and S1000XR rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, after buying a kit for the rear 18 on my Husky almost 6 months ago, finally went for it today.
    Install has a learning curve, no doubt. But all went well, although in slow motion with a lot of pain.
    Used armorall for the inner bladder isntall, then went with Stans for the tire. Brushed it on insides and outside on the bead area.
    So far no leaks, sealed up pretty tight.
    Mounted in a Maxxis rear only for now, the front will be a Fatty with tubliss that I have ordered from Slavens.
    WRW9751 likes this.
  7. Retired and lovin it

Retired and lovin it Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going on 4 years with same tubliss units in my KTM 200, I check HP side routinely usually down to 100 psi after a month so bump that up to 120 and good for a month. Like it very much.
  8. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Follow up on this, i neglected the mighty 250 for a few weeks. Tried today with 28 psi front and 16 psi rear. No shimmy/vibration at all, cornering is ok, removing hands from the handlebar is ok (not at the same time!). Happy rider. Well, not so happy, I was hopping to be able to go super lazy and ride everywhere with low pressure haha..
    kenstone likes this.
  9. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 I am 2 years into a setup on my “too wide” KTM 690 rims. Hardly ever have to top off the HP chamber and have changed tires on both ends a couple of times. Bullet proof in my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nk14zp likes this.
  10. Phi1osopher

Phi1osopher metaphysician

Oddometer:
    Check this out!
    After more than 2 years of searching I finally found a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) that works with the Tubliss system on my bike!!
    I haven't written a review yet, but this is PERFECT! I've bought several over the years and so far this is the only I've ever found which will display the Tubliss's 110 pressure in PSI (nor BAR) next to the main air chamber's pressure -- regardless of whatever it is... And to do this with 109% programmable alarms, plus it displays the air temp in each of the 4 air chambers, AND displays the bike's voltage, all in a compact, sturdy, mostly waterproof, easy to read unit.

I've experimented with 110 in the Tubliss and various pressures from 5 psi up to 40 psi in the main chamber. I've tested the high pressure display to over 125psi and itseems to display correctly. It has easy to set, programmable high and low pressure alarms, temp alarms and some other settings I don't quite understand - I think it has something to do with rotating your 5 tires + spare, but not sure.

At the time of writing this I've only had it on my bike for about 3 weeks, so it's not yet been tested in heavy rain, nor any long, gnarly Mexico off road trips..

I'm very excited to be able to casually and easily see all pressures at a glance!!

Onewell Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Wireless TPMS with DIY 4 External/Internal Sensors, Cigarette Lighter Plug Display, Temperature Gauge and Bat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZSTZ8Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_LPELyy8YZBE5X
  11. goyko

goyko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had my tubliss for about a year. No problems what so ever. I’m running 7psi. Riding just on the gnarly hard Enduro stuff. Rocks, climbs, deep forest and mountains. Very little single track and that’s it. So far they’ve been awesome.
  12. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    I've had mine for about a year also, works as it should. The Kenda Parker DT tires I'm running are pretty stiff.. and 5-6 seems to work well for me in the rocky and sandy terrain we have around here. I have yet to experience tire damage, so haven't tried plugging yet.
  13. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are your rim widths?
  14. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am running the stock wheels/rims the bike came with. For some reason I can't lay my hands on the size right now but I do know they are wider than the stated size spec'd by Tubliss. Lot's of folks here doing the same on their 690's and 701's.
    Kiwirich and nk14zp like this.
  15. ChasM

ChasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The rim width most likely is 2.5" rather than the standard 2.15". I ran a 640 cush hub on my '04 KTM 540 EXC with a 2.5" rim width and it was compatible with Tubliss with no issues.
    Kiwirich likes this.
  16. iconia

iconia Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I installed Tubliss on my 640 Enduro, with front 90/90 21 1.6 Rim and 140/80 18 2.5 Rim.
    Both wheels have Heidenau K60 Scouts and tire slime installed.

I usually run 30 psi on the street and 15 on the dirt.
    I've been riding to and from work for about 800 miles and 60 miles of dirt. Up to 80 mph.

No issues yet.
    ChasM likes this.
  17. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    Recently I've noticed my rear tire losing pressure somewhat fast, from 30PSI to 0 over night. I'm not running any sort of sealant. I cleaned up the rim area, removed valve stems from both valves and unseated the bead (while on the bike). Squirted in soapy water into the bead area, making sure it got inside the 'main chamber' and on the seating surfaces. Re-inflated, mucho better now. I tend to run 6PSI off road (Parker DT tires with stiff sidewall), figured low pressure may have allowed it to unseat a bit. My front has sealed up super nice, loses a few pounds a week tops.

I will likely try quadboss sealant next set of tires, just as insurance against the hassle.
  18. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took my DR650 on a 2 week trip, ran about 2,500km - Tubliss on front and rear (DR350 18" Wheel), many of those kilometres were open road 100+ kph riding. No top up of air required during the trip, usually the front needs air after a few weeks but the rear almost never does. I have never been worried using my Tubless for road riding, I have read the horror stories but think that bad stuff can happen with the standard tubes too.

Since then I've sold my ST1300 and then traded the DR650 in for a CRF1000L Africa Twin. Unfortunately the new bike, even though it has an 18" rear wheel, looks to be a no-go for Tubliss due to 4" width. I'm going to look at sealing the rim because I really hate tubes and have gotten used to not needing to deal with them. If I'd bought another bike that could run Tubliss then I definitely would keep using it. I think the Tubliss system is great for eliminating tubes, even better for bikes that sometimes benefit from airing down the wheels for better off-road grip - gaining the advantage of a 360 degree rim-lock.
    PoleRbear, ChasM and braindead0 like this.
  19. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I have Tubliss at home for a while now, but today that I wanted to mount it I notices some damage inside of my old rim, that makes me think that tubliss will not seal. Also spoke ends are rusted as hell.
    [​IMG]

Most of the install pictures I have seen are on almost new rims, I might just stick with tubes for a while until I get a new rim?

Any suggestions?
  20. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    The Tubliss seal is between the outside edge of the red liner and inside edge of the tire. Tubliss does not seal to the rim. It should work fine based on your picture. Just sand down any sharp edges on the wheel and install per the instructions.
    Yard Sale, ChasM, AdvRich and 5 others like this.