Tubliss Long Term Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by n16ht5, Oct 5, 2012.

1. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    Kenda Parker DT tires are really stiff, even with the heavy bike and my 280# on it, 6 psi provides a nice contact patch and gobs of traction. So far it's been the best compromise in the sand and rocks in the desert. I don't ride terribly fast, lots of loose rocky single track stuff at 10-20mph. Front end feel good to me, even higher speed sliding the rear around turns.

I landed on 6ish PSI by trial and error, running less didn't provide any perceived benefit. I'll often run 10psi if I'm likely to end up on any pavement or long stretches of 50+ MPH dirt roads.
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  2. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Picked this up 30 minutes into a ride... IMG_0535.JPG
    Thanks to Tubliss, it takes 5 minutes to repair... IMG_0536.JPG
    I've been using the system on 3 bikes for the last 8 years and have never had a high pressure failure. I did swap bladders recently in the 1st Gen but probably didn't need to. Just be careful with the red liner during install, tire changes and when repairing a flat...don't bugger it up reaming the hole for the plug!!!
    trc.rhubarb and braindead0 like this.
  3. bpeterson

bpeterson no other way to say it

Oddometer:
    I need to do the same - did you do anything w/the previous soapy water (or Armor All) that was previously used to seal the bead, or just air down and add slime to main chamber?
  4. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing. I think they recommend that you either Slime OR the other method, but I definitely did Armor-All then Slime. And I'm not stingy with the Armor-All either, I spray that shit like it's free.
    bpeterson likes this.
  5. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Even when I was 320lbs, I ran my Michelin Desert Race front at 8psi on tubes. No Tubliss yet but that's where the tire felt great, especially in sand. Some tires just seem better suited for very low pressures.
    Rogue_Ryder likes this.
  6. braindead0

Oddometer:
    There are 2 different lube 'processes'. The AA is for installing the high pressure tube, the soapy water is for installing the tire. Two completely different purposes. Tire sealant is only used in place of the soapy water, not AA (or other similar lube) for the high pressure tube.
  7. MFGamesta

MFGamesta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use AA for the whole install. 3 bikes. No leaks unless sitting for a few days. Armor All all over myself, garage, dog.... No leaks during long weekend rides. 1 roadside puncture repaired on trail with plug and plugged tire lasted a few more hundred miles on it with plug sticking way out.
    NoelJ likes this.
  8. kwb377

kwb377 It's All In The Reflexes...

Oddometer:
    I've installed four sets of Tubliss and have only used lots of soapy water for install, no ArmorAll...never had any issue with sealing. Not sure if it's talent or luck.
  9. darkhelmetnl

darkhelmetnl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have installed tubliss on my WR250R. Installation is definitely something to get used to. Lots of lube is the answer (like always).
    I also used Ride-on sealant for balancing, lubing and obviously, sealing a puncture.

I left the bike for more then two months and the bladder pressure was still around 95psi. I haven't ridden of road yet, but that will come soon.

Monday the bike will fly to Canada, so time will tell if they can stand up to that as well
  10. Snks

Snks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From what I was told and did, I sprayed armor all on the inner bladder and then put 6-8 oz. of slime in the tire. Armor all and slime are ok together but not soap and armor all.
  11. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I slimed and AA'd too and all seems fine months and years later.
  12. braindead0

Oddometer:
    The AA and soapy water aren't in the same process. AA is to lubricate the high pressure bladder and where it touches the rim and liner. Soapy water lubricates the tire and where it meets the outside of the liner. Installation instructions call for AA and soapy water, the soapy water is not used if you are using sealant in the low pressure side.. Not sure where you think I said to mix soap and AA?
  13. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used AA for HPB and then Stans for tire mounting lube and for sealant. No problems so far and pressure holds well.
  14. VonBiker

VonBiker Work sucks and then you RIDE!

Oddometer:
    Any recommendations on a tire puncture kit? Going through my tool kit this weekend and realized that i dont have one. Installed the tubliss last year and have not had any problems Happy with it so far!
  15. goyko

goyko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don’t need one. Even if you loose all air, bead still can’t be broken. So you can just ride back.
  16. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:

Regular car tire plug kit with a couple CO2 cartridges. I prefer the plug kits that have a screwdriver type handle instead of the T handle. I also put rubber tubing over the tools to keep them from puncturing me, during a crash.
  17. ChasM

ChasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I don't agree.

A plug kit plus CO2 or a small pump is lightweight and easy to carry, plus some tires do not like to be run flat.
    Yard Sale likes this.
  18. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    Yeah, people have ruined their Tubliss red liners by running on flat tires. Carry a plug kit and small hand pump.
    ChasM likes this.
  19. darkhelmetnl

darkhelmetnl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So far the stats in my tubliss:

Done about 2500 miles. They're doing great.
    The tubliss bladder doesn't lose much pressure at all.
    The tires neither.

It also survived a plane transport
    Yinzer Moto and SFC_Ren like this.
  20. Ptjeep

Ptjeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have tubliss on a few bikes and love it. Rear only so far.

As for the comment about not needing a plug kit and riding it flat, you can and I did for 35 miles back to the truck. No issues at all. But like stated above, the red liner will be trashed when you get back if you ride far enough. Mine was so I called tubliss just to get some advice on how to prevent that from happening again and they told me that some slime in the tire keeps the rim lock lubricated enough that when it makes contact with the tire(every rotation), there is no friction which is what ruins the red liner.

I had plugs but the tire was cut in a way that it couldn’t be plugged.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.