Tubliss Long Term Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by n16ht5, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    delete...sorry
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have run similar distances on flats when I put big cuts in tires. I run the Stan’s sealant, based on your explanation, that must be why I never experienced and bad effects from running flat.
  3. Ptjeep

Ptjeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s good to know that it works, I’ve often wondered. Thanks for posting.
  4. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Installed Tubliss F and R on my 701 (wider rims than it's made for, same as 690) when I installed new GT 723 tires. Rear went fine, got it first time. Front wasn't sealing, did reset, still not sealing, took front off and put back on (then off and on again after I realized I reversed tire), I think it wasn't sealing because I had pulled some of the rim tape up onto shoulder with spoons, cleaned that up while tire was off and it's holding now. No sealant used, just lots of soapy water. Armor-All all over the inside/out of red liner. Used spoke weights to balance.

Ran a few hundred miles in VT ATV/snowmobile trails, gravel, etc at 15/15psi. Just did TWVT at same 15/15. Had a great time, no issues with tires at all. I pumped everything up before I left, aired down tire chamber once I got out to the route then aired back up the night before finishing and heading home, didn't appear to lose any pressure in the tire chamber, didn't touch the high pressure chamber. Am looking forward to airing down even lower for the sand in the Pine Barrens in NJ. So far so good, no regrets and I haven't even lowered pressures more than I would with just tubes...
    SmittyBlackstone and SFC_Ren like this.
  5. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just wait till you try <10psi off road. That's where the magic really starts and you have to question whether you are actually cheating :nod
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  6. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Coincidental, though. Rim tape has nothing to do with sealing. It protects the inner bladder from abrading on the the nipples.
    Yard Sale, Yinzer Moto and braindead0 like this.
  7. shiftymike

shiftymike Hooligan Schmooligan

Oddometer:
    Well shucks after 3+ weeks and 1200+ miles of Tublissfull riding I have been snake bitten. Took a short ride on pavement only to find my tire getting squirmy. Noticed it was low arriving at a friends. Went inside to 10 minutes and asked to use a pump. When I went back out I noticed the tire looking completely flat. Rode gingerly around the block to the garage. Found that the high pressure chamber was completely flat. Pumped up 105, took a lot of muscle to get past 80. Pumped outer chamber bead would not seat. Figured I needed a compressor but when I checked the high pressure again it was 0. Pumping it again it would not hold air. I just took back to Woody's to remove.

From my previous experience it's likely going to be a separation of the valve stem from the tube. Watched the install video last night. The knurled valve stem nut was run down to the rim, rather than snugged up to air cap. Must have been stressed when tire went completely flat. Wish I had caught that detail when I brought wheel back to be balanced after initial ride!
  8. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I have had a maybe 2 per year fail at the stem. I don’t tighten the nut down, it stays up against the cap and I never notice the stem being angled. I have started replacing the inner bladder every 6 months or so. That reminds me, that is something that I should add to my maintenance log.
  9. goyko

goyko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve had mine for about two years. Not a single problem. But again, I’m using them only for dirt technical riding. No pavement or long stretches of high speed
  10. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I have 2 bikes with them, I also go through a lot of tires, maybe 2 tires per month average for the year. 20+ per year. My theory is that is where the valve stem sees the most abuse, when changing the tire. I have gotten more careful and change the inner bladder more frequently and have not see an issue recently.
  11. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    2 seasons here as well, on second set of tires (about to be third)... 99% dirt. I'd suspect that a lot of street, on powerful dirt bike may stress things a bit more.
    goyko likes this.
  12. whizzer929

whizzer929 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How often do you guys check the pressure of the inner tube (high pressure)? Also tips on what gauge or procedure used to check it? It always seems like I let a lot of air out when I check mine. Also, Also, what are the long term maintenance items? Relube, re Armor All, etc etc.
  13. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    I mostly do day rides, often via the back of my truck. I top up mine to 110psi before every ride, typically they don't lose much unless I haven't ridden for 2+ weeks. I haven't done anything maintenance beyond air, I'm only getting a season/season and half out of the tires so new tires I'll slather the liner with armorall and tube/low pressure area with soapy water during install.
  14. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    On my dirt bike, I turn my air compressor on, and stop it at 110, then I just hit the tubes real quick before a ride. If it takes more than a millisecond before I hear the air to quit going in, I consider changing the bladder.

On my dual sport, I have the Red/Green pressure caps, I have gone for month long rides and never needed to add any air.
    braindead0, Tipmethewink and Lutz like this.
  15. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Time has come to replace my first set of tire, which were used with the tubliss on the wrr.
    They were both mt43, "trial style" with tubliss. I'm pretty happy with them and already bought a replacement rear. The front is still "okish" but as i have a planned multi-day ride which may be a bit hard for me and could feature a bit of sticky mud/ruts between a lot of rocky stuff, I'm looking for that trial "feel" with the low pressure cheat from the tulliss+ still some decent street capability (and wear with appropriate pressure) but with a bit more lateral grip for the front.

So i'm considering Motoz mountain hybrid or extrem hybrid. Was thinking the first one which should be closer to the mt43? If i understand it right only the thread differs (more agressive on the extrem), so the other difference with the mt43 will be a stiffer sidewall?
  16. EP Chris

EP Chris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been running tubliss a few months now on a plated DRZ400E with Rideon motorcycle sealant. At first the front tire would lose air over the course of a week, but that has since stopped. Now the back looses air over the course of a week... Minor annoyance, still much better than running tubes out here where the thorns are an inch and a half long should you venture off the beaten path, as often happens unintentionally...

I was running the 110 PSI red/green caps but I had one fail. It was letting air leak out. Noticed when I got home from work the red was showing, took it off and checked pressure, 40 psi. Tire was at 0 psi. Amazingly I still rode home just fine without the bead coming unseated. When I put the cap back on it started spewing air, so it is now retired on my shelf. I check the high pressure tube each morning before ridding and top off if its below 90 psi. I just turn on my compressor and let it get to 110, then hit both the bladders.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  17. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    This, I've gone plenty long without needing to top off. I usually make sure they are at 110psi when I leave on a trip and then only top them off if it the caps start showing red. I carry a Fox Mt Bike Suspension pump for topping up but I have never had to use it during a trip. I have confirmed the pump will pump them all the way up and the valve fitting is set up so you don't lose any pressure when disconnecting.
  18. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just swapped rear tire for first time after initial install. Was surprisingly easy with no tube :).

What tire irons are you guys using? (Hopefully this isn't an oil thread type of topic.) I bought a set of these from amazon a while back: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DK2VOS6/ and while they work, I feel it's pretty hard to keep them from sticking in too far and grabbing things they shouldn't.

I'm looking at these motionpro ones that appear to have smaller lips:

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0006
    or
    https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0051

or like this: https://smile.amazon.com//dp/B00RKXO43O/ Seems like this would hook on and barely stick past edge of rim.

Any ideas?
  19. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc BMW R1200 GSA LC and S1000XR rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    DSTuTz, the ones in your first link for 10$ are the bomb. I have 4 of them on the bike always and use them to change tires.
  20. goyko

goyko Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I use these and love them.
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/motion-pro-extra-long-steel-tire-iron
    trc.rhubarb likes this.