Tubliss Long Term Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by n16ht5, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is the valve stem failing. The valve stem has about a 1” diameter rubber flange. That is then adhered to the tube. I believe it is from pulling on the red liner too hard during tire changes. It really should not happen, the valve stem sound be on there better than that.
  2. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    Maybe allowing the nut on the HP tube to seat against the rim causing stress where the stem should be allowed to flex? It's all conjecture, however I've noticed that if i don't snug the nut up TIGHT to the cap.. at least on the rear the nut tends to end up on the rim.
  3. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was riding the Big Levels jeep trail in VA yesterday and when I got to the bottom found out my rear tire was completely flat. It's pretty rough and rocky and I had no idea how long (but I can't imagine it was too long) it was flat for but there was no pressure. The high pressure chamber was still holding strong at 103psi. A few minutes with my Nealy Mini plug kit and Motopumps Airshot and we were on the move again. +1 for the convenience of dealing with a flat.
    I have a little bit of slime in my rear tire now since my GT723 was leaking through the carcass all over the place and that didn't appear to help me out here.
    braindead0 and Stroked 550 like this.
  4. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    I mix auto antifreeze with the slime 50/50 and know it's working when I see little green dots on my tires after a ride.
    Today, auto antifreeze is already 50/50 with water as sold.
    I use the same mix for bicycle tubes...
    Give it a try,
    :lol3
    cmbthumper likes this.
  5. trailrider77

trailrider77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2019 KTM 690 Enduro. Given the width of the rims (1.85 front and 2.5 rear), I'm wondering if they are too wide for the Nuetech Gen 2 tubliss system? Has anyone w/ a 690 ran this system and if so have you had any issues w/ the system not sealing and holding air? thx
  6. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Running Tubliss for several years now on my 690. I'm about to take it into Mexico for 10 days on them! They work just fine on the wider rims. YMMV
    braindead0 and trailrider77 like this.
  7. GoatKiller

GoatKiller Mister Sarcasm!

Oddometer:
    I just saw this product today and just thought I would share.
    Not affiliated in any way, just seems like it would be useful (hopefully faster) in dealing with any failures:
    thumbnail-7.jpg
    thumbnail-6.jpg
  8. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    That is for bicycles, the plugs are tiny compared to auto/mc style of plugs
    Redneck-Hippie and Yinzer Moto like this.
  9. NED RECK

NED RECK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had a new 21" and 18" gen 2 hanging on the wall for 2 yrs. This thread has been supper helpful at raising my confidence on Tubliss. WR250R here and I have a thing for BDRs. I run an MT43 R and an MT21 F. Fully loaded. If I install, what pressures should I run for the slab sections to preserve some rubber? 60-65 mph, maybe 500 mi of asphalt total. No trailers.
    I say confidence because of lotsa solo. Thx
  10. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The same pressure you'd run without Tubliss. Also, the manufacturer would suggest you buy new "bicycle tubes" before you install the system if they've been hanging around for 2+ years. I'd suggest you buy about 10 ounces of spoke weights and do a good job balancing your finished wheel assemblies!
    BaldKnob likes this.
  11. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Nothing to do with tubliss but regaring the MT-43.
    Mileage for me is amazing at about 15-18 on my DRZ. Any more and the knobs chunk.
    I've also done 600+ miles at over 65mph with <8psi and suffered no ill affects.
  12. trailrider77

trailrider77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For my 690 I installed tubliss on my front and it’s holding air. However on my rear it’s not and for now decided to install an ultra heavy duty tube. I think I may have damaged the tubliss when installing on the rear rim. The high pressure holds air but the low pressure has air coming out around the valve stem. That tells me I don’t have a perfect seal. Sigh.
    dstutz likes this.
  13. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Minor leaks are common if the bead is not fully seated and can be exacerbated by mold ridges on the tire. I install my tires using Stan's latex compound as a mounting lube and then add a few ounces after balancing. When the tires come off, you can see where the bead was sealed against the red liner. YMMV.
  14. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When you change a tire how do you go about cleaning out the Stan's compound?
  15. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check the seal where the low pressure valve stem passes through the red liner. I had a leak here that confused me for a while. I made a washer from a piece of inner tube and that fixed it.
    AdvNener likes this.
  16. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I pick off any large chunks but really don’t spend much time worrying about it. Just put a new tire on. The Stans compound that is there is very soft and I think will help seal the new tire. I have been doing it that way for 30,000 miles on my dual sport and 600 hours on my dirtbikes without any issues.
    jdubb75 likes this.
  17. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm with Yinzer Moto. One time I removed ALL the residue. Once. Since then I just pick the chunks and do a light 'sanding' with a rough cotton rag to get most of the compound off, then reinstall.
    Yinzer Moto and jdubb75 like this.
  18. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a failure a few months ago and could clearly hear the leak near the low pressure valve stem (it was FAST as the pump could not go past 10 psi and the tire went 10 psi > 0 in 1 or 2 minutes) but not feel any air leaking around it. I haven't investigated since then but though of something like that (low pressure valve leaking inside the red liner)
    It was a gen1 tubliss.
  19. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I did look at it since i posted that and I think it's likely this was the issue. The flat nut on the inner side of the liner was not loose but was very easy to untighten.

Another tubliss question...I've only used tubliss on my wrx with warp9 wheels yet. "By chance" the rimlock holes on thoswheels were close to what tubliss instructions indicates (rim lock and high pressure valve holes should be 4 spokes appart).
    My CRF450L rims are pre-drilled for rim locks, but the two additionnal holes on the rear are evenly spread (so the 3 holes are 120° appart) and on the front the only additionnal hole is right on the opposite side of the valve hole. So this is pretty far from the recommandation. What is the purpose of having both holes so close?
    Takataka likes this.
  20. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    Having the valve stem close to the rim lock makes for easier tire changes as there only one place that requires extra attention.
    Just my .02 ...
    ChasM and AdvNener like this.