Tubliss Long Term Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by n16ht5, Oct 5, 2012.

1. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

A good option is a pump like this
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shock-Pump-...sure_Cycling_BikeLocks_SR&hash=item20cba4896e
    It's small and you can isolate the valve so you don't loose any pressure when disconnecting. Have to pump it more due to its low volume but for topping off works fine. I've got one if you want to try it out but they are pretty cheap.
  2. PhiSig1071

PhiSig1071 What's ******width?

Oddometer:
    I'll check it out. I bought one locally that said it went up to 125, but I couldn't get it to pump over 80 when I actually tried it. It's good to hear from people who have and use them already.

That's pretty cool. I like that I don't have to worry about losing pressure when I remove it. I will definitely find a pump that has that feature. The tubliss tubes are so small even a split second can drop the pressure down 20psi. However, I think I'll try to find one for sale in the US, as shipping from the UK would cost more then the pump itself! :lol3
  3. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Yes, of course, that was just first one that came up on the eBay search. Should be able to find one in the US for about $20.
  4. PhiSig1071

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the info, it's good to know what to look for. Apparently that's a feature on hand pumps used for air forks/shocks. Which should work perfectly. I'd like to see the one you've got, but I work midnights Wed-Sun, so I rarely ever make it to the RG or the weekend rides.
  5. kdennan

kdennan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I run rim weights, how many oz. up front? Rear?
    Thanks
    generikal likes this.
  6. BajaRat

BajaRat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have 4oz. front and rear on a KTM 530. (I think)

You can get a cheapie wheel balancer that works dandy for dirt duty from HF.
  7. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hkEHWsialVM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The tire... after 25mi, up to 65mph
    [​IMG]
  8. FamilyRider

FamilyRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run TUbliss on all of my bikes and love the system. However, on a recent 6-day adventure ride in Colorado I had a high pressure tube failure on the second day. I was really bummed out because I was the only one in the group with TUbliss and was confident that I would not be the one getting a flat. It turns out that I had a faulty tube. The stem did not properly mesh with the tube during installation.

Jeff at Nuetech validated that it was a faulty tube and replaced my entire setup and gave me spare tubes to carry in the future. His service was excellent.

Lesson learned - carry a spare high pressure tube on long journeys. (they are way smaller than a standard tube)
    snare likes this.
  9. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So... you took out the Tubliss and replaced it with a regular tube?
  10. PhiSig1071

Oddometer:
    I've been running it on my DRZ for over a year now and I love it.
  11. FamilyRider

Oddometer:
    Yes - I installed my buddies 17" tube for his KLR. I had to run higher pressure since I no longer had a rim lock.

I was missing that TUbliss the rest of the week - especially when I hit a nail on the pavement at 50 mph and got a second flat. Scared me to death. Luckily I was able to keep the bike up and I was within 100 yards of the truck at the very end of our trip.

I also learned that you really want to use tires with a stiff sidewall with the TUbliss system. I had a Kenda Trakmaster II on the rear. I liked the tread pattern, but it was really soft and flimsy when it went flat. I was really lucky it didn't come off the rim when I hit the nail. If I still had the TUbliss in place, that wouldn't have been an issue.
  12. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting. So no MX tires then? You'd want like a D908RR or a Mitas E09 Dakar or something similar?

With a heavier sidewall tire, you lose the weight benefit of the tubliss...
  13. PhiSig1071

Oddometer:
    I have a D739 rear and a hard terrain MX front on my DRZ. The D739 is a desert racing tire, and it's a very hard tire, both sidewall and knobs. I can run it at a lower pressure for great traction, but still get good tread life. I used to use the Trakmaster, but it wore out in something like 400 miles of mixed use. I have 500 miles of DS use on the 739, including a trip to Baja, and it still looks almost brand new.

Results may vary if you're in a state that's a stickler for DOT approved tires on the street.
  14. FamilyRider

Oddometer:
    If you are only doing day rides and never stray too far from the truck, so softer tie may be fine. You can either limp back to the truck or send a buddy back for repair gear.

But if you do longer adventure rides or dual sport, then a stiffer carcass would be good insurance. The videos in this thread with the holes cut in the tire show what is possible with a flat tire that has a stiff carcass.

I know a lot of people like the Pirelli MT43 trials tire. It works great in the dirt at 5-8 psi and handles pavement pretty well at >10 psi. Jeff Slavens is now recommending the Sedona MX907. That looks like a very interesting tire to me.

For my case I need DOT, so that limits my options. My next tire is a MotoZ Tractionator Enduro I/T. It is much stiffer than the Trackmaster II, so hopefully it will work out well.
  15. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    It also depends a lot on weight. MX tires have very stiff sidewalls relative to MX bike weights. For reference I once got a rear flat on the first lap of a MX race. I finished the race in 5th place (full gate of 40 at Budd's Creek). Still cleared all the jumps, etc. It was squirly on hard pack corners and reacted badly to bumps, but otherwise worked almost as well as normal. Rim wasn't even damaged very badly. :deal That was a 190lbs bike with a 160lbs rider. Double both and it's a whole different story!
  16. Petrolburner

Petrolburner Noise Maker

Oddometer:
    Freakin' awesome! :clap

I bought a used Tubliss system off craigslist 2 years ago, finally installed it on my new to me XR650R. Racing at Eddieville this weekend, can't wait to try it out with the brand new Dunlop 606 front and rear.
  17. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got my system ready to install. Just can't make up my mind about using slime or not.
  18. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I'd skip it. Slime is just so damn messy. Besides, you can still ride with a completely flat tire using the Tubliss system. I even did 40+ miles at highway speeds on a flat tire before with it. :clap
  19. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    I had one on the front of my KLR and the small red inside tire went flat and I like to have never got it off so I could put a regular tube in to get me home.They (cycle gear) gave me a new one and it has been hanging in my shop for 2 years.
  20. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok cool. That's what I was thinking.
    Was that the first gen?
    Inner liner black inside?