Tubliss Long Term Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by n16ht5, Oct 5, 2012.

1. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    :huh
  2. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    :dunno

:ear
  3. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just not sure how you figure the tire doesn't seal at the bead...
  4. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Soapy water in a squirt bottle.
  5. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    The way it seals is pressure on the surface boundary between the outer edge of the bladder and the inside of the tire on the "backside" behind the actual bead surface. (in the general area where rim locks contact the inside of the tire) And in the same manner as when using a conventional inner tube, the rim holds the tire from expanding beyond its boundaries and does not rely on sealing at the bead/rim boundary (like a designated tubeless street tire does). If it were to, then the spoke attachments that penetrate into the rim would require sealing against this pressure as well - note that designated tubeless street tires mount on rims that don't have spokes.

From Nuetech: "Since TUbliss seals to the inside of the tire, the condition of the rim is almost irrelevant. However the INSIDE SURFACE of the tires bead does need to be in VERY GOOD conditions, as this is what the TUbliss seals to."
    - See more at: http://nuetech.com/tubliss/tubliss-faq/#.dpuf

Hope that helps!
  6. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    It does actually.
    Thanks! :thumb
  7. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Cool! :D
  8. mbrick

mbrick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this the general consensus - Without slime you have to pump up the tires before each weekend ride?

Is it best to only swap in at the same time as new tires?

Also I see they have a gen2, which looks like the newer all red liner you have. The liner sure looks like a road bike tire in your photos!
  9. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog Supporter

Oddometer:

No, you don't have to run a sealant but it prob increases chance of sucess. I've put Tubliss in six wheels. 4 of 6 hold air very well, 2 have not. I'm going to try some Stans in them. Several riders I know who's opinion I respect use Stans.

I installed 2 with existing tires, only because tires were nearly new - worked fine for me. Given work involved I wouldn't bother otherwise.

Gen 2 has been out for several yrs now.

10. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the stans

way better than slime

Ride on

scott
  11. FamilyRider

FamilyRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nutech recommends installing their Tubliss inserts with new tires. I think the main problem with used tires is the dents caused by the rim locks. You may get lucky and have it work, but they don't recommend it. I tried it on an almost new tire and it worked okay.

I didn't use sealant for the first two years and never had a problem. They would hold air fairly well, but I always check them before heading out for a ride. On multi-day rides I would check them once a week.

For sealant I use Quad Boss ATV/motorcycle sealant. It is much thicker than Stans and I believe it stays liquid much longer. But use whichever brand you prefer - just make sure it is a tire sealant and not a tube sealant.
  12. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I install used tires a lot and the Stans seals them up tight. I have never ran the tires without a sealant but I know a few people who have and they all had slow leaks until they put Stans in. I rode on Saturday, I had not ridden for over a month before then, my front tire was a couple PSI low, the rear did not loose anything.

I am not familiar with the Quad Boss stuff, I'll have to look it up. The down side with Stans is its price. $20+ per quart. I use about 6 oz in the rear tire and 4 oz in the front. There is always liquid in the tire when I go to change the tires, sometimes I scoop it into the new tire (my inner KLR rider). :lol3
  13. FamilyRider

FamilyRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was originally planning on using Stans, but some of my mtn biking friends told me it dries out in about six months, so you have to replace it twice a year. I don't go through motorcycle tires that quickly, so I wanted something that would last longer - which is why I went with Quad Boss.

Their video is worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN49YOVBj6Y
  14. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I run Stans in my mtb tires and it works great. When I stayed in the desert for the summer, the Stans only lasted about 3 months. Now that I leave the desert for the worst of the heat, it lasts 6 months+ as far as the bead seal goes. However, puncture resistance is 6 months at best as it does dry out. No biggie as i just break the bead (not necessary with a schrader valve like on a moto) and add a couple more ounces.

Using Amazon Prime, I can get a quart for $25. At a bike store, it's $30+. So it's expensive but in a few years of use, I've only gotten one flat on my mtb that didn't seal - a sidewall slash. Since I ride in the mtb in the desert, I used to get one or two flats a month from cactus.

After reading through this whole thread, I'll think I'll switch my 400 to Tubliss and even if I have to add Stans sealant 3 times a year (6 oz rear and 4 oz front), that's just $25 a year for no puncture flats.
  15. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quad boss will work .......but........it is way heavy compared to stans

ride on

scott
  16. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    The quad boss looks like nice stuff. I have a lot of Stans on the shelf at the moment. Maybe when I run out, I'll give it a try. It is only slightly cheaper than Stans and Stans is available at my local bicycle shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Yup, Quad boss for me too.
    But know the "Dirt Bike" Quad Boss is for TUBES, not tubeless applications, like TUbliss.
    Quad Boss for QUADS is for tubeless tires:thumb
    just sayin'
    :lol3
  18. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's the highest psi you can run?

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.
  19. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    In the tire? Check your sidewall!

In the bladder? Should be running 100 - 110.
  20. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Once I have the bladder up to 100/110#, I take the tire up to 40/50# to get the bead area seated/out where it needs to be, then take the tire back down to riding pressure.
    I've been running the front@ 10# and the rear@ 12#
    jmo
    :lol3