tuckers to tdf

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by TUCKERS, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Bumpity so Richard at On Track Motorcars in Upland California can find it.
    They sell motorbikes! Go see them. Tell 'em I sent ya.
  3. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    These are pictures of Mitch and his dad, Andrew. They arrived in Claremont to pick up two KLR's and ride the bikes to New York.

Of course we had to take them up to Newcomb's Ranch!

[​IMG]

Snow on 'Old Baldy'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The men from 'down under'

[​IMG]

Mitch looking after Dad.......precious

[​IMG]

Newcombs Ranch Motorcycle gang!

[​IMG]
    Famous James, Fast David, Dad Andrew, Fabulous Colleen, Young Mitch, Very Fast Les

[​IMG]

Lunch at Newcombs

[​IMG]

Packing up to leave Claremont

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bye bye lads

[​IMG]

Oh, don't go

[​IMG]

Down the road

[​IMG]

Proud Dad on his rented KLR

[​IMG]

Ahhh, we are from Australia...look right look left look right again.....LOOK LEFT AGAIN!
  4. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Container is supposed to go on the ship 10th June. That 5 months wait is crazy! Plus a big journey ahead. It's not a direct sail from Ushuaia to Los Angeles...it's three different ships!

9 bikes in a 40 footer :deal
  5. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:

I was wondering if you had the bikes back, sooooon. :clap
  6. mopulga

mopulga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Tuckers,
    Hope all is well!

Question: I see you used a 525 chain and sprocket set. Apparently in SA, 525 is rare and 520 is the common type.

Any opinions on the matter?

Thanks!
    i
  7. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Well I guess my opinion is stick with the OEM. We did carry spare sprockets and a spare chain each though. I checked the chains daily, and I adjusted them as needed. I lubed them about twice a week. We didn't use any extra sprockets or chains in 13,000 miles.
    I cut the front sprocket covers to check it without removing anything and I cut the chain guards shorter to lube the chains easier.
  8. Eddywoodgo

Eddywoodgo two wheeled nomad

Oddometer:
    I spent the $ and got a new DID x ring chain and new sprokets. Have also installed a drip feed chain oiler I got from DSM8. I have been surprised that chain hardly has needed any adjustment in over a thousand miles.
    By the way, how you Tucker's doing. I really enjoyed hanging with ya's and the fun rides we did. I'll be in Mexico in the next few days. What I have seen of the US has been amazing. Hard place to leave....but in the words of Arnie......"I'll be back"
  9. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    We are doing great.
    You'll have a blast in Mexico. Will you go down Baja?...you should. Go through San Felipe and on to Coco's corner...it's really nice.
    If you stop in Guerro Negro that's the place the whales birth. It's about half way to La Paz.
    Keep in touch.
  10. Eddywoodgo

Eddywoodgo two wheeled nomad

Oddometer:
    Great to hear. All those places I intend to go through. Cool! I'll be in touch and update Facebook and rr here. Cheers
  11. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Bumpity so Tim at Browns Motor Works in Pomona can find it
  12. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    At last today 9.11.2014 we got our bikes back! Ten months exact since we departed. Dropped them in Ushuaia 1.11.2014

The shipping turned in to a nightmare. DO NOT use Osvaldo in Ushuai. He didn't file our ISF, didn't tie our bikes down and some of our equipment is missing. Didn't tell us to wash them or wash them. No communication at all NONE. I wasn't even on the manifest as to receive and only found the bikes by cuddling up with Hamburg Sud in Long Beach myself.

Because of the non ISF filing we got flagged and hosed. US Customs and Border Patrol threw the book at us. $13,000 extra...YES thirteen thousand dollars.
    There were nine of us so split nine ways. The actual shipping was approx $1350 per bike......but PLUS approx. $1150 per bike for CBP

After Xray. Exam, wash, much storage and movement we got a release. I went today and the warehouse showed us picks of the container when they broke seal and opened it. Eight bikes strewn across the deck only one standing. Bent and busted bags and racks and plastic and what not. Colleen's bike is the worse case. Bent forks, dented panniers. Unrepairable racks. Headlight fubared. Rear sub frame bent. Windshield gone. Some small gift items gone. CyclePump gone. Cooking equipment gone. Sleeping bag gone. We think the BMW R1200GS ADV slept on Colleen's DR650 all the way back.

Ended up being $2500 per bike and a COMPLETE NIGHTMARE. Had we known we could have sold our bikes for $2500 and been way ahead and had no grief.
    I got slap bang in the middle of this because I was the first one and everything was in my name. Happily eight people paid their share and only one reneged and I had to pay his extra $1331.55 and take possession of his bike as payment.

So if you ride to Ushuaia have an escape plan. DO NOT USE Osvaldo unless you can see the bikes securely tied down, take all your stuff off and actually see the ISF filing. Wash your bike. Container may still get flagged because it's from Argentina who knows?
    Personally I'd find another way.
  13. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Shoulda-woulda-coulda.......

Isn't that life? If we knew then what we know now......:2cry

It was a huge rip off from Customs and Board Patrol in the U.S.A....... EXORBITANT fees....

$3,150. in storage/movement of container

$2,500. to wash the motorcycles and container

$485./each bike customs fees

$1,900. x-ray

and on and on and on .........pages of fees..............

Our camping pillows were stolen (expensive ones)
    Our kitchen kit with trick stoves, etc. stolen
    Our down sleeping bags stolen
    gifts which I didn't mean to leave in the panniers, of course, stolen

My bike is all jacked up twisted, broken, bent......

Osvaldo told us all of our things would be safe and secure and to not worry about what we were leaving in our panniers.......

In those shoulda/woulda/couldas would be to have bought a duffle bag and not left anything in our panniers...........

Life goes on.......... we leave for a month of riding on Sunday...... riding our 1200GS's ............

Colleen
  14. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere
    Sounds like either the liberal government screwed you guys and/or the unions with the longshoremen. Either way they broke it off in your ass for sure.

$3,150. in storage/movement of container

$2,500. to wash the motorcycles and container

$485./each bike customs fees

$1,900. x-ray

Sorry it ended like this your Report was Great.................!
  15. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    James has been remembering more items that are missing and were stolen...... it's hundreds and hundreds of dollars in total......
    add to the above mentioned......

Two new front inner tubes
    Two new rear inner tubes
    Two new chains
    Two new rear sprockets
    Four new front sprockets.............

C
  16. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    :puke1 Very sicking to read how it all ended as if you guys got screwed. I'm sorry that it happened to you guys. I wonder if others who had bikes shipped in same container is missing some items too?
  17. Air Force Vet

Air Force Vet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about all the shipping problems. You think it could be a "natural balance" thing?? You guys had a great trip (I really enjoyed reading and riding along) and it seemed mostly positive so the bikes absorbed all the negatives to keep the trip and universe in balance? LOL! Just a thought and I'm not really a naturalist/karma kind of person but either way that just sucks! Thanks for the feedback though, I'm sure you saved countless ADV'ers some serious ass-pain!
  18. Cmnthead

Cmnthead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Teeswater Ontario Canada/ Playa Oria Panama
    Hey folks, my son and I were right behind you as far as Panama last year.
    I shipped our 2 bikes home from there in March along with a 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser.......long story short.....I got bent over by customs in Montreal.
    I washed everything before we shipped them because in Canada they are very conscious of any soils crossing and I knew that.....but they still charged me $4400 to wash the bikes and the Land Cruiser
    Then $1100 for the "random"inspection....then another $1100 to inspect it again after the wash was complete.
    Then $4800 for storage while they decided how to deal with 4 bottles of $12 rum....for 7, yes, 7 weeks!!
    Then could not unload container in Montreal, had to pay a highway tractor to bring the entire container to Teeswater, 8hrs, however they said we could return it to Toronto.
    Unloaded the container in Teeswater and sent truck to Toronto, 3hr later driver calls and says they will not accept container in Toronto and must return it to Montreal.
    Return the container to my yard and try to buy it in its entirety, 3 weeks later they reply with a out of this world price that is almost double what its worth...then they also let me in on another secret, if I pay the price for the container, I also owe them a "demerg" fee daily to that date of $65 a day that added up to almost $4500 more.
    I was pretty well burnt out,,,,I paid a French trucking company $500 to return the container to Montreal, and told them to kiss my ass on the "demerg" charges.
    Original price to ship. $3300USD
    Car wash rape...............$4400CDN
    "Inspections".................$2200CDN
    Storage fees..................$4800CDN
    Trucking........................$1200CDN
    French trucking...............$500CDN
    Pending "demerg"fees......$4500CDN

In the 9 border crossings we did on that trip, thru all the 3rd world countries, the most unorganized, un helpful, ignorant and expensive was our own when we tried to return to our own country...unbelievable! No one would take responsibility for there actions, just keep passing the buck to the customer.

I'm glad you guys got your bikes back, and you at least had some company to share the misery with..
    We will see you down the road sometime.
  19. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Wow!. Yes and folk get bent out of shape with the little fees down south. $42 to enter Guatemala and it's all over the WWW how crooked it is in Central America!

If this happened down there people would never ever go. Yes, coming home was the REAL shock.

Any way, living in the present and marching ahead....leaving for a month in the morning on our BMW R1220GS's to ride across USA.

The 'cleaning' was a joke any way, there was still dirt in many places.

We got billed $175 per day for container and storage. It took one month.

I spoke to the people at our warehouse and they told me that US Customs and Border Patrol run the Maritime shipping...actually run it. They dictate what happens, who and what goes and what to pay to whom. They could give a rats ass about what it costs.

There was a container full of broken floor tile at the warehouse and they are washing it!

You get flagged you get hosed.

I have heard it's all rather simple if you ship by air. Costs LESS too!
  20. TonsOfFun

TonsOfFun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to know.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.