1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

tuckers to tdf

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by TUCKERS, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Made it to Cedar City Utah today, 400 miles. Camping under the stars. On our way to Muscatine Iowa for a wedding rehearsal dinner on Friday and a friends wedding on Saturday. We packed our suits and dresses and nice shoes! 100F most of the way, a balmy 85F in Cedar City. Scored a six pack of Stella Artois and doing a little chilling :deal.

So another exciting journey....'tuckers to iowa'.........got a nice ring to it :rofl

Riding a pair of BMW R1200GS both silver/gray...both day glo helmets....if you see us give us the finger :clap
  2. Air Force Vet

Air Force Vet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Safe travels!
  3. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Or cheaper to just ride it back?? :deal Air Shipping sounds more feasible and cheaper in long run.

Safe trip cross country.. enjoy your therapy!
  4. Cmnthead

Cmnthead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Teeswater Ontario Canada/ Playa Oria Panama
    Our trip from Canada to Panama was under $10,000.00 for both of us with no planning ahead, no camping and we ate like kings most nights (snacked most days). That also included staying in $100 night plus hotels and eating steak all thru the states.
    I import military trucks and other equiptment almost byweekly into Canada, never in a million years could have forseen the overwhelming issues with Quebec customs.
    Hind sight.....shoulda left them there....I could have spent a couple months in South America and worked my way home over the course of several years on several different trips and still been money ahead from what they ransomed the bikes for. That is actually the plan now....drive to Miami, air freight to Colombia, hang there for a month, then return another time to head further south.
    Hopefully the info helps other riders.
    Sorry for the hijack TUCKER'S
  5. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Cmnthead,

That sounds like a good plan.. ride to FL & ship to Colombia. I have thought about riding up from Argentina to Colombia and ship bike to FL and ride back to home in NC. Recently, VivaColombia started shuttling plane from Panama City (Panama) to Medellin for as low as $65 USD ( www.vivacolombia.co ) so shipping from Panama City to Medellin has gotten cheaper than sailing it. Just matter of finding shipping company that will ship to Medellin.
  6. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:

Riding down to Ushuaia cost $11,000. (It's $1000 per bike to get around the Darien) Plus once you get there and have gone through the wind and road conditions you have second thoughts about riding back:eek1

I'd go air, but you still have to ride back to Buenas Aires which is something we didn't want to do!

For a South America ride I'd say fly to Quito Ecuador and buy a local bike, even a new one.
  7. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Life is good!
    Made it to BIG Springs Nebraska!

Onward towards Iowa............................

Look out for two happy people on BMW GS's................ 76 Interstate East :deal
  8. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Still haven't started to re-furbish the DR650's. Poor things are getting low priority :deal
  9. Gabeslaw

Gabeslaw Take the Challenge Ignore the Assholes! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have briefly viewed your RR and it was seamless until the end. I learned a lot. I initially planned to fly but after this I refuse to listen to shipping by boat. I will be shipping two Harleys to Santiago Chile, then trucked to Punta arena for pick up. Mr. Gaston from Miami will be shipping them by air cargo.

It was an expensive cherry for the top of a beautiful run. I will stay away from that gentleman in Ushaia. If you want I can stop by in May 2015 and give him a message or a finger on your behalf if ya want?
  10. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I'm not a vindictive person. I'll just leave Osvaldo alone, but I would NEVER recommend his service, just too many holes he should have filled. Number one of course the bikes ought to have been tied down properly. Number two...I don't know if it was at his end, but all the stuff stolen was a surprise..I am told it didn't happen at this end...but who knows...not me.
  11. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    This really sucks.

And it makes me more confident in the work Sandra does at Dakar Motos in Buenos Aires. Sure, I had to ride back to Ushuaia, but it only cost about $1700 to airfreight my R1100GS to Chicago. My bike flew the day I dropped it off at the airport, it was in Chicago the next day, and I promptly picked it up.
  12. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Yes, if you can do it ride back to BA and Air through Dakar Motors that is the easiest best way. Knowing what we know now there is NO WAY I would recommend Osvaldo and using a container, it is fraught with difficulties and hidden costs.
    Our next big overseas trip will have us buying bikes on that continent and selling them,,,NO SHIPPING.

STILL, Ushuaia was an awesome trip and no regrets. We learned a lot and happy to pass it on.
  13. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Bumpity so an interested party can find the thread :1drink
  14. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why didn't you ever post a map of your travels so we could find the places easier? I know it's a pain in the ass but so am I....:lol3
  15. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty much computer illiterate. I only found out last week there are messages on Facebook...I had 405.
    Get a map out and a marker and spend hours of leisurely fun finding the places.
  16. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:
    I'm in the midst of planning a Patagonia trip. I have no desire to go out of my way to see the end of earth - but if there was a profitable contract on Osvaldo, I might consider it. Scoundrels like that deserve to be confronted face-to-face or club-to-face.

I was looking at shipping to Valparaiso, but every story I read, the bike arrives late and there are additional port fees (up to $600, legal and otherwise) to get the bike out of hawk. And although I've heard rave reviews about Enzo and Marina, it doesn't appear that going through Hostal Kunterbunt actually makes a bit of difference.

I'm convinced flying is the best option.

OH - and thoroughly enjoyed riding along with your 72 days to the tip.
  17. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Thanks. :clap
  18. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3 For some reason I had the feeling this is what you were going to tell me.
  19. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    :evil
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.