Tucson Area Bulletin Board:

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by russbryant, Jan 22, 2009.

1. neo1piv014

neo1piv014 Garden Variety ADV

Oddometer:
    I don't know if they'll be open tomorrow, but there is a pretty neat looking section of road that'll take me from Ft. Huachuca almost all the way there via Forest Roads. Sounds like I might have to make the trip before they close up shop. Hopefully I can skip the broken rips portion of the journey.
    oldfuddy and Armyguy like this.
  2. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are supposed to be open until 6/3, but I don't know if the holiday will impact tomorrow, they are normally open every day, 8 am to 2 pm, I believe.
  3. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    I'll be working in Rio Rico tomorrow until around 4, but bringing the 650r with me to go ride and play around in the san Rafael valley area. Anyone around for an evening ride?
  4. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sent you a pm...
  5. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    A quick Arivaca update:

Several interested parties in Gadsdens, but nothing final. 6/3 planned closing date.

The bar in town, La Gitana, is set to start serving breakfast 7-10am Th-Sun starting Sat 6/2. Supposedly a nice outdoor patio in back.

The Longhorn is reopening "shortly"; they are training staff now. New owner also owns the Twist and Shout in GV. Cow Palace is closed, Firefly open for lunch.
    Friedom and oldfuddy like this.
  6. neo1piv014

Oddometer:
    Sadly, I won't get to make the trip out there before the coffee place closes, but it seems like there's enough other stuff there to make it a good halfway point on a ride.
  7. Friedom

Oddometer:
    Got my short ride in up to the red mountain radio tower.
    20190529_212325.jpg
    20190529_214622.jpg
    kickstandsup and Armyguy like this.
  8. Traffic

Traffic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Friedom likes this.
  9. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    The gift monster came by Fed Ex today...kinda cool and totally unexpected. Classy move by Ducati IMO.

IMG_20190530_130308522.jpg
    oldfuddy and Armyguy like this.
  10. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    I'll probably try La Gitana next Th or Fri...at least there's an alternative!
  11. Friedom

Oddometer:
    It wouldn't be fair with that extra 10cc.
  12. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    My CB500X is currently being relocated to California by riding the coast highway with my middle son. I will miss that bike, but, I couldn't ride it safely any longer.

[​IMG]
    swimmer likes this.
  13. Friedom

Oddometer:
  14. HoosierTrailmaster

HoosierTrailmaster Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer:
    Had a friend in Hong Kong that got one of the first Monsters (900cc) back in mid-90's. I was impressed with the materials and finish. The thing was a torque monster. I don't know how it handled as I only sat on the back.
  15. neo1piv014

Oddometer:
    I've always had a thing for naked streebikes, so the Ducati Monster has been a pretty regular feature on my wallpaper rotation. If I could talk my bank account into adding a second bike to the garage, they'd be on the short list.
  16. neo1piv014

Oddometer:
    So I found another dual sport loop that might be a fun day ride for people on larger bikes. Any members of the dirt biking crowd would probably find themselves bored and out of gas since it is around 100 miles, but it was a super relaxing afternoon on the KLR with some amazing views. If you've ever been through New Mexico's Los Alamos area, this looks a lot like the Valle Caldera. You'll crest a hill and be able to see for a million miles, then you round a corner and you're into a trail packed in on all sides with desert trees. The route I took started on Fort Huachuca, and went through to the west gate at the back of the base. When you hit the highway 83(82?) intersection that is Parker Canyon to the left and Canelo to the right, I went right and followed a series of FS roads around the Huachuca mountain range. It passes through Harford before going south, and then I hit Parker Canyon on my way back northeast. I was going to go through the Coronado National Monument area and catch 92 back to Sierra Vista, but I was having too much fun and missed the turn. Would definitely recommend for people who want a dirt road with great views that requires almost no technicality and can be done on virtually any dual sport.

Attached Files:

ducatim, Armyguy and Motorius like this.
  17. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    There are about a million things wrong with that bike. Good, well cared for low mileage Ducs are available, I'd keep looking. The 2v air cooled motors are fairly simple and easy to work on, that said, parts are not inexpensive. Fun, light, pretty and filled with character.
  18. Traffic

Traffic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gardner Canyon and the Santa Ritas were downright pleasant yesterday. Anyone else riding down there? 20190608_085828.jpg
    Armyguy likes this.
  19. Armyguy

Armyguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is a relaxing big-bike friendly ride. Careful when the monsoons hit though. It can get kind of crazy back there.
  20. ducatim

ducatim Adventurer

Oddometer:

I was there an hour before you.

Attached Files:

Traffic likes this.