Tucson Area Bulletin Board:

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by russbryant, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Traffic

Traffic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    https://ddcracing.net/collections/motorcycle-chain

XW on the 640 since I bought it and it still looks new. Put one on the 250 too after replacing a bent rear sprocket.
  2. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    TY. Is yours a staked or clipped master link? I've read that staked us the only safe answer on a larger displacement/torque bike like a 650, but also read plenty of "huh. Haven't had an issue with clips for 35,000 miles on mine!", and the clip isn't load bearing. :huh
  3. Traffic

Traffic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Clipped for simplicity sake. Its nice to be able to take the chain off without crazy tools. Haven't had any issues with it.
    Friedom and dedave like this.
  4. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    i was clipped also fried,,,, no issues
    Friedom likes this.
  5. PatrickT

PatrickT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

So I’m looking to move to Tucson from Denver and looking at houses but I want to be able to ride out of the driveway and hit trails quickly. I’m on a drz400e, wife and kids have some toys too. Any suggestions on which areas to live? Looking at Catalina Foothills around to Oro Valley area currently .......thanks in advance and look forward to meeting up with some folks when I get down there. Will probably be down there by December.

Thanks in advance!
  6. HoosierTrailmaster

HoosierTrailmaster Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer:
    I guess it depends on what you call "quickly" and what your skill level is as to "Trails". Both places you mentioned aren't terribly far from off-road places to ride but it won't be 5 minutes. Probably 15-20 minutes to each (depending on how Far East you live in the Foothills and how North you live in Oro Valley). Both areas are nice but don't expect to get anywhere quickly because the access to the freeway from both is 15-20 miles. I have lived here for 10 years. Tucson has a lot to offer and a lot of quarks too. One thing it doesn't have is the cost and congestion of Denver.
    kwthom likes this.
  7. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can always move to Vail. We don’t drive porches or BMWs or drink wine over here, but it’s “Vail-to-Trail” right from the driveway in many areas of Vail. Many areas you don’t even need an MC plate, RV plate is fine. But, we drive trucks, cuss, drink beer, and stay up late over here
  8. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dont even look in the city, it's past its prime and in the deterioration phase. Check in out lying areas, Vail, Oro,Catalina,Marana,Sahuarita they all are 5min driveway to dirt and schools are all newer along with housing and shoping.
  9. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I can understand your desire to be close to riding areas but if you and/or your wife have to commute to work that (and schooling needs if applicable) should probably be a bigger considerationfor where you buy a house. For a not huge city, commuting can be a pain in the ass if you live in the wrong area (see above comment about freeway proximity) in relation to where you work or it can be a breeze even given the same distance in each case. I have lived here for 30 years and have lived NE, central, North, and west parts of the city. Each area had +/- and the people in each area are also different.
    kwthom likes this.
  10. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    All should be considered, but I’d add one more thing. If you do work in the city and if you live on the east side, you have the big ball of fire in your rear window going to work and going home and clear vision out your windshield. Live on the west side and it’s in your face both ways and it can be challenging and annoying. I live on the east side
  11. PatrickT

PatrickT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! Schools are a factor, but the wife doesn’t work and I work from the house (and airport). I don’t mind driving an hour to the airport (would prefer closer). But I’m more interested in good schools and close to desert fun. We actually started looking at Vail as well. Thanks again, and I’ll try to be more active here. Just got another bike after being bikeless for several years so I can’t wait to have easy access.....
    kwthom likes this.
  12. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Given that I would be looking in the Oro Valley area or north Tucson in the Catalina Foothills school district. A lot more convenient amenities in this area compared to Vail area. Also, at least in North Tucson and Southern Oro Valley, less room for new construction compared to Vail so house values more likely to hold/increase. JMO.
  13. PatrickT

PatrickT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Both of those areas are on top of the list, thank you!
  14. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    Good luck to you on finding houses though. I work in the moving industry and it's a major seller's market right now. A lot of people coming in from CA and CO. Houses bring bought sight unseen within hours of being listed. Doesn't mean you don't have options, as some of those people turn around and sell them when they get here, but just a heads up.
  15. PatrickT

PatrickT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to know,thanks. Hope it doesn’t end up with too many people like Denver.....
  16. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Yep. Neighbor sold their house a few weeks ago. I saw it on the MLS website. Gone in two days. Never even put a sign out. Sold for higher than I thought reasonable. Not Denver price territory though. Hope the market holds for another year or so when I sell my house.
  17. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lol............It hit that mark back in 1980.
    kwthom and mntdawg like this.
  18. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    When I lived on the North side a couple of years ago everything I needed, except work, was no more than 10 minutes away. It was really nice. Stores, swimming, running, gym, Lowes, Ace, Honda dealer , etc... I was renting at that point after selling my house in Central Tucson. My wife and I work right off the highway though so when we decided to buy another house we opened up our search area to the west side, where we ended up, because getting to the highway is quick. Without the consideration of a commute I would much rather live around the North area.
    Traffic in town can be a cluster but it's not Denver bad.
  19. BLU HWY

BLU HWY Maverick Lemming

Oddometer:
    Chiming in here, just found that the place we’ve been renting/ caretaking for the last several winters is being used by the family this year.

We’ve been out Tanque Verde near Redington. North & east is where we know best but interested in anyplace that isn’t Portlandia.

If there’s anything available for a few/ several months in ‘20, or Casita for sale, would sure appreciate knowing. PM or Convo?

Thanks & Good Riding..!

John
  20. PatrickT

PatrickT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What do you guys think about Marana area? Looks like riding close by?