Tucson Area Bulletin Board:

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by russbryant, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    Nice to hear from you as always, 2s :)
    2 SPOT likes this.
  2. AzDust

AzDust Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The building has been gone for several years now.reduced to a pile of Adobe dirt, Burt lumber and tin.
  3. AzDust

AzDust Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damn dawg I have not seen that picture in a long time.
    The step is still there just not on the main trail any more.
  4. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Couple of items for sale, too big to ship so posting them here. 1 Moto, 1 not.

No Mar tire changer with hitch mount. Comes with the regular wheel locking blocks, and the GS posi-clamp blocks for the BMW (or other) wire wheels. Accessories also, the "yellow thing" to hold the bead, 3 clamps, balancing stand, stick on weights, lube, extra tip for the mount bar. Makes mounting very easy. Perfect shape, everything you need to DIY. You can remove the hitch mount and get a floor mount if you prefer. $400.

unnamed.jpg

Easy to store, the hitch bar slides right under a cabinet

unnamed-1.jpg

2 General AT2 tires, 255/60R-18 with approximately 14k on them and a 60k tread life warranty. Lots of tread left, take offs from our Rover above. $100 for both.

IMG_20200731_095736724.jpg

IMG_20200731_095746467.jpg

IMG_20200731_095901893.jpg

PM me with any interest. Thanks for looking.

Edit: No Mar is sold. Tires gone too.
  5. DonBenito

DonBenito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This morning I took my first ride up the Catalina Highway since it reopened. I noticed that they took the opportunity to replace all of the 35 MPH speed limit signs uphill of Hoodoo Vista or thereabouts with 25 MPH speed limit signs. My first thought was that this might be a temporary change to protect the many active road workers, but these are new metal signs in place of the old ones which leads me to suspect that the change will be permanent.

It's a real shame that we've gone from a comically low speed limit to a tragically low speed limit up there. Add in the seemingly ever-increasing traffic volume and speed enforcement up there, as well as the many motorists who regard the speed limit as if a violation were punishable by death (while at the same time blissfully ignoring the "slower traffic use pull-outs" signs), and it's hard to get excited about heading up there anymore.
    dedave and AzDust like this.
  6. AzDust

AzDust Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll probably wait awhile before I make the trip until the control road reopens.
  7. Friedom

Oddometer:
    Midnight rides are where it's at IMO.
  8. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds terrible, driving 25mph in the dark seems much more boring than 25 in the daytime.
  9. AzDust

AzDust Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't keep my eyes open that long.
    Lol
  10. basstodave

basstodave Been here awhile

Oddometer:

It is sometimes not worth riding up to Summerhaven. Some days every slow driver pulls over to let traffic go by and other days one Jckas after another won't. Lowering speed limits is a Tucson habit out of pure spite I guess. No, really, If you commute in Tucson you sense some serious sadistic propensity on the part of dept. of unfathomable transportation decisions. The city, and I use the word city very loosely, has their head firmly planted somewhere in the 1950's. I'm a little bit down on Tucson having grown up in Chicago. Say what you will about Chi it has an energy that is palpable and it gets you to think no matter what your IQ is. I know people from New York and Chi that will not even visit. Tucson puts them into a coma.
  11. moparren

moparren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the flip side, when you think about how many Tucson drivers struggle with basic things like turn lanes and traffic signals, plus all the dumbfucks that can't be bothered to walk an extra 20 feet to get to a crosswalk, the low speed limits start to make sense.
  12. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hail dirt and the lack of speed limits. I hate slab. I’m more comfortable and feel safer with a saguaro or cholla 2” off my bars at warp speed than 25 mph out on slab somewhere.
    Lonerrider, Friedom and AzDust like this.
  13. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Traffic would be great if all the folks from the NE truely refused to visit, unfortunately most of them love it here and many are injury lawyers whom love to sue our little city because someone got injured because the speed limits are to high.My wish is for the dept of transportation to be defunded and the potholes get so big and deep that a dirtbike is the only way to get from one side of town to the other.
    FJratfink and Snake Oiler like this.
  14. Friedom

Oddometer:
    For that matter I'd rather run into a cholla at 25 than an absent car pulling out in front of me.
    oldfuddy likes this.
  15. basstodave

Oddometer:
    I dunno', working the Emergency dept, had a young man come in with a jumping Cholla still attached to his back. The whole limb of the cactus. Paramedics just cut off the arm of the Cholla and brought it with him. Also watched residents sit for an hour pulling cactus needles out of a guy that I thought had a serious skin rash at first. But yeah better than hitting a ton of some SUV.
  16. basstodave

Oddometer:
    Just did a ride up Mt. Lemmon this morning @ 8 a.m. No traffic to speak of. Felt great up off the desert floor. Didn't see a single sheriff and I did not see his deputy, either. Lots of bicyclists and motorcycles. I wanted to offer my bike to a cyclist to draft behind but they were doing just fine downhill without me.
  17. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of of those guys/gals are insane. I’ve followed some on my dirt and street bike coming down the mountain in areas. So fast and such skinny wheels. No way for me. I’d wimp out
    basstodave likes this.
  18. Friedom

Oddometer:
    I've pulled large and small seconds of cholla/prickly pear out of myself and friends. Gnarly, but doesn't bleed much or need major repairs.
    Even better is not hitting them!
  19. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Fermatseye

Fermatseye n00b

Oddometer:
    Greetings Everyone.
    I just moved to Tucson from Indiana and was planning to ride up to Mt. Lemmon early tomorrow. I know there were fires here not long ago, is the gravel/dirt run on the other side of the mountain that leads to Oracle open?
    social_chipmunk likes this.