Tucson Area Bulletin Board:

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by russbryant, Jan 22, 2009.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Is the old mt Lemmon rd dirt backway up to Mt Lemmon open all the way thru Oracal to Tuscon?

Is there a place to confirm if so?

Thanks
  2. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:

Yes it's open ! According to folks that work at the Zip line down at the bottom of Mt. Lemon rd. I'll be riding it Sat . so will have better info . Don't know about site for info . Are you in Tucson ! Doing some DS riding ?

Max
    eakins likes this.
  3. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    Hey Max!
    I was on mt Lemmon last Sunday and the gate at the fire station was open.
    Are they running the zip lines?
  4. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Yes my girl was hiking near there and stopped by to visit . Says their open .

Max
    Friedom likes this.
  5. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    Website agrees.
    Been riding much?
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    We snuck thru yesterday.
    It was cold up top.
    In our way to Bisbee.
    Thanks for the info.
    redrock88 likes this.
  7. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Where are you headed ? We're riding to Los Arcos Thursday . On to Creel after that .

Max
    redrock88 likes this.
  8. AzDust

AzDust Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
  10. danisOTR

danisOTR Living Life on the Road Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are heading to the Tucson area mid January through the end of March. We have an AirBnB set up in Green Valley. We will need to cross the border in Nogales MX to retrieve our MC's that are being shipped up to us from Palenque. Best plan would be to be driven by someone so we can pick up both the bikes at the same time. Any advice about this would be appreciated.

After we get the bikes back we will be exploring the area. I've done some looking on Google Maps and from what I've read here there is a lot to see.

We are looking forward to seeing the area.

At the end of March we'll likely be heading west and will be traveling throughout the US through the summer ending back in New England in August. If possible we may try to make it to Alaska. Here's hoping that the borders open.
  11. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:

There should be several transport services that go to Nogalas . Check around .
    The border is open ! Has been all along . I've crossed several times since March .
    Just passed through Monday after a four day moto ride in Sonora .
    Plan to walk across the border down town and grab a taxi to where ever the shipping companys
    terminal is . We always cross at the Mariposa crossing West of town . There will be a toll .
    Shoot me a P.M. if you need anything .

Max
    redrock88 likes this.
  12. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    Thanks Max
  13. Da Bear

Da Bear Twisted toy maker

Oddometer:
  14. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    On an above post I had indicated that my wife and I are planning to stay in Green Valley Jan-the end of March. However, the Covid Numbers are through the roof as compared to where we would be come from.

We’ve been traveling for the last year. For the most part we’ve been by ourselves. Currently we are in Croatia and have not socialized but do go out to walk (with masks). Grocery shop, etc.

We would not be changing our behavior no matter where we go. I’d just prefer to be able to get outdoors walk, hike, ride our motorcycles. In Northern NY we’d be inside more than outside.

I don’t want to incite a debate. Can anyone help us with actual observations?

What is the current, on the ground situation? Are people generally compliant about mask wearing? What do you think has caused the area to have such a high rate of infection per capita.

Please no flaming.

Thanks for your insight.
  15. jbean114

jbean114 4 wheels moves the body, 2 wheels moves the soul

Oddometer:
    I can report that for the most part my experience has been that most everyone has been pretty respectful of the mask requirements when indoors in grocery stores, restaurants, and retail locations. I do see many people wearing masks and social distancing when out and about on trails and the Loop.

As for what’s driving the numbers, I would comment that much of the state’s numbers are coming from Maricopa which includes Phoenix. More dense population can have a correlation.

Since you will be here in Jan-Mar, it may even be quieter than usual because the Gem show has been cancelled and I don’t think we will see as many seasonal residents this year as compared to years prior.

Stay safe.
    -JB
  16. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here are current #s by county in AZ

https://www.kold.com/2020/07/04/arizona-reports-deaths-covid-pima-county/

Green Valley is in Pima county but it is a world away from Tucson where the bigger numbers are coming from. In general it seems like people in largely senior populations, like GV, are a bit more respectful and careful. That being said numbers are continueing to climb drastically most everywhere and for the next few months you should be prepared to shelter in place wherever you are.
    swimmer and Snake Oiler like this.
  17. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    If you don't care about eating in restaurants or being in other such settings, you can pretty much carry on as normal with the addition of wearing masks as appropriate. Yes, as mentioned above mask compliance is pretty high except in the places you might imagine. Everywhere I go, which isn't many places, mask usage is 100%. Kiking, etc... I don't see much mask use while hiking but I also don't think they are needed in that setting . Available ICU bed capacity for the state is currently at 10% and expected to go to zero or close to it in the next week or so, so avoiding situations that might put you in the hospital is not a bad idea. Hopefully by January the current spike will subside, but who can really say what will happen.

As to your last question, I personally think it was mostly caused by many kids returning to in-person learning in varying degrees (and bringing it home for their family to spread) as that was the only major policy shift to happen prior to cases increasing after being somewhat manageable for a while. Also some people relaxing their precautions/increased home gatherings.

upload_2020-12-3_17-57-5.png
  18. SFCootz

SFCootz Necessary evil Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If folks wanna talk
    Church
    State
    Money

There's an entire section for that.
    dedave likes this.
  19. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think we have what we were looking for.
  20. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:

:dunno:confused