Tucson Area Bulletin Board:

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by russbryant, Jan 22, 2009.

1. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    So are any of you wankers riding this Sunday?

S.C.
  2. Dave JP

Dave JP BRP Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm out for this Sunday (3/1/09).

"Wanker" Dave
  3. Dave JP

Dave JP BRP Rider

Oddometer:
    Thomas:

Thanks for scouting the area out, so soon.

I'm pencilling in Sunday, March 8th at 10AM.

Is the Citgo you are referring to the Circle K just before (west of) 49er Country Club/Soldier Trail, on Tanque Verde?

Dave
  4. midengineracer

midengineracer Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer:
    Oops. Yes, it is. Citgo, Circle K, it's all good :rofl

I guarantee the roads are the right name though!
  5. midengineracer

Oddometer:
    The ride I took yesterday is what I would call dirt touring, not really dualsport but there is dirt.
    [​IMG]

For people that want to ride ahead, here are the pictures for the only turn you might miss. Coming from dirt to asphalt:
    [​IMG]

Turn here:
    [​IMG]

Go in here:
    [​IMG]
  6. Low Down

Low Down ADV Misfit Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thomas... I am DYING to see what your definition of 'Dual Sport' is.

Have you considered a place to get fuel mid way through the trip?? I know of at least two guys I ride with that would have to coast down Catalina Hwy with the motor OFF if they didn't get gas in San Man or Oracle.

Just sayin'

7. midengineracer

Oddometer:
    Did they D/S motocross bikes? Aggressive riders? It makes me feel like all my bikes have the extended range option, I get really worried if I think I have less than 50 miles of fuel left!
    The only place that would be available would be the gas station in San Manuel. I would be more than willing to lead people that needed gas to that station while people take a break at the intersection in the picture. I think the ride from Circle K to that intersection was a touch over 40 miles, making the next leg a touch under 30 miles. If there is a gas station in Summerhaven. If not, it's all downhill :lol3
    I had figured on a break being needed but was going to go a few more miles past Reddington Rd where I saw some old equipment and trees for shade. I don't know how long most of you guys like to ride before a break, my seats are a lot more comfortable than say, a Husky. It might also be a good answer as to why I find myself a bit dehydrated at the end of the day. And hungry.

D/S would be more like that power line ride we did. Places to bottom out, things to jump and scary patches of sand that I want to avoid. Needs a bit more elevation change to fully qualify. Not quite motocross...
    Oh, and some technical stuff :rofl
  8. Low Down

Low Down ADV Misfit Supporter

Oddometer:
    One has a 525EXC, and the other has a WR450F... both bikes are gas whores! Both riders have done this 'dirt touring' loop, and we go to the Chevron in San Man for fuel. The other option (if people were to take the gas line road to 3C ranch, for example) is to backtrack into Oracle once you reach the control road. I'm more partial to not backtracking, but that's just how I roll...

There's a few places to get both wheels off the ground on this ride. I'm sure James Stewart would be disappointed though... Maybe you should hold off and invite him when you do a more technical ride.

:lol3
  9. ravenranger

ravenranger rave

Oddometer:
    Yep, the Reddington/Lemmon loop is nice.

I ran it in the Lemmon/Reddington direction but took the Campo Bonito Road/wash from West to East b/c, from that direction, the Rosendo Road from the Lemmon Control Road side looked like someone's yard and we missed the turn. Sounds like you found a way through. That's good, 'cause I'd like to see the Rosendo Road route. It HAS to be better than the sand of Campo Bonito (not) Road.

If I'm not working next weekend (and I probably won't know for sure 'til Thursday or Friday), I'm game. I'd be willing to carry a fuel can on the XRL (I have the huge Acerbis tank as well) for folks with a more limited range if that saves on back-tracking.

Here are few images of the backside of Lemmon and Reddington Road from a few months ago:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. HutchCab

HutchCab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I am in, it will be one of my first and definitely the first longer ride on my new to me 525exc. I have the stock tank, so will likely need fuel, though I'll have to see when we get to San Manuel.

Oh yeah this is for Sunday the 8th right?
  11. midengineracer

Oddometer:
    It sure is. I will talk about it a bit more Thursday at Nimbus for people that show up but don't browse all of these posts.

I tore your old bike apart yesterday to get at the carbs. I had this singular purpose in my mind and by the time I had the access I wanted, I had the airbox out (disassembled), the rear shock off and the tank and seat sitting on the floor. When I asked my wife what she thought of the new bike being disassembled like that she only said 'isn't that the one your using to lead a ride next weekend?'
    D'OH!! :huh
  12. HutchCab

HutchCab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's a bit farther than I ever got into it! Seat and tank sure, but that's only three bolts! Hope it's treating you well. I almost looped the 525 the other day and fondly remembered how easy the 'ole bike was to control. Of course, the new git up and go is pretty nice :evil Not to mention the e-start! Insurance tomorrow, an oil change and I am good to go.
  13. ravenranger

ravenranger rave

Oddometer:
    Just double checking on the location.

Sunday
    March 8
    Circle K (Soldier Trail & Tanque Verde - across from the Fortyniner's Golf Club)
    10 AM

Yes?
  14. Dave JP

Dave JP BRP Rider

Oddometer:
    RR:

That's what I'm gathering.

The Circle K is on the north side of the street (Tanque Verde Rd), and ~1/4 mile west of the entrance to 49er Country Club.

Me thinks we should have a 10AM "start time" and wait until ~10:30AM to take off. No need to ask why. :D

Dave
  15. ravenranger

ravenranger rave

Oddometer:
    Shhhhhhh

Don't give away the super-secret-this-is-when-we-really-start start time. Stick with stands up at 10 or we won't get out of the Circle K 'til noon! :lol3

So, for now I have to work up in Gilbert all day on Saturday but I have Sunday off so my current plan is to be there. Looking forward to it.
  16. KIC

KIC Proud Army Dad

Oddometer:
    Tucson, we keep our ice in the freezer, Arizona
    There might be two of us interested. I just sent an email to somebody coming into town on Saturday. Her bike's in my garage ready to go. I'll let you know Thursday at Nimbus.
  17. midengineracer

Oddometer:
    That would push lunch back to 1:30 and that feels a bit late...
    I figured people should start meeting up there at 9:30 (that's when I was planning on being there). That means that I would have time to share my cell number with participants and make sure everyone is clear on the route and find out if anyone that shows up has special needs (gas in San Manuel, hourly breaks for water, sugar, insulin, crazy meds, etc.) that I need to be aware of.

I am going to ask at Nimbus again, but is there anyone that wants me to lead with my GS instead of my XL250, so they will feel comfortable with their own bike's ability? I am debating taking it for phone connectivity and music but know it is a b!tc# in sandy turns with the battlewings.
  18. ravenranger

ravenranger rave

Oddometer:
    Well, we can always do the wave.....

The really early folks can leave really early.

Folks that are there and ready at 10, can leave at 10.

Stragglers who show up after 10 can leave when they feel like it!

It's not like there are lots of ways to get lost on this one.
    Take Reddington until it turns to asphalt again.
    Shortly thereafter turn left.
    Keep riding 'til you get to the Lemmon Control Road and turn left.
    Keep riding 'til you get to asphalt.
    If you want food, turn right.
    If you're tired and ready to go home, turn left.
    :clap

Where'd I put that easy button?
    [​IMG]

Oh, yeah, there it is!:lol3

BTW, for those that like to see a map:
    [​IMG]
  19. midengineracer

Oddometer:
    Ravenranger,
    Where did you get that map? It shows roads that do not show up on google maps. I might be able to find that jeep road I have been looking for from those maps.
    Maybe I should look at my mapsource software...
  20. ravenranger

ravenranger rave

Oddometer:
    Check out GPS File Depot for free topo maps.

www.gpsfiledepot.com

I loaded the AZ one on an SD card and use it with my Zumo 550.