Tucson Area Rides Thread

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Becktastic, Aug 5, 2010.

1. KENMOTO

KENMOTO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Should be good for Thursday. See you guy's at McDonald's.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  2. EnglishZed

EnglishZed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello chaps. I am in Tucson for a few days, I would like to tag along. I am on an Adventure with Scorpion tyres. I have no worries off road so the tyres shouldn't be too annoying, it looks dry out here!
  3. KENMOTO

KENMOTO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dry as a popcorn fart!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  4. EnglishZed

EnglishZed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hahahahaha! Not heard that one! Back home we say dry as a bone! Hahahahaha.
  5. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    You're welcome to join us on Thursday's Ride, but Box Canyon is no Death Road :lol3 .

You'll find this ride is deliberately tame but I can point you in the right direction for the rest of your stay here.

Bob
    DR650
  6. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    DS RIDE(S) - Sat and/or Sunday Dec 5/6

I'll be riding both days and have no firm plans yet. I've been visiting Tucson in the winter since '99/'00 so I know almost every trail in the area. I used to ride them all but I've slowed the pace and go more for scenic than extreme - mainly double-track, jeep roads, ATV trails, and as little pavement as possible, but no extreme stuff.

If anyone wants to ride, make a suggestion of general area and we'll arrange time and place to meet.

I ride from Desert Trails RV Park just west of Tucson and don't mind an hour or so on pavement to meet up.

Bob
    DR650
  7. EnglishZed

EnglishZed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah the Death Road was over rated! Beautiful views and the storm was incredible but the road was in no way the worst I have been along. Tame is good. I will get to enjoy the company and the views, looking forward to it.
  8. russbryant

russbryant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Bob, how was today's ride? I can't make it out this weekend but should be good for a weekday ride any day next week except for Tuesday. It's been way too long since I've been out on the bike so something to ease me back into the dirt.

Let me know.

Russ
  9. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    Hi Russ, yesterday's ride was really good. We checked out the west access to Gunsight Pass and found 2 new locked gates on the main trails in. Spent most of the rest of the day riding the trails in Fish and Gardner Canyons, with a very pleasant lunch at The Cafe in Sonoita. We had an extra guy at breakfast and at lunch just to meetup to arrange future rides. All in all we had 2 DR650, 2 KLR650, and 2 KTM Adventure (an 1190 and a 950). Left the RV Park at 7:30am and returned at 7:30pm - it was a good day :1drink

Would Tuesday or Wednesday work for you next week?

Bob
    AZXRrider likes this.
  10. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    We'll be meeting on Saturday at 9am at the Cow Palace at I-19/Arivaca Junction Road. The ride will be mainly double track dirt with some ATV trail and is suitable for stock dual sport bikes - there's a DR650 and a KTM950 going so far.

Everyone is welcome, the pace will be easy/moderate with no extreme stuff - similar to Thursday's ride.

Lunch at La Cantina in Arivaca. Home before dark.

Bob
  11. Dave JP

Dave JP BRP Rider

Oddometer:
    Checking in.
  12. daBum

daBum Dave the Bum

Oddometer:
    Bob, I enjoyed the ride today!
    Thanks - Dave, the bum.
  13. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    Dave, it was a great ride! The change of route to Bullsprings Rd, Three R Canyon, Ruby Rd, and Diablo Mountain turned out just perfect. I just got home - 8am to 10pm - after an extended "ride review" with EnglishZed at Green Valley :1drink

Hope we get to ride again.

Bob
  14. russbryant

russbryant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tuesday is no good but Wednesday or Thursday should be OK. Pick a day and let us know.

Russ
  15. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    DS RIDE - Tuesday Dec 8, 2015

I plan to ride on Tuesday and will focus on the area west of the Sierrita Mountains between Ajo Highway and Arivaca. The ride will be OK for stock Dual Sport bikes and will be mainly double track dirt roads with a few rocky sections.
    * Meet at McDonalds at Ajo Hwy (86) and Kinney Rd at 9am.
    * Lunch in Arivaca at the Cantina.
    * Return home before dark, or whenever you wish.

Bob
    DR650
  16. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    DS RIDE - Thursday Dec 10, 2015

I plan to ride on Thursday and will focus on Mt Lemmon. The route will be along the unpaved Redington Rd to San Manuel, and then head over to the Control Road on the backside of Mt Lemmon and ride up to Summerhaven. Cruise back down the paved Catalina Highway to Tucson after a late lunch. The ride will be OK for stock Dual Sport bikes and will be EASY.
    * Meet at McDonalds at Tanque Verde and Catalina Highway at 9am.
    * Lunch at the Cookie Cabin in Summerhaven.
    * Return home before dark, or whenever you wish.

UPDATE: The route may be changed to eliminate Redington Rd and go up the Catalina Hwy and down the dirt road to the cutoff for San Manuel, and then go back up the dirt road and down the pavement. Depends on preference of those attending the ride.

Bob
    DR650
  17. Flashman1

Flashman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    D** I**

Bob - good to see you are still going!

I will be out of town then - but I wish I could go.
  18. alaskasail

alaskasail Arivaca Outback

Oddometer:
    Bummer Bob. I've got to go to Tucson to pick Nanci. After I saw you, I got good some good riding in and am ready for some more. Took the up-and-over from CA Gulch to Warsaw Canyon via the Old Glory and, I believe, Grubstake mines. After riding the Beemer for awhile, the KLR feels like a mountain bike!
  19. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    DS RIDE(S) - Sat and/or Sunday Dec 12/13

I'll be riding both days and have no firm plans yet. I've been visiting Tucson in the winter since '99/'00 so I know almost every trail in the area. I used to ride them all but I've slowed the pace and go more for scenic than extreme - mainly double-track, jeep roads, ATV trails, and as little pavement as possible, but no extreme stuff.

If anyone wants to ride, make a suggestion of general area and we'll arrange time and place to meet.

I ride from Desert Trails RV Park just west of Tucson and don't mind an hour or so on pavement to meet up.

Bob
    DR650
  20. alaskasail

alaskasail Arivaca Outback

Oddometer:
    I may blow off the Tucson trip. Let me know if you are in the area.