Tucson Area Rides Thread

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Becktastic, Aug 5, 2010.

1. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    A loop from Tucson to San Manuel to Reddington Rd back to Tucson is between 2-3 hours. With that bike and those tires I would not stray much from the main dirt road, but that's just me.

There are some good dirt roads off of and including willow springs road (off hwy 77 towards Oracle) that would be well suited for your bike. I personally prefer this area over the Reddington Rd area. I might be taking a day off next week and may cruise through this area.
    ridin gaijin likes this.
  2. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    I can agree with Swimmer on this. You can do the loop that goes up the service road to Mt Lemmon and come down the paved Catalina highway for a bit longer of a loop, but some of the sections on the control road get a little rough.
    ridin gaijin likes this.
  3. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I thought the control road was closed so I didn't suggest that but I probably should not have assumed that. Maybe with the lack of snow in recent years they push that back until needed rather than on a fixed date like it used to be.
  4. ridin gaijin

ridin gaijin riding > posting Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys.

Swimmer, the Willow Springs Rd area you mention, is there a map showing it? I'm working off this Santa Catalina Ranger District one.

Friedom, is the service road the North Mt. Lemmon / Old Mt. Lemmon one, looks like #4450? It looks like it leaves Redington Rd somewhere near Peck Canyon?
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Those aren't forest roads, just well graded dirt roads with near zero traffic. Just look on Google maps between Catalina junction and Oracle. You could take willow springs to freeman to barkerville to Florence Kelvin hey, get onto 177-77 then cut through dudleyville and get back on freeman to willow springs. This is all easy traveling dirt roads. If you want something challenging this isn't it.
  6. Friedom

Oddometer:
    I thought so too, but talked to some people on FB that did it a few days ago.
  7. Uncle Chuck

Uncle Chuck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody want to do the AZBCDR this spring?
  8. Friedom

Oddometer:
    Well this looks familiar. When does your new crank arrive?
  9. Harold Waikiki

Harold Waikiki oldfatdumbbrokeoutofshape

Oddometer:
    I’m interested.
  10. Uncle Chuck

Uncle Chuck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lol, it comes in sometime this week. But I would probably do it on the 950 ADV. It handles the load of a week's worth of camping gear a lot better than the ol fo' hundy lol.
  11. Uncle Chuck

Uncle Chuck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  12. Harold Waikiki

Harold Waikiki oldfatdumbbrokeoutofshape

Oddometer:
    Thought I’d post publicly in case anyone else interested. May not work to go together. Don’t wanna camp.
    I’m retired and pretty open to timing. Wanna go before it gets too hot.
    HW