TUKTOYAKTUK 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Lizzard323, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    If you want a little help. Some “been there done that” guides.

I was the second bike to TUK on the new road. June 2nd 2018. Second by 30 sec. lol.

This IS the new challenge. Deadhorse is dead. Been there done that twice from Florida.

I am back home in Florida. My life was changed by going to TUK.

Now, the town of Tuktoyaktuk. You can get to the Arctic Ocean.

TUK is the destination. Camping on the Arctic Ocean. Getting the “decal” that you made it.

PM me w questions.

Attached Files:

2. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
  3. Pay Dirt

Pay Dirt panning the web

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! What amount of time would you recommend for the run from Dawson City to Tuk and back? conditions of course understood but assuming average to good road surface.
    Thanks,
    PD
  4. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    You already answered my first question: Can you get to the Arctic Ocean. Awesome!!
  5. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    Three days.
  6. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    How much time are people spending in Tuk?

I have two friends who have made the trip and both of them said they only spent a couple hours in Tuk. The YouTube channel I watch, the host only spend a couple hours in Tuk.

I'm making some preliminary plans to visit Tuk in a couple years, and my thought was to spend a couple of days. Is that realistic? Why are so many people only stopping in Tuk for a few hours?

Jamie
  7. maxattack

maxattack Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How much further and longer is it to get to Tuk from Inuvik?
  8. Pay Dirt

Pay Dirt panning the web

Oddometer:
    140 kilometers....longer...well now that all depends on the weather!
    PD
    Hi-De-Ho and maxattack like this.
  9. SuchesTom

SuchesTom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We camped in Inuvik and day tripped to Tuk. Tuk is not commercialized, they aren't equipped with hotel/motels, restaurants, or campgrounds. The town is small and doesn't take long to see, the store is expensive. The people were friendly and the arctic ocean was beautiful. There were a couple of entrepreneurs selling burgers at the ocean, the mayors office gave directions to one place that had a fat fryer to feed guests with, gave a signed by the mayor certificate and had Tee shirts. Until / unless the town develops more, I'd stay in Inuvik and day trip to Tuk. Hope you make it, it's a wonderful adventure. I rode two up with my wife, pulling a trailer....The picture is of the couple that road with us, have to get our picture from them.

Attached Files:

bobw, eemsreno, Hi-De-Ho and 4 others like this.
  10. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I want to ride up there but it would be great if it was possible to camp for a night (probably won't be any 'dark' when it's possible to ride there). What's the deal with polar bears that time of year? I checked google and there was a polar bear in town around the end of September but the article gave me the impression that it was really unusual. Just wondering what any riders saw or heard about bears this year.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/tuk-polar-bear-september-2016-1.3787466
    eemsreno likes this.
  11. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it’d be cool to camp along the beach by the Arctic Ocean, but if there’s much of a chance that a polar bear might come along... I’m looking at about this same time next year.
  12. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    That CBC report was from almost 2 years ago and further research says there were 2 that year and before these 2 bears the people of Tuk had not seen a Polar bear for over 10 years. I lived and worked in the high Arctic (Resolute Bay )for 3 years and was never lucky enough to see one.
  13. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. To me, that's an acceptable level of risk and if the locals weren't concerned about a polar bear at the time I was there, I'd give camping a shot. I camp in grizzly habitat all the time and just modify my camping practices to minimize the attractiveness of my camp to grizzlies.
  14. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since this is the trip planning board I think I'll plan a trip. :thumbup

Tuk. Summer 2019.

Taking 3 weeks from Regina SK. Flexible on which 3, but mid-July is the current target. I'll be a young 60 at that time.
    I usually ride solo but looking for a riding buddy for safety on the nasty bits. I'm on an 02 R1150GSA.
    Camping highly preferred. Camp cooking highly preferred. Willing to wait out weather to reach the goal safely.
    Want to spend a night in Tuk, meet the locals and get a feel for the place as opposed to dipping my toes and heading back to Inuvik.

Anyone planning to go up want to be my riding buddy? PM me to discuss.

Craft beer snobs highly preferred. :lol3 :drink:beer

Steve
    Peter640, Booghotfoot and Cajunhawg like this.
  15. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some time in the summer.

I usually ride solo but wouldn't mind a buddy for the Dempster to help me pick up the pig when gravity takes over. Safety in numbers.

Watcha got planned?
  16. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on riding up before, during, or after D2D on the mighty DR....have time to wait for a window of good weather...not gonna ride up in the mud.
    SunshineTom, 'Bob' and djroszina like this.
  17. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leaving Calgary around June 1, stopping to fish all of the streams as I have done before! 250 Super Sherpa is the weapon this time. No need for help picking it up:D
    MAXVERT, cyclopathic and Tewster2 like this.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you find yourself camping at Rocky River don't stop for first good camping spot and do full loop. There's a bunkhouse 3/4 way through more company and no need to wait for tent to dry out. And creek is just next to it IIRC.
    bobw, Phoenix101, Hi-De-Ho and 2 others like this.
  19. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    We will be up that way Aug/Sep if fate agrees
  20. 'Bob'

'Bob' Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to leave from Vernon BC on my R12GS sometime in June, weather depending. I'll help you pick up your pig if you'll help me pick up mine:beer