TUKTOYAKTUK 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Lizzard323, Jun 27, 2018.

1. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Super cool and well done!
    Today, June 12, is my last day of work before retirement.
    July 1 is the start of my ride from Seattle to Tuk.
    mb289, TreasureState, L.V. and 7 others like this.
  2. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are doing exactly what I had planned to do! My last day is 8/2. I was going to make a late run north. Alas, not to be as vertigo has changed my schedule and postponed everything until next summer. (Hopefully). Congrats on the retirement. I’ve taken one two week vacation in the last 10 years. The rest have all been a week here and a week there. I’m ready for six Saturdays and a Sunday!!
  3. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gotta second this. Seems the NWT gov “fixed” the mud meas of last year by applying about 6” of pea gravel.
  4. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I should hit the Dempster mid-afternoon on Saturday. I don't think I have had this much nervousness about a ride! New parts on the bike, first time with bags on that bike, and first long trip on a small bike all have me triple checking everything! I rode from Texas to Alaska and never really thought twice about it, but this trip is much much different! hoping for a dry road!
    rubline, Steve G., Alaskajeff and 3 others like this.
  5. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    3 1/4 hours till launch!
    TreasureState, L.V., AwDang and 2 others like this.
  6. kmev

kmev Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a lot of sporadic rain and storms during my ride, but nothing that made the road impassable. The weather through the mountain pass near the NWT border was bad on the way up, and worse on the way back, but nothing that was ride-ending. The road from Inuvik to Tuk took far longer than I thought it would, and my local info that there was a campground in Tuk was wrong. I arrived in Tuk about midnight. Spent about six hours there to get some sleep, and then awoke to a rain that was apparently falling for more than an hour. I hit the road back south, but the gravel was so thick that the rain did not affect it. I spoke to a few folks that turned at Inuvik due to the rain.
  7. kmev

kmev Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And, I learned that it is pronounced Tuk-toy-ak-tuk, with the accent on "toy". I was pronouncing it wrong.
    TreasureState and Steve G. like this.
  8. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

How were you pronouncing it?
  9. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Launch from Seattle is July 1.
    Counting down. Some Launch songs by David Bowie:
    Space Oddity.
    Starman.
    rubline likes this.
  10. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Launched. Doing my first ride report. Link in the signature line.
    AwDang likes this.
  11. kmev

kmev Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Different syllables, with the accent on "yak".
    Steve G. likes this.
  12. VETJET

VETJET Saved My Ass in 2018, Pun Fully Intended! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I made it to Tuk yesterday 15 June, an epic trip.

I highly recommend stopping art Grandmas to eat and having a cultural exchange. Very nice people with a great location on the ocean beach, nicer than the point. They will even give you a certificate if you go into the ocean and mark off your level, feet in, waste in, dunked, etc... They serve some local items also if you want to try local food.

Also there is a guy named Lawrence in Inuvik across from the church who sells stickers and T-shirt’s and also rents KLRs and does excursions, a really great guy.

Also Allestines fish tacos in Inuvik are awesome and the experience there is really cool. There kitchen is in the school bus and they have a little cabin you eat in with a camp fire outside, great people here also.

I wish these people great things as they treated me so kindly and each one of them added to my awesome ride to Tuk experience.

Road up from Dawson to Eagle was absolutely perfect on Wednesday, road between Eagle and Inuvik on Friday was more challenging due to weather change over night. There was a couple inches of snow in the mountains at the border. There were two areas Eagle River and Rock River that we’re the most challenging as these areas do not have much gravel and become very muddy.

A couple of riders went down in this area. One had mud clogging in his front fender, the other just went down. According to the one he didn’t have experience in mud , the other had street type tires and I think going too slow. I had Wilds on my GS, kept my eyes on the horizon, went at the proper pace and throttled through with no issues.

Inuvik to Tuk was great and I don’t believe this area will be much affected by the rain as it is well gravelled.

When I first read reports and listened to other riders I was expecting the gravel to Tuk to be over four inches deep or more. I didn’t find this, yes the gravel is thick in sections and you need to keep your eyes up, relax, and allow the bike to move underneath you. But I didn’t find the four and six inches of gravel on my journey. I recommend staying lower in your gear selection to keep your rpms up to help stabilize the bike. The gravel is a couple inches thick in some spots and it keeps you on your toes. The depth of gravel also varies so keep that in mind because it’s easy to allow your speed to creep up on less gravelled areas.

Keep in mind that this road is constantly changing up here with weather and with road maintenance. Also keep in mind that all of the the reports come from people at various skill levels from novice to expert so what is difficult for one is easier for another.

One thing is for sure, regardless of the condition and your level, riding up here is amazing... the varying conditions add to experience and this will be a trip I will never forget!!!

I’ll post some photos later, for some reason they will not load at the moment
  13. kmev

kmev Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They sell muktuk - Beluga whale - to tourists?!? That should not be supported. For native subsistence consumption, yes. But not for tourists.
    Themastermike likes this.
  14. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    So, when you go, don't have any. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but this is Canada, so ...

Just bear in mind that the far north of Canada is to all intents and purposes a third world country. These folk had no year round access by road to the rest of the world until recently. Why rain on their parade?

There's likely some issues in Madison, WI you could focus you efforts on? Start with the murder rate - 11 in 2017.

Murder rate in the entire NWT? 3.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, just applying some perspective.
  15. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two weeks from now I will go to bed, ready to ride to Tuk if possible departing July 1.
    In an effort to make my body ready for dipping my toes in the salt water at Tuk, today I did a little something to make myself more hardy for the cold.
    My wife and I spent Saturday night at our beach place on the Washington Coast and today I went nude body surfing. My wife held the towel on the beach.
    Brrrrr, bracing to say the least.

I am a vegetarian and I also eat fish. When I travel, if someone has the kindness to offer me what they eat, I eat what they eat out of respect for the offer.
    When I last visited my relatives in Sweden, the first thing they offered me was smoked moose heart, moose meat balls, and of course pickled herring.
    I ate what they ate.

I will try to bring my own food to Tuk, but if offed a kind gesture of the taste of local food, I will show respect, if even just to touch the food to my lips and little else.
  16. kmev

kmev Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm too busy riding to be baited by your bullshit. Government-subsidized killing of whales (or any animal) to sell to tourists to eat as a novelty - do whatever you feel is right.
  17. RockyDS

Oddometer:
    If you say so. :ricky
    jeckyll, Cal and Phoenix101 like this.
  18. fatpony

fatpony Dixiecrat Supporter

Oddometer:
    LARidder and I made it all the way to TUK after spending the night in Inuvik, Cold sprinkle rain all the way, Road was doable at 50mph. Cold hard harsh winds while there and on way back to Inuvik. Roads seemed better and more packed down for return to Eagle Plains . Beware of Black "Potting Soil" looking dirt on the road around 54 miles North of Eagle Plains Lodge, consistency can change from OK to slippery goo within min. with a little rain.
    Now 5 days later headed home .Hope to put a Ride Report together and post it in the future.
    Good luck to all.
  19. RockyDS

Oddometer:
    Awesome.
  20. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    The detailed conditions reports are really helpful.

I'm heading up later than most - should arrive to Tuk around August 17th ish kinda sorta depends on a lot of stuff etc...
    poppawheelie likes this.