TUKTOYAKTUK 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Lizzard323, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Capt2u

Capt2u Papa 2 one

Oddometer:

What day are you leaving LA?
  2. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    @Capt2u planned departure is August 10th. I'm more or less b-lining it to Tuk with a stop in Hyder. If I get to Dawson and the weather isn't right, I'll head into AK instead for a bit and try again on my way back, so it could later in the month as well that I attempt it.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  3. knight

knight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    During my visit to Tuk ,the locals were freely sharing their freshly caught muk tuk with the any tourists willing to try it

[​IMG]
  4. Capt2u

Capt2u Papa 2 one

Oddometer:
    3 of us leaving on the 12th, from Murphys haven't confirmed the route north yet. May go up thru Idaho to Dawson creek, or up 5 and up cassair, Hyder, to Dawson city to Tuk. Maybe we'll cross paths

Steve
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  5. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think I will pass on the muk tuk.
    Cajunhawg likes this.
  6. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Plan is to head up Cassiar and down Through Banf/Glacier, though may change that based on weather, fires, etc.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  7. Capt2u

Capt2u Papa 2 one

Oddometer:
    Looks like our loose plans as well! Haha if Ca. Is in a heat wave we'll head east, if not we'll take the west route.

Safe travels
    TreasureState likes this.
  8. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I'll be out of CA by early afternoon my first day - aiming knock out 1kmi so I can slow the pace down some for the rest of the trip.
  9. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the muktuk. It was 5 cashew sized peices on toothpicks for, 10 dollars. I think it would be a stretch to say she sells much more than a pound or 2 a year in those portions. If it was burger sized I would object to it as well, but considering the small portions, the small tourist base and the short tourist season it's a cultural exchange not commercial whaling.
    IMG_20190617_120815_9.jpg
  10. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    The mega Omega 3 fatty acids of that food has a dramatic impact on the health of the first Nations population up there . Fish oil dailey .
    Don't confuse first world ethics with third world reality.

Max
  11. TNRyder

TNRyder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Different twist on suschi...I would try it.
    Cal and Phoenix101 like this.
  12. AT Blizzard

AT Blizzard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks less controversial and more inviting than that Dawson City "toe cocktail"...
    Bigbob1, Phoenix101 and knight like this.
  13. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While I am in Dawson waiting for good weather for the Dempster, I will stick to beer. I don't want to be fined $500 for accidentally swallowing a toe.
  14. Md11 flyer

Md11 flyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am planning a Tuk ride from Colorado Springs and will be leaving on or a few days before aug. 18. The plan is to hit Calgery as fast as I can then turn towards Dawson City. I will be solo and would not mind a riding buddy for the run from Dawson City or Inuvik to Tuk. l will be on a white GSA.
  15. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I should pull into Dawson City July 6 on this V-Strom 650. There I wait for a good weather forecast for the Dempster.
    20190619_124726.3.jpg

Attached Files:

16. Md11 flyer

Md11 flyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like I'll be a month or so behind you. Leaving Colorado on Aug 18, or a few days before. Looking to hit Tuk 8 or ten days after that. I see you are not carrying extra fuel. I was going to strap on a couple of gallons. You do not think it is necessary? I just started planning my trip so Im a little behind. I did a bid trip last year but it was not as remote as Tuk, so I have pretty much everything I need. Just trying to plan for the worst case.
    Cajunhawg and AllSeasonRider like this.
  17. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's getting to be a bit late in the year to start a trip up here.
    Cajunhawg, SunshineTom and Phoenix101 like this.
  18. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mpg’s will go up on the Dempster. It’s a slower ride and you’re between 2-5k for a lot of it. That said, having some insurance fuel isn’t a bad idea. I was able to each leg on 5gal in my Tiger.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  19. Md11 flyer

Md11 flyer Adventurer

Oddometer:

Big Bob, can you elaborate? I am looking at the historical weather data as well as the long-range forecast. Temps look to be highs of mid-'50s and lows for high 30's. Rain is the big concern. Any advice or experience you can offer would be greatly appreciated. My timing is based on available time off of work.
  20. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Md11 flyer I have been going to the Yukon in the fall for 30+ years. Some years the weather has been nice but the end of August is fall up here. Some years every higher elevation area has snow. Bring good rain gear, electric gear and extra warm wet weather gloves. If your coming up on your timeframe please be flexable in your routes and realize mother nature will decide if you make your destination. If you get up north and the weather goes to crap consider taking the Ferry to Prince Rupert BC. Coming up the Cassiar is lower elevation than the Canadian Rockies on the Alcan. What will you be riding?
    poppawheelie likes this.