TUKTOYAKTUK 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Lizzard323, Jun 27, 2018.

1. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
  2. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    • I will depart from Seattle July 2019 heading for Tuk. The last time I was in Dawson was with my wife in 1978 riding bicycles from Minnesota to mainland Alaska by way of Dawson City. She does not desire the hardship of life on the road at this time, but she wishes me well on my trip. Originally I wanted to do this motorcycle trip exactly 40 years after our epic bicycle trip, but I decided to wait until full retirement in July 2019. She and and I will meet up in Skagway for a little marital coziness and bliss on my way back South.
    • This time I will be on my V-Strom 650. I will be happy to meet any other riders heading to Inuvik or Tuk to share campsites along the way. I will be fully retired and on no set schedule, so I will definitely choose to wait out rainy weather
    • See you along the way?
  3. LongWays

LongWays Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer:
    City of Subdued Excitement.... no really it is!
    Mid-August-ish for 3-weeks or so out of the NW Corner of the PNW. Few things on the the list besides Tuk are in no particular order: South Canol, Atlin, Top Of The World, Denali Highway. Thinking about looping around through Dawson Creek on the way North, Stewart-Cassiar Highway to get home.
    eemsreno and MizzouRider like this.
  4. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  5. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I'll be heading up in June 2019. Tuk is the goal and I'm willing to wait out any weather if needed to make it.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  6. vanislejay

vanislejay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Based on 2018, what is the reasonable time window for a Tuktoyaktuk trip? Is mid June too early in the season to expect a rideable road?
  7. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    The ferries on the Dempster average opening date is around 1 June. Two of us camped on the river awaiting those openings. We made it to TUK on 2 June, 2018.

From the web on opening dates, historical.

The ferry Abraham Francis crosses the Peel River at Km 539, near Fort MacPherson.
    • 2004: June 2
    • 2005: May 25
    • 2006: June 2
    • 2007: June 2
    • 2008: May 25
    • 2009: June 1
    • 2010: May 24
    • 2011: June 4
    rubline and Phoenix101 like this.
  8. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    From I've been able to gather, the very first groups (early June) got to Tuk without much issue. Mid-season was much worse, and late season much better again. While the trouble some folks had can be considered 'typical', the timing is impossible to predict. When it's wet, it's bad. It dries quickly, but early in the season the roadbed is still frozen so water doesn't drain well. Later there's more rain, but it drains easier. Due to this, and some other reasons, I've decided to go later in the season (late Aug).

I'm not an expert, only sharing what I've gleaned from other on this forum via various ride reports and local knowledge.
  9. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on being in Dawson City July 1, 2019 to do the Dempster and Tuk highways by Jeep and/or DR650. Anyone interested in doing the same around that time? If the weather is bad, I could run sag in the Jeep. I will probably trailer the DR to Dawson City or Eagle Plains from PA. July 1 is about a week and a half after D2D. I do not plan to be at D2D.
  10. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a question that I can't find an answer for- directed to the riders who have been north of the Arctic Circle and experienced the midnight sun.

Is there a golden hour for animal avoidance? You know, the rule that most animal activity occurs an hour before and after sunrise and sunset. What happens when there is no sunrise and sunset?
    And are there guidelines to follow for up there that I haven't found?

TIA
    ScotsFire likes this.
  11. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    there seems to be animals out and about all the time... personally I almost hit a moose mid-day this year and we had a closer than we liked meeting with a bear during the middle of the "night" several years ago... Buffalo can be all over the road (Caribou and sheep too) and we have had to wait (more than one time) for a car or truck to come by and move the herd out of the way... I have said this before, we see bears (mostly black) in June like you see deer in the lower 48
    bobw likes this.
  12. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Speaking of wildlife, where do folks keep the bear spray? I've heard of folks packing it into the tank bag, but I'm wondering if a holster on your body is a better place?
  13. Rider1807

Rider1807 Love To Ride

Oddometer:
    To tell you the truth, I saw almost no animals north of the Arctic Circle. The further north we went the scarcer the animals were. There were lots on the Alcan though, time of day didn't seem to matter. (That was on the Dalton though, haven't been to TUK.)
  14. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah North of the Arctic Circle there are no animals because the zillion mosquitoes killed them LOL
    Rollin' likes this.
  15. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    right here

upload_2018-12-13_20-26-48.png
    rubline likes this.
  16. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    animals on the roads

upload_2018-12-13_20-31-8.png

upload_2018-12-13_20-33-27.png

upload_2018-12-13_20-33-54.png

Attached Files:

95Monster, rubline and bobw like this.
  17. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    upload_2018-12-13_20-39-10.png

moose
    upload_2018-12-13_20-42-25.png

upload_2018-12-13_20-47-53.png
    rubline likes this.
  18. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow. I was just about to post the question of Bear Spray location. You guys beat me to the punch. I had been pondering the options of the default position to either attach a Bear Spray holster to my bike by way of my bars or my tank bag, or the other option of having a Bear Spray holster somehow on my body as a default. I am leaning toward the holster on the person rather than the bike.
    Many years ago while backpacking my wife was doing a squat for a nature's call and while her pants were down a pair of bear cubs ran over the poop squat log my wife was on. Black bear mama was then seen in the distance coming our way. I banged our camp pots with a big wooden stick for noise as my wife pulled up her pants. In the long "run", my wife was lucky.
    If this had been a motorcycling camping trip with bear spray on the bike, whatever protection would have been back on the bike instead of where it was needed.
    Enough said.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  19. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In other words, my plan is that when my Seattle to Tuk 2019 trip takes me to serious bear territory, not only will I take my Garmin InReach Explorer+ off my handlebar mount and tether it to myself, but I will also carry my Bear Spray on my person within reach, in case of being away from my bike for whatever reason.
  20. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    All the bear sprays come with a holster. On that holster there is a belt loop. That is there for a reason.