TUKTOYAKTUK 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Lizzard323, Jun 27, 2018.

1. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    And some photos if it helps anyone...

In the thick of Tombstone:
    [​IMG]

Top of Ogilvie:
    [​IMG]

Just north of the Arctic Circle sign:
    [​IMG]

Probably my favorite photo I took of the Dempster - just amazing colors, just after crossing into the Northwest Territories:
    [​IMG]

Between Inuvik and Tuk:
    [​IMG]

And the kinds of views that await you in Tuk. I sat here to eat lunch.
    [​IMG]

Then the way back down - coming up to the Mackenzie River Ferry (this was a miserable pot-holed disaster 2 days earlier - kudos to those road crews):
    [​IMG]

Heading towards the Yukon border - road was snow covered over that pass, but no photo, unfortunately:
    [​IMG]

Then heading back into Tombstone:
    [​IMG]

It's a looooong road, and weather (and graders) impact the scenery and condition quite drastically. It was almost a different road on the way up than it was on the way down (that was true for a lot of the roads I did twice on my trip). The southern end through Tombstone was easily in the best shape - dry and fast, and looked like it would still be good even if damp, so I'd recommend going up at least into Tombstone for anyone in that area, even if there's no intent to go further north.
    dirtdoug, rubline, thirsty 1 and 11 others like this.
  2. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    YES on sleeping next to the road, waiting on the ferry!!!

Zillions of skeeters!!! Bear tracks every where, but we were exhausted, so we camped at the McKenzie River ferry .... we put up the tent, and just crawled in... did not even take our gear off...

upload_2020-11-18_13-21-28.png
  3. Cowtowner

Cowtowner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of my best memories in this road, was catching up two guys waiting on the McKenzie River ferry heading south late in the afternoon in July 2018 as I heading out from Tuk.

I said to them, you guys are on the road late.

We had a problem in Inuvik, one of them said.

I asked, what was that? “We shut down the bar”. Nice!!

Someone above asked about k60s on that road. Lots of people run mileage tires up there. But they suck in the mud - I ran Mefos on the Dempster in 2011 - never again.
    Cal and AllSeasonRider like this.
  4. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Tires are incredibly personal and I wouldn't fault anyone for feeling more comfortable on an aggressive tire for the Dempster. However, my personal opinion is that to get a tire that would perform appreciatively better in the kind of mud you may encounter there, you'd need a wickedly open tread pattern - we're talking about a full-on motocross kind of tire, which means it won't be D.O.T., won't last long, and will be miserable on hard surfaces, which is most of that road - and even then, assuming you found one that both fit your wheels and could carry the load you've got with you, it's still not going to be fun riding mud all loaded up. Even something like a D606 I can see packing up with the kind of mud that's up there - I think you'd need something like a Kenda Trackmaster at minimum to make any difference. This mud somehow sticks to itself while also sticking to nothing. I really don't think a TKC80 would be any better than a TKC70 up there, for example. With all that in mind, my thought process was if there's gonna be mud, it's gonna suck no matter what so I may as well save myself the headache of a tire change if I can help it.

Again, this is just my opinion and I wouldn't consider myself an expert by any means, so take it with a grain of salt and just consider it a data point in the grand scheme. Lots of guys switch to meaty sneakers in Whitehorse and make it up with no issues, and lots of guys leave the same tires on for the whole trip and also make it.

If it means anything, I can't recall encountering the kind of mud you might find on Dempster anywhere else on that trip.
    TreasureState likes this.
  5. Cowtowner

Oddometer:
    If idry it’s a super highway - fast as you want tires don’t matter. If it’s deep sit back and gas it

if wet - mileage tires will suck

but it doesn’t mean you can’t ride it
  6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Think good DOT rally tire such as Michelin Desert or Dunlop 908. Plenty of get up and go for almost anything. I run Deserts in my 525 and 908's on my 640.
    Cowtowner likes this.
  7. Cowtowner

Oddometer:
    theyll run super well - the issue is all the miles to get up there which is why many run the mileage tires.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  8. skibum69

Oddometer:
    908's give high mileage even on big bikes.
  9. Cowtowner

Oddometer:
    Yea for sure. I’’ve run ‘em but not up there, but next time that tire’s high on my list. I’m only going from Cowtown so not too bad.

Hopefully this summer including canol north but if border messed up hopefully south
  10. Cowtowner

Oddometer:
    although if south then hope to take 690 and I’ll be effed if I know what tire I’d run!
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    My Tuk run got screwed by some mechanicals 2 summers ago. I shipped my bike from St. John's to Whitehorse and made 2 days to Dawson when I realized I was in trouble. I shipped the bike home thankfully as the biggest problem turned out to be a main bearing failure. That was an expensive 2 days!. I do have an original "I made it to Tuk" sticker given to me by the man who made them that is filed away until I get there.
  12. Cowtowner

Oddometer:
    Damn, I think I was up there at that time. I picked up some Tuk stickers for Mike from Nfld and Friends then drank some beers with them in Gerties before heading south the next day.
  13. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Which Mike from NL? I think it was this guy...seeing as we're both Mike's from NL.:lol3
    [​IMG]
  14. Cowtowner

Oddometer:
    Well I’m gonna say the gu on the left. Just met you a PM.
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Yup, the dude on the left is MikefromNL. We were friends before he moved to BC, it was a hoot to catch up with him in Whitehorse.
    TreasureState likes this.
  16. TreasureState

TreasureState A murse posing as a freelance dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Went from the minor groove to the lagging strand
    What is crazy to me is to see the guy on the right looks like my buddy in Anchorage who also runs KTM's

:beer
  17. Cowtowner

Oddometer:
  18. Cowtowner

Oddometer:
    Ha ha fuck yeah we had breakfast the next day on main street and I thought I was gonna puke! Left Inuvik like 3 30 am and left Gerties via Tuk at like 2 30 am the next morning
  19. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tires...These guys said they rode to Inuvik in a day on street tires, easy peasey... and then on the way back it started to pour rain and the road turned into goose shit

upload_2020-11-18_21-14-41.png

Their bikes were broken and one guy was really hurt... note the foot pegs

upload_2020-11-18_21-18-5.png
  20. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Well yeah, those are straight up street tires! I'd at least want to run what's marketed as 50/50 tires (even though they're really more like 10/90 off/on). I ran Motoz GPSs on my 1090 and really had no complaints. I can't compare them to other mileage tires because they're they only ones I've ever run, but I picked them because people seemed to think they did better in the wet and dirt than things like the K60s while lasting just as long. If I go back up, I'll be on the 690 instead and I'll run GPSs again without hesitation - at least on the rear. I might try a Adventure on the front as my intent on that trip would be to ride way more dirt up there. I standardly run Motoz RallZs on the 690 - the rear wouldn't make the trip, and I haven't done enough 'easy' pavement to know how long the front would last.