TUKTOYAKTUK 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Lizzard323, Jun 27, 2018.

1. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    The mud and dirt up there is something else. Folks told me the bike wouldn't be the same after that trip and I brushed it off, but they're right! A scotch brite pad was needed for all of the non-shiney parts, and it still wasn't 100%. The guy I bought my 690 from had taken it to AK that year and it was the same deal - concrete-like dirt in all of the nooks and crannies!
  2. Andocalrisian

Andocalrisian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the Motoz GPS the other day. Seems like a cool feature to be able to switch the rear tire around for more off road biased tread pattern. Did you have your tire positioned for “off road” mode? Have you tried each direction? Looks like a good tire by most accounts!
  3. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    @Andocalrisian Only tried it in the more road orientation. I've heard others say there's a difference, but mileage suffers... not sure if that's to do with the how it's mounted or because it wears faster because people are using it offroad more,
    Andocalrisian likes this.
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm the guy on the right andI'm definitely not in Alaska.
    TreasureState likes this.
  5. kegonlegs

kegonlegs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I remember talking to you on the ferry, I was on a 990r and my buddy on a klr. We had a pretty good chuckle looking at your TKC on the rear, I think that's what was on there. You said it lost a little life on it's way up from Calgary from extended throttle use, LOL. When we stopped in Mcpherson my buddy was like Holy shit that guy was instantly gone. Well we didn't make it too far we had another problem this time in eagle plains.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  6. kegonlegs

kegonlegs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AWESOME
    AllSeasonRider and TreasureState like this.
  7. guideboat1

guideboat1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Summer of 2019 rode my GSA from the lower Hudson Valley to Tuk, returned through BC and across the Canadian plains back to the Lower Hudson Valley - nearly 11K miles on the Motoz GPS'; then rode them another 3k plus until I switched to a new set. That ride was lots of asphalt, gravel, mud - temps from super hot riding to the 30's on a portion of the Dempster. I never wasted my time reversing the tread on the rear wheel to ride the Dempster. In total I never had a tush tightening moment because the tires became unstable or psycho on the mixed surfaces. I can not say enough good things about these tires. In contrast to other brands, until the Motoz I was unimpressed by any of the tires I tried, these GPS' check off all the boxes in what I need to do all kinds of riding environments I encounter. Technical off road, there are probably better but not what I need or would want.
  8. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Given all described above as accurate, a totally different road surface is north of Inuvik. There, the substrate become more pebbly With less fine particles to bind it. More like loose marbles for long stretches. The dust is fairly constant unless it wet. Then it gets cold. The maximum speed is down to 70 kmh. We had a random snow late June with frosty winds a lot of the way. Grading is constant. Visibility is terrific once you are out of the dust.

[​IMG]

Pebbly surface
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    @Fishnbiker yup, and last year it got kinda sorta deep as you rolled into town.

I'd say the surface in the NT was generally different than the YT, where the NT has more of those larger pebbles over a former, less muddy base, or just the base in some spots. You'll get a little bit of everything on that road.
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  10. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:

Beautiful Pics!! I got the dark days of winter here, for me, lol, and this brings back some good memories. My riding buddy Curtis, myself, and a couple others we met, went to the sign after D2D 19'. We stayed in Eagle Plains for the night. The weather was Perfect! We had thoughts of Tuk but the weather was supposed to be in the lows 30's w/ snow so we got to the sign.

Tombstone NP never tasted so good!!!

IMG_0805.JPG
  11. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    short sleeve weather today

upload_2020-12-20_9-51-41.png
  12. TreasureState

TreasureState A murse posing as a freelance dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Went from the minor groove to the lagging strand
    thirsty 1 and Phoenix101 like this.
  13. Andocalrisian

Andocalrisian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. Cowtowner

Cowtowner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, ha ha just saw this post (don't seem to be getting email notifications) - that was a great day, I remember when I went past eagle plains into the evening it was starting to rain pretty good. The TKC made it all the way to Calgary but it was getting pretty bald. Your R was a nice looking ride, and I always like to see a good KLR too! Have a good New Year! John
    kegonlegs and TreasureState like this.