TUKTOYAKTUK 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Lizzard323, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple a takaways from my (almost) trip to Tuk...The Tuk road was too muddy for passage when I was there. Unless you are specifically planning DS roads on the way north, ride on road tires. There is no need for DS tires otherwise. For the actual Tuk road, order some DS tires online Via Canada and have them shipped and waiting for you in Dawson City. I ordered mine via Fortnine.com
    Bear spray: Yes, have it attached and readily available-not IN something. On the Cassiar Hwy I came upon 8 grizzly bears walking down the road-not all at once. Some were eating road kill, all were looking for food. I was on the C just after the snow melt in early June. I also camped.
    eemsreno and herculeslyndel like this.
  2. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put it on the bike because I felt there was a higher risk of an unplanned get off and don't want to be doing a tumble and tear the top off the canister and cover myself with bear spray... but the above arguments make sense too...
  3. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I'm probably going to do the same with the bear spray. I often like to stop on rides and wonder off from the side of the road, so it's best if it's just habit to keep it on me. Same goes for the InReach, but I'll be getting the mini so it can stash in a pocket.

If anyone needs a how-to :lol3
    ScotsFire likes this.
  4. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    If you're prepared for a get off by being an ATTGAT type, why would you add an extremely hard metallic can of bear spray to your outfit?
    They put shock absorbing foam pads on contact points, not bulky hard objects, to land on.

Carry bear spray on the bike when on the bike. When you get off the bike, take the bear spray with you.

Convenient - not as much. Safer - yes!
    eemsreno and Phoenix101 like this.
  5. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wherever you put it make sure it is immediately accessible....(example = a firearm in the glove box or in a tank bag = useless)...any weapon or defensive item is totally useless if not able to be deployed in a second or two....and....where ever you put it practice drawing it....if needed you shouldn't have to think about deploying...your attention should be on the threat...we act like we train...most folks, when they go into condition red, freeze and are dead in a few seconds.

Here's where I carry mine when on the bike...when off the bike it's on my hip.

A0B06FD1-738F-4CB8-9598-A1BE5DB5A268.jpg

6. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am a big advocate of bear spray...I just keep forgetting to bring it on my AK trips. I'll probably remember it someday when it's too late. DE6CB4D3-E242-4E54-93FE-DA1CEEB20AC2.jpeg
    rubline likes this.
  7. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Quite the resemblance...
    rubline and Migolito like this.
  8. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    At that campground there was definite signs of Big Bears with their scat here and there. One particular large poop mound looked weird so I got a stick and started poking around. There was a lot of brown hair that looked familiar, but I couldn’t place it. I kept digging a little farther and noticed something with a little shine. Scraping away, it turned out to be a Timex watch...upon close inspection I could see the second hand moving, talk about taking a licking and keeps on ticking...
    Dan Alexander, rubline and Phoenix101 like this.
  9. herculeslyndel

herculeslyndel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    These posts too funny to retort.

Anyone actually had to deploy ?

Also would Anakee 3 be suitable for Tuktoyaktuk road or would need TKC or more robust for the mud ?
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  10. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW and I have not been there so take this recommendation with a grain of salt.

I would think the Anakee 3 would be too street oriented if (when) the road gets wet and you need traction.
    I'm planning on Mitas E07 Dakar's. I liked my first set when I ran them through Colorado and Utah.
  11. herculeslyndel

herculeslyndel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot. Will consider those v TKCs.
  12. Mikeb99

Mikeb99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ran motoz tractionator adventures last year to Tuk. Worked well in the slop and mud
    rubline likes this.
  13. SuchesTom

SuchesTom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did Tuk this summer. You can ride any tire if its dry. When it gets wet it's terrible, you need something that will shed mud or it will cake up and take you down. The problem with counting on any tire if its dry is when they work the road they apply a lot of water. Use knobs, and be prepared to camp should the road become to wet. The worst spots were north of Eagle Plains. We went down in our first good mud hole North of Eagle Plains. Thought we were slow enough to make it through, but our trailers got in one set of tracks, bikes in another and we dropped them. Wrote that one up as a learning experience and successfully crossed the remainder going and coming. We left the Trailers in a campground in Inuvek and day tripped the bikes to Tuk. Our biggest problem happened early, one of the GSA's took a rock to the oil site glass and broke it. It was discovered when we stopped for lunch and the oil started running out the hole while on the side stand. Fairbanks BMW doesn't stock the part, the break happened on Saturday, and overnight delivery doesn't occur overnight in Alaska. (Plus its a long ride to Fairbanks and back). We wound up making a temporary plug for the hole and using the electronic oil level for oil checks to Tuk and back. Fixed it properly when we went through Fairbanks. (Our final "temporary fix" was to use the scissors in the first aid kit to cut a disk from a plastic oil can and press it into the window slot in the rubber seal that holds the window. We used ziplock bags for additional gasket material, and parked on the center stand. This worked well enough to not lose oil. Hope you don't need our "fix" but be prepared for a suprise or two.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  14. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw a dozen bears just in the stretch of the Cassiar and Stewart. Had a few walk out in the road and one I almost hit. It was the middle of the day.

Joe
    hwyhound likes this.
  15. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had two cans of bear spray and a bear horn with me. I had each of the bear sprays strapped to my crash bars with velcro straps. One on each side. Kept them easy to access and didn't take space in my luggage. Kept the bear horn in in a bag. When hiking I undid the velcro and carries the spray on my riding vest. And, I kept one can and the horn in my tent at night.
  16. akjblizz

akjblizz n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm interested in going to the Arctic Ocean. I'm in Fairbanks and think end of May or early June. Camping the whole way.
  17. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have used bear spray on a black bear. It charged me while I was doing yard work.

While riding my bikes I keep it hooked to my handlebars on my KLR or Wing. I keep a second one in a tank bag or trunk that I carry if I am off my bike.
  18. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    Totally agree. I've burned off 2 sets of A-3s. One of my favorite tires, but (in my opinion) they're no good off road. Exception dry dirt, but most anything works for that.
  19. Migolito

Oddometer:
    Sorry BB1, I'm gonna use that excuse next time I'm not feeling Yard Work... :)
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  20. Migolito

Oddometer:
    On my Honda CB500X I used TKC80 front and a Mitas E07 rear. Bike weighs 430ish, me 220, gear 80ish. They did well as far as wear. I rode from S-Cal to Dawson and back on one set. The vibration just screwed with me too much.

Tent: I used an MSR Hubba Tour 2. Absolutely PERFECT for 1 person and a ton of gear. Very dry, huge vestibule for rainy days, 2 entrances, and easy to set up. IMO, probably too hot for summer 80 deg weather. BTW, when I head norte again, I will be moteling it...ala Tewster. Smart man.

Mosquitos: https://www.thermacell.com/products/backpacker-repeller. Get one of these for inside the tent. You can buy me a beer later.
    Cajunhawg and Tewster2 like this.