TUKTOYAKTUK 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Lizzard323, Jun 27, 2018.

1. herculeslyndel

herculeslyndel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks migilito; love the 90hr duration; bookmarked! And thanks mike re motor and tom for advice on the mud; I have read so many stories re site glass breakage. Simply need to mcgyver it or you're carrying an extra bike with you.
  2. Rossland Rider

Rossland Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in bear country. Respect them but don't worry. Don't carry bear scare on your person while riding, tank bag or on handlebars is fine. Landing on it would be bad and far more likely than being hurt by a bear. Take it with you if off the bike for a while or if camping.
  3. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    How much would you spend to ride to Tuk?
    I rode to Deadhorse in 2012 and Inuvik in 2015. A few months after the ride to Inuvik I started planning the trip to Tuk and had planned to do the ride this year BUT instead I retired and became a fulltime caregiver.
    I still want to ride to Tuk and to get the time to do it I would need to move my wife to respite care for two weeks and that will cost about $4,000.
    So $4,000 just to leave the house plus the trip. Tuk is the last ride on my todo list and after a year of going nowhere I think I'm going to do it.
    I'm not getting any younger and if I don't do the ride I think I will always regret it. I still have a few months to think about it but I am building a bike for a ride I may never do.

MrEndo and 95Monster like this.
  4. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm also full time caregiver. Sometimes life takes it's own little twists. I decided a couple of years ago that is what are savings are for so now I take 3-4 trips of 5-8 days each year. And try to throw in one longer trip. If I don't spend it my kids will and they both have good jobs.

We do have a respite care place close that is much cheaper. It is an older place but clean and smells good and generally they have good help. But I also will take a lot more than two weeks to ride to Tuk and back.

I am not going to hurry although my friends that ride with me sometimes claim I never stop, because of that I generally go alone on longer trips.
    Cajunhawg and Rollin' like this.
  5. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My trip was 31 days, 8140 miles. On day 5 I connected with another rider and we rode together for the rest of the trip. Weather was so so and we ended up splitter hotels/cabins/hostels more than I had planned. Only camped about a week of it. Also spent some money doing a ferry from Skagway to Haines. Ate pretty well. Only had an oil change and new chain for bikes expenses beyond fuel. In total I spent just at $4K USD. My trip report is here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/a-newbs-ak-canada-trip-2018.1315599
    On the last page i posted my actual tracks and you can see it included a lot of areas. I averaged 282 miles per day.

If all you did was work your way to Tuk it should be cheaper!

Joe
    Maggot12 and Cajunhawg like this.
  6. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a great video of an Alaskan and Inuvik/Tuk trip.
    Dempster starts at 1:12:20

7. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did not know that Metallica once played in Tuk.

Cal and rubline like this.
  8. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    I am sure you are well aware but for those that are not. You can not, without reserving a tour, get to the Arctic Ocean by riding to Deadhorse on the Dalton Highway out of Fairbanks. That is why the road to TUK (Dempster) has greater appeal now than the Dalton. In TUK you can dip your toes, go skinny dipping or in my case, dip toes and walk on the Arctic Ocean.

It is only 1500 miles from Fairbanks to Tuk. Less if you use the TOW highway. Looks like 900+-
    Bigbob1, Cajunhawg and rubline like this.
  9. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Jesus! Was that you?

:hide

:D
    Tewster2 and squiffynimrod like this.
  10. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    LMAO.... It took me a while (20 sec) to get it. Good one.. But yes, when the Arctic Ocean reaches 28.7 degrees or Minus 1.833333 degrees Celsius it freezes. I was in Tuk from June 2nd to the 5th. The ocean was frozen, mostly. It was starting to thaw. I walked on it, the frozen part and although I contemplated skinny dipping in the liquid portion I only dipped my lower legs in it. I did not mean to say I was Jesus although one guy I met from Mexico named Jesus (riding a Ducati) was headed up there on June 6th. So I can assume Jesus did in fact walk on water.
  11. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Glad you got the joke and the underlying question, because I was wondering about the circumstances. Thanks for the elaboration.
  12. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    That was very enjoyable to watch, along with some ice and scotch. It's a bucket list for me whether I ride or drive.

Couple observations as I've only looked at pics of the route and this was the first video. Kind of a scary thought, but If a rider were to go down any of the thousands of embankments, he/she may never be found again. Comms would be non existent I'd assume.

Lots of cyclists... I'm not one, so I have a hard time understanding why someone would take that on.

Thanks for sharing.

Cajunhawg likes this.
  13. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    Well, as you know, most riders use a SPOT or INREach tracker, wear it on their bodies and hopefully can hit the SOS button at the bottom of the hill if they cant climb up.

I usually ride alone and strap my SPOT on my arm in the more "dangerous" areas.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  14. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Most? I know it's an option that many use, maybe even a majority of those doing the Dempster, but do you have a source for the most claim?
  15. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    No. I just made it up.
  16. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    I support this conjecture.
  17. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Fair enough, I just wanted to know the basis of my classification as being a member of a minority group. :drink

Nothing against the idea, but it wasn't an option on my first AK trip, and I got used to the idea that in some circumstances, if I fuck up, my carcass may not be found until the next spring thaw and somebody investigates the crowd of vultures on the side of the road.
    And I'm also a Luddite when it comes to riding. I surprised one ADVer when, after checking out my Tiger, she asked, "Where's the gps mount?" "Ain't got one." I like to keep things simple. And especially in the far north, a gps is pretty superfluous.
    72 Yamaha RD350, Cal and Tewster2 like this.
  18. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I look at a map the same way a 14 year old boy looks at a Playboy :lol3
  19. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    38.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

:deal
  20. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spot - I used it.

[​IMG]

Also makes a nice map of the rides.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    onthetrail, rubline and Phoenix101 like this.