TUKTOYAKTUK 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Lizzard323, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We carry SPOT so family know where we are and since medical and mechanical services are rare North of the Arctic Circle, you have to depend on being able to contact someone to get help coming your way... we also carry rescue insurance. There are great people up there that will help you in a bind (we know of truckers heading South hauling broken motorcycles for a few 100 bucks and we know of a local taking in a stranded motorcyclist for a couple of days until they could find someone heading South to pack the rider South. We figure since we can afford to travel up North we can also take steps to take care of ourselves and if we get help from locals that is just frosting on the cake (so to speak)... BTW our GPS (two) had issues up North so agree GPS may not be the best so we carry maps.
  2. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    Not up north. No way. That is preposterous. More like 39%. Don't know WHERE you got that number. Google?
    rubline likes this.
  3. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've told you guys ten million times don't exaggerate.
    rubline likes this.
  4. Zencyl

Zencyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    Everyone exaggerates.

The "backfire effect" is not only a problem/issue with motorcycles it is real and effects riders discussing things as important as this.
  6. VDZride

VDZride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    “Nothing against the idea, but it wasn't an option on my first AK trip, and I got used to the idea that in some circumstances, if I fuck up, my carcass may not be found until the next spring thaw and somebody investigates the crowd of vultures on the side of the road”
    Sorry Mapmaster, no buzzards up here just a bunch of big ass Ravens and Eagles but that’s after the bigger critters have their share ;)
    rubline likes this.
  7. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    "Nothing against the idea, but it wasn't an option on my first AK trip, and I got used to the idea that in some circumstances, if I fuck up, my carcass may not be found until the next spring thaw and somebody investigates the crowd of vultures on the side of the road."

But to me, if I look back to when I flew fighters. I strapped in so if I had to eject I would have a parachute. I could have never strapped in and since most fighter pilots don't ever eject I would have been good. But, 2 Sept 1992 I did. I had a SPOT velcro attachment and not only was my family able to follow my ride but I was rescued due to tracking. My life has been longer than it could have been if I just decided to not strap in because I thought it was cool to have birds to eat me.

But enough about wearing a tracker/SOS device. Lets talk about what oil and tires one should use riding the remote regions.
    ScotsFire, rubline and Bigbob1 like this.
  8. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Phoenix101 and squiffynimrod like this.
  9. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Well... I was going to get all fake snarky and point out that I said 'vulture' not 'buzzard', but:
    According to Wiki those two terms are synonymous in North America. (:scratch That's not how I've learned my birds.)
    The range of vultures is not that far north (I stand corrected, :doh).

So I'll just go with, 'It was a figure of speech'. :lol3
    VDZride likes this.
  10. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    And to further tilt at windmills: All y'all going on about SPOT/trackers:
    I'm well aware of their uses and life saving potential and am not advocating against them. I was questioning the assertion about the extent of their use.
    I may still continue to choose not to use one when I head up that way. :p3rry
    Cal likes this.
  11. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    Come on MapMaster....were over that and on to oil and tires. Or rubbers as they say in NASCAR.
    MapMaster likes this.
  12. rubline

rubline Coddiwomple

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE Lets talk about what oil and tires one should use riding the remote regions.[/QUOTE]

I am going to give the MotoZ GPS Tractionators a go for my Alaska trip. For oil I just go with conventional 10W40, motorcycle (JA) rated of course
  13. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used "sticker" tires!

[​IMG]
    rubline likes this.
  14. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Clever. An outside-in rim lock. Lemme get my hammer.
  15. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    How did we devolve to an oil thread so quickly? :fpalm

My planning has changed somewhat as I'm really considering doing the trip solo. It's not that I don't like you guys but the idea of testing myself (safely) is really becoming a focus.
    With that in mind the trip farkling (stuff for the trip not the bike) has begun.

Delorme inReach Explorer from the FM- check.
    Dustriders bike lift from the FM- check.
    Good quality bug net- check.
    New RAM GoPro mounts- check.

My 02 GSA is pretty kitted out so there may not be much else other than fresh Mitas E07 Dakar tires needed prior to leaving. I may get the HES rebuilt by @GS Addict to eliminate that potential trip stopper. Regular maintenance and trip prep will be up to date prior to leaving. Oil type TBD :kat.

Current plan has me leaving Regina SK on June 22. I'll push hard to get up there with arrival in Dawson around the 27th via Ross River and the Campbell Hwy. Then I'll slow the pace down and enjoy myself. A rest day if needed and weather days as required. Hopefully reach Tuk for Canada Day July 1! Overnight on the spit, take a tour, get a feel for the place as I doubt I'll ever get back there.
    Back to Dawson, a rest day and then meander home for 10+ days. TOWH to Chicken and Tok so I can tick Alaska off the list, I may head to Anchorage and Anchor Point too. Need to be back home by July 15 so no fixed plans- as long as I'm Dawson by the 10th I can make it home in time.

Of course all of this may change but that's the plan as of today.

And if this is TLDR here's a drone video of Tuk
    thirsty 1, 'Bob', rubline and 3 others like this.
  16. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I will use my InReach Explorer in a similar way. It it great for tracking where I am, and it is also great for (admittedly slow) text messaging when I am away from cell phone signal.
  17. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool video. Looks like two tents up at the end of the peninsula? Definitely looks more interesting than Deadhorse.
    Sure hope to be there in August. (With a spot tracker, tires, and oil.)
    One thing I haven’t decided on is if I’m even going to get into Alaska. I do plan on going back (with my wife) in a year or two. No trips to DH or TUK. We will be trying to hit all the parks, tourist stuff etc. as we will be in a Tundra, pulling a 23’ travel trailer. I’ll be one of “those guys” slowing you all down.
    This trip may be just to TUK and back, with side trips. I really liked the TOW last time up. I was thinking this time maybe go up to Eagle. Is it worth the time? The ride up there seems worth it.
  18. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    General Recommendation re Alaska:
    DO IT!
    Do it whenever the opportunity presents itself. Do it now, do it later, and do it again - repeatedly.
    Do any of it, do a little of it, do all of it (impossible, but make the attempt).

Specifically to your question about Eagle, I found it well worth my time and suggest that you include it in your run to/from Tuk. More especially sooner on the bike rather than later when towing a large rig, because there are definitely sections of the road where hauling a 23' trailer would indeed be problematic when encountering oncoming traffic. If going there on the later trip, consider parking the trailer in Chicken or elsewhere before venturing that way. It was an easy day's ride including Eagle in my run from Dawson to Tok.

The following is a link to the Eagle excursion part of my 2015 ride report.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/ther...wt-and-james-bay.1111225/page-5#post-28323322
    MizzouRider likes this.
  19. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not about what others do, it's about what you do for yourself. In regards to the Spot or InReach, who cares if your the only one in a thousand who wears one, it counts if you need it regardless of the other 999 riders.
  20. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    Spot now offers monthly subscriptions. The model that texts is nice. Finally catching up with InReach. I guess if your peeps at home need to hear from you thats good. I just hit the preset "I'm Ok" button on my old Spot at the end of each day. Not much someone 6000 miles away can do if you need help. They all have the SOS button. I have never had travel medical insurance but would if outside the US and Canada.

Sticker tires rock.

https://www.findmespot.com/spotx/lander.php
    MizzouRider and Rollin' like this.