TUKTOYAKTUK 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Lizzard323, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    That's a cool vid, and really gives a sense of the place. Larger area than I thought.

Be nice to have some sort of yurt, cabin, or a place to put up a tent there though. At 1:12 Can see 2 tents set up, which I assume the locals are ok with.

Didn't see any trees to hang a hammock, but did see some high patios that I could hang from, if the owner would allow. :D

Eventually, someone could probably make a decent business venture and put in real cottages, cabins, motel, etc.

2. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    "That's a cool vid, and really gives a sense of the place. Larger area than I thought."
    It is actually pretty small 800-900 people and when I was there most of the men were gone hunting geese. The video "to me" makes it seem larger.

"Be nice to have some sort of yurt, cabin, or a place to put up a tent there though. At 1:12 Can see 2 tents set up, which I assume the locals are ok with."
    We camped on the baseball field. That was ok then. There are spots at the tip too. I liked the field because people would walk by and talk. The town is what it is. I bet there will be some accommodations to rent set up but the question is...do they want that. On June 2nd - the 5th when I was there the Ocean was still mostly frozen. It was about 40-45 during the day BUT when the wind changed off the ice it would drop 20 degrees in minutes.

"Didn't see any trees to hang a hammock, but did see some high patios that I could hang from, if the owner would allow."
    There are no trees once you hit the tundra. As seen in the video. I got sunburned there. Sun up all day and night and no shade. AS for hanging up a hammock on someones house.... Your a stranger to them. I would think twice about letting someone hang one at my house, wouldn't you?

"Eventually, someone could probably make a decent business venture and put in real cottages, cabins, motel, etc."
    Maybe. It is a very short tourist season and not a lot of venture capitalists hanging around. Maybe there will be someday....

I am not an expert on the area but my riding partner during that leg, the locals, the Mounties and the local chief that I remain friends with all seem to agree. A very new thing (tourists) to this town. It would only take one bad event by a tourist to ruin what it is now.

ScotsFire and LongWays like this.
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I'm from Newfoundland so familiar with little sea side villages/towns and 3 week long summers.
    My old town has 150 people. So yes, Tuk is still larger than I expected and reminds me of many small Nfld towns.

Also familiar with the tundra terrain and lack of trees.
    Yes I would let someone in my yard, and I have done so. I wouldn't ask someone that though.
    AdvRich likes this.
  4. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    This looks doable. First day longest, with decreasing durations for the most part.

upload_2019-1-5_21-56-18.png

I'm factoring in time at Liard hotsprings on the outbound and return legs :thumbup
    Maggot12 likes this.
  5. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response. I’ve been before and that’s why I’m going back. I just don’t know if I want to go back over ground I’ve covered before. Hence, I’m headed for TUK instead of Deadhorse. When I rode TOW last time I started towards Eagle, but did not have time, plus I had no idea what was up there. It’s just such a greatride through there, it worth doing it again. I’ll have time for Eagle, but not going all the way over to Fairbanks. Like I said, I may not actually cross the border.
  7. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you decide to ride the ToW highway again on your next trip, you should also take a side trip off of it to the 40 mile town site. You are suppose to park at a trailhead about a mile from the old town and walk in. I know some have ridden the trail. But the building are cool and there are some old dredge buckets and it's located right at the confluence of the Yukon and 40 mile river which is beautiful. (64.423814, -140.533191 - Town) (64.412518, -140.535336 - Parking)
    AdvRich, Bigbob1, MizzouRider and 3 others like this.
  8. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Anyone do any fishing on the way up...
  9. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I fished every day on my last trip in the eastern part of the NWT,( all the Forts's) caught Arctic Graying, rainbow and lots of pike! The licence was only 20.00 for the year. This June 18th my license will be free!
    Maggot12 likes this.
  10. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Had to google Artic Grayling....

I was posted to BC for a few yrs and did lots of fishing out there but never got north of Jasper though. I need to get up that way to see more of our beautiful country and catch some of those fish. Looks like a spin cast and a fly rod will be on the packing list.
    Cal likes this.
  11. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    we did

Attached Files:

Cal likes this.
  12. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I carried a small spin cast rod and used mostly Mepps I went up the McKenzie with a local and had a hoot catching 2 and 3 ft pike, all was catch and release as I did not need to smell like fish while camping. Looking forward to seeing the regulations for further up the Dempster, I rode to Inuvik in 2014 without my rod, going to take it this time.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  13. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice little Pike! Fun when your in an area where you catch them every 3rd or 4th cast!
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  14. LongWays

LongWays Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer:
    City of Subdued Excitement.... no really it is!
    Spend a night at Northern Canadian Rocky Mountain Lodge in at least one direction and indulge yourself with the meal package.
  15. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    @LongWays , thanks for the tip. Do you have first hand experience with the Lodge? I ask because their website says "one can easily loose track of time drinking imported German draft beer or a fine bottle of wine and enjoying our homemade schnitzel and spätzli." In March 2018 I went on a beer tour of Bavaria and had lots of outstanding German draft beer, schnitzel and spätzli. Do you know what beer they are serving? I'd love to get another dose of Bavarian gemütlichkeit!
    djroszina likes this.
  16. knight

knight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fishing
    Between Inuvik and Tuk ,I saw signs that phohibited fishing within a certain distance from the road
    and to all but the local first nation people

Also saw a few private property signs and "this land is native owned "etc
  17. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to know, lots of other opportunities south of there. I have been looking at the Regs. on the NWT government site.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  18. akjblizz

akjblizz n00b

Oddometer:
    I road to Deadhorse from Fairbanks a couple of years ago. It was nice until Atigun Pass. After that the scenery is bland, lots of biting bugs, and rough gravel road surface. Nothing to do in Deadhorse except fill the gas tank. I don't know why that ride attracts so many riders. I will not do it again.
  19. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It used to be the furthest point north you could ride in North America. I’ve Road Trucker road etc.. I felt the same way when I got there. It was 2:00 in the afternoon. I filled up, took pics, bought a sticker, and left. It’s a bucket list trip. I’d also like to ride to Terra Del Fuego. Furthest point South, but my wife won’t let me go. Ha!!
    rubline likes this.
  20. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Deadhorse is still the furthest point north that you can ride to in NA.