Tuktoyaktuk

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Chkrdvanz, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Chkrdvanz

Chkrdvanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Morning all, I'm planning a ride to the great white north. We're leaving Dallas, Texas on July 30, riding through the black hills and glacier and into Canada. I've got the forestry trunk road on my list up to Grand Prairie, AB and then heading west and North to Dawson city. Any advise, warnings or can't miss places would be greatly appreciated.
  2. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    You have heard the border is closed to all tourists right now.
  3. Chkrdvanz

Chkrdvanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, but my trip isn't until August. I'm hoping it will reopen by then.
  4. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    As do we all but the reality of the times is just starting to hit home. I know Texas is along way from the northern border so information was all I was trying to share.
    On another note related to this situation is northern communities are more susceptible to virus because of the lack of health care available in the far north.
    I do hope you and everyone who wants to get to Tuk can do so but not at the risk of decimating the native population again. We did that here and it is a black mark on our society that can not be erased.
    Migolito and travlr_45 like this.
  5. Too Tall

Too Tall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Black Hills is a beautiful place to visit. However, your timing is close to the annual Black Hills Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. This may be an event you're trying to check off your bucket list or may be something you may want to avoid. 500,000 motorcyclist does change the Black Hill's dynamics.
  6. Chkrdvanz

Chkrdvanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I understand that and I have no desire to bring harm on anyone. I have a contingency plan if I can't cross the border to ride the Colorado and Idaho BDRs. We'll see how it works out. BTW, I don't want the news or read newspapers, but I'd have to live in a cave to not know about this stuff.
    Cal and 95Monster like this.
  7. Chkrdvanz

Chkrdvanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hadn't thought of that. No, I have absolutely no desire to attend or be anywhere near the rally. We should be well beyond the black hills by the time it rolls into town on August 7.
  8. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:

This is a time to consider the welfare of those other than yourself.

The circumstances are extraordinary, and these circumstances exist, whether you are willing to read the news or not.
    travlr_45 likes this.
  9. Too Tall

Too Tall Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I feel very fortunate to live in the Black Hills. Great riding both on and off-road. That being said, we're actually planning our 4th trip to AK the end of June assuming the current health crisis gets resolved.
  10. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    A few things about the north.
    1) Let the weather dictate your schedule!
    2) Mosquitos are the devil
    3) Be bear aware, but not terrified.
    4) Highly recommend fresh tires in Whitehorse.
    5) Make sure you have 250mi range
    6) MasterCard and Visa work better than Amex. Cash works but a few places don’t do conversion.
  11. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chkrdvanz likes this.
  12. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plan like the virus doesn’t exist. The government allow go and no go areas. The western Cassiar route is awesome and Stewart Hyder is a must see along with Salmon glacier.
    On the way up the Chief Joseph and Beartooth Pass are must see, Cody and Red Lodge are great places on each end to wet your whistle and get a bite to eat.
    What bikes are you taking?
    Sturgis is amusing for a day, I never miss it. It’s been my jump off point for 3 of my Alaska trips.
    Motopsychoman and Chkrdvanz like this.
  13. Chkrdvanz

Chkrdvanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Buddy, I don't think I said I was trying to do anything to hurt anyone. I'm just planning a trip. If it doesn't happen I'll be fine with that. I don't need you to lecture me on my responsibilities as a human. I'm an adult and I can make my own decisions, I don't need you or anyone else to tell me what to do.
  14. Chkrdvanz

Chkrdvanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be on my 790 adventure with one guy on a 690 and another on a 1290. It's an all orange crew. Thanks for the encouragement. There doesn't seem to be much of that around right now.
    djroszina likes this.
  15. Chkrdvanz

Chkrdvanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I grew up in Michigan and I've heard the mosquitoes are horrible. We've spoken with a shop in Whitehorse about tires already. We're also prepared to wait out the weather if needed. We've got the fuel range covered and I've got visa and MasterCard. Should I exchange some money before I get too far in?
  16. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    It wouldn’t hurt to keep some Loonies on hand.
    Another thing I thought of; when you head up the Dempster. Make sure you are ready to dry camp a few days just incase the ferry is broken when you get there. That means a gal or two of water or purification capability. Odds are very high it won’t be needed. But riding in that dust can make you thirsty out there.
    Chkrdvanz likes this.
  17. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    We are planning a car trip to Tuk in May if the border opens by then, side note we just crossed back into the US on Friday from a ski trip up to a place near Kelowna, BC we knew we could get home but no more recreational travel either direction for now, anyway I'll be watching to see if you get to make your trip and I'll check in if we get to go albeit in our Subaru, I'm looking at a 790 to replace the VStrom.
    Chkrdvanz likes this.
  18. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    Oh and we keep small amounts of Canadian money with us but mainly use our card because it does the conversion.
    Chkrdvanz likes this.
  19. Chkrdvanz

Chkrdvanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've owned a vstrom, it's a great bike, but 790 is a huge upgrade
  20. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    That's what I want to hear, I loved my 650 but it was dependably boring, 2 up we clicked 35000 miles in 3 years, I can't fault the bike for showing us a good time. Now back to the Tuk trip
    Chkrdvanz likes this.