Tuktoyaktuk

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Chkrdvanz, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Chkrdvanz

Chkrdvanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience. If our trip is half as interesting as what you've described, minus the rain I hope, it will be the trip of a lifetime.
    How was your return trip? Did you make any other stops on the way back?
    Rollin' likes this.
  2. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
    Continue to the next pages in the story, the return trip was drier but also had it's challenges.
    There's 9 pages total including the cleanup and repairs needed when I got home.
  3. Chkrdvanz

Chkrdvanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What an awesome adventure. I'm so glad there were people close when you hit the ground. You are to be commended for riding that trip solo. I can't wait to experience it myself, if not this year than in the future. I'll keep planning and hope for the best.
    Also, as a nurse I know the importance of the care giver taking care of themselves too. This is especially true when the person you are caring for is a loved one. I have a certain professional distance I can keep so I don't get too close. You don't have that because your patient is your wife. Continue to do that. The better you take care of you, the better you'll take care of her.
    Rollin' likes this.
  4. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you!!
    I hope you get a chance to go.
    Chkrdvanz likes this.
  5. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did it from the Austin area last year. Great ride just stay flexible and know that the weather may dictate whether you can make it all the way or not. I had great weather on the way up but it rained on the way back luckily not that bad though. There were a bunch of forest fires at the intersection of the Klodnike and Dempster. They were doing construction at the beginning of the Dempster so I stopped and talked to one of the crew. I told him I was going to Tuk and ask if the fires would effect me and he said what's going on here, where we were, wouldn't effect anything further up the road. Point being it can change pretty quick.

There's a few good ride reports out there if you haven't found them yet. Rollin's is great and Dynobob wrote up a great one, all his are, which really documents what it can be like if the weather goes south.

Still a great ride though. I wana go back when I dont have a job to get back to and slow it down some.
    Chkrdvanz likes this.
  6. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    August is still a ways away, hopefully whats going on now will have moderated by then.. 3 of us went up there a couple years ago on some old 640s and had a great trip along with a couple mechanical challenges... Your choice of the 790 is probably as close to the perfect platform as you can get for that ride, decent highway legs while doing well on the dirt.. The 640s ripped on the Dempster easily going over the ground that the big bike crowd found challenging.. We did see some big bike wrecks coming out on the back of the freight movers, didn't hear how the riders fared.. It is a funny road and can catch anyone off guard, especially when you get a rapid transition from fast hard pack to loose gravel.. It pays to scan ahead and slow for the wet spots which can indicate that the roadbed has had a recent thaw making it into a quagmire trap... This was our trip report: https://advrider.com/f/threads/20-days-to-play-heading-north-to-the-arctic.1335007/
    knight, djroszina and Chkrdvanz like this.
  7. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Skeeters in Michigan are wimps compared to the ones up North... take with you 100% Deet...

Might check but I believe the Dempster Highway is closed that time of the year due to break-up
    8lives and Chkrdvanz like this.
  8. Chkrdvanz

Chkrdvanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  9. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    the travel part was for the person planning a car trip in May...
    8lives likes this.
  10. rick.r.calvert

rick.r.calvert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your timing sounds pretty good to miss the majority of the bugs in the north. Spent 3 years in Inuvik and Tuk. Not nearly as isolated as you would think. Very good hospital in inuvik. Great place for a walk not far from the black hills is devils tower. You can stop at any bank in Canada and exchange at a reasonable exchange rate. Us CDN bucks or cards. Way simpler than worrying about exchange all the time. This isn’t Mexico. Our dollar works good. It is also far easier to use a debit card in Canada than the US. Don’t forget to wave as you go thru Grande Prairie. We live just outside. You would need years to stop and see everything along the road you are travelling. Riding a bike that far you will definitely want to stop for a dip in the Liard hot springs. About 1/2 way between fort Nelson and Watson Lake. Dress warm. You can get a little snow on the dempster in august. Nothing serious though. Have a great trip.
    thirsty 1 and Chkrdvanz like this.
  11. 'Bob'

'Bob' Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm watching your planning thread and wish you well. You'll know when the time is right to go. I'm interested to see if you're riding the 790 S or the R and how you set that up etc.

A riding buddy and I made it to Tuktoyaktuk in June 2019. The weather was just above freezing with sleet coming in off the Arctic Ocean when we got there. This was my buddy's third attempt and my second attempt at the Dempster.
    A few pics here: https://bobinkpen.smugmug.com/Alaska-2019/

As you'll see, there's lots of good info on this forum about riding to Tuktoyaktuk. Feel free to PM me if have any questions about our ride.

Also, we all know Nurses will be front line in the Covid19 pandemic, so thank you and other first responders here in advance for your commitment and professionalism.
    Rollin' and Chkrdvanz like this.
  12. Chkrdvanz

Chkrdvanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really appreciate the advise. The hot springs were definitely on the list already. I'll be bringing my heated jacked and gloves. I live in Texas and 50 degrees Fahrenheit is cold to us.
  13. Chkrdvanz

Chkrdvanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great pictures! I hope I can make some of my own this summer. I also hope we make it on the first try since it's 4000 miles from my home.
    I'm riding my 790R and I've only had it a short time, so I'm still working on set up, but so far it's amazing.
    We haven't been hit as hard here in Texas as some other places. I'm hoping that continues, but I fear it's the calm before the storm.
    8lives likes this.
  14. Chkrdvanz

Chkrdvanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will it be possible to see the Aurora borealis that time of year?
  15. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    No not June and July. It doesn't get very dark
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  16. Chkrdvanz

Chkrdvanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I should be there by August 7th or 8th.
  17. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well that's still a bit early. I have seen them at the end of August but that is fall weather the further north you go in the Yukon.
  18. Chkrdvanz

Chkrdvanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought, thanks!
  19. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was a fire look out in Northern Alberta for many years and yes you can see the Aurora usually around 2 or 3 in the morning. I got out of bed many times and climbed the tower for a better view!
  20. Chkrdvanz

Chkrdvanz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like I'll be setting an early alarm.
    Cal likes this.