Tuneboy for 990?

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by cyborg, Apr 5, 2008.

1. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    I've read a lot of chatter on OC about Tuneboy, but I have not heard of anyone actually getting a Tuneboy to work on a U.S. 990 Adventure. Tahoeacr bought a Tuneboy package with a few key licenses and we've both been trying to get it communicating with our 2007 990S Adventure bikes and had ZERO luck. We've used different laptops and followed all the directions Wayne sent, and running all the latest Tuneboy drivers and apps. Zero luck, can't even ID the ECU on either bike.

After a few email exchanges with Wayne at Tuneboy he just gave us back some more config settings, which didn't help. We emailed back the screen shots and log files and it's been dead air since (couple weeks now) even with a few pings. I work in the techie biz, so setting up drivers on the laptop and such isn't really rocket science, but Wayne has his USB->OBDII chip locked up with license codes, which is reasonable, to get paid for his work --- but his system gives no way to verify if the cable is working correctly before plugging into the bike. Problem is maybe the U.S. models have some quirk Tuneboy doesn't know about and we aren't getting responsive tech support from Wayne, not even "I'm looking into it". Rather disappointing and frustrating to date.:baldy

We REALLY want to think good thoughts and get Tuneboy working. Any tuner gurus made this thing work yet? Thanks. :ear
  2. abruzzi

abruzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know Tuneboy has a very positive reputation in the Triumph world--Its odd that simple communications to the ecu is not even happening. That makes me suspect the the US ecu is talking a little differently, either due to different hardware, or more likely different software, And Tuneboy just doesn't understand it. They should be able to write a little program to log all output from the ECU, for debugging.

Geof
  3. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Hey Geof, yes they've gotten Tuneboy to work with Triumphs, lots of sportbikes and the KTM SuperDuke 990's. We've hit the SD forums over at http://www.superduke.net but it's been no real help because, their Tuneboy talks to the ECU's, ours don't. We've tried hard to read all the info we can find and try all kinds of timing and com settings in the software. Without more troubleshooting tools, it's hard to figure out what's going on, especially without Waynes help. It's almost been more trouble than it's worth, but the engineer in me is curious and wants to get it working.

I personally don't want to use the PCIII since it's a patch add-on and doesn't control all the native ECU map functions. We'll keep after this Tuneboy thing for now. Any help is much appreciated.
  4. grinder96

grinder96 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems weird they would have a map for the US 990 and not have tested it to see if it works. last tune inthe 990 section....

http://www.tuneboy.com.au/TuneDownloads/Tunes.html#KTM

Sorry I have to ask but what laptops are you running? the site states...
    "Some GateWay brand PC's and Compaq Laptops will require the KeySpan USB-Serial adapter because the built in serial port does not support all serial baud rates. "

Just a thought?

Good luck and keep us updated!!
  5. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Thanks, and yes been using the very latest tune from the Tuneboy website, US version (plus tried all the others too).

As for laptops, turns out we are both using fairly new Dell laptops. Mine a borrowed Dell Latitude D800 , and I'm not sure exactly what model Tahoeacr's is, Inspiron maybe?

May have to try another type of laptop. The cable supplied by Tuneboy is a USB cable, which the software driver is supposed to route the COM port through if I understand it correctly. I'll look into the KeySpan USB-Serial adapter.
  6. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Checked out the KeySpan USB-Serial adapter . That won't help, because the supplied Tuneboy cable is a USB based cable.
  7. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've tried a Dell inspirion, Toshiba satellite pro, HP, and I even dragged my pc to the garage.
  8. Sheep Shagger

Sheep Shagger Show me your fleece

Oddometer:
    I have use the software on Triumph's and it works a treat. But back in the early days when Wayne was developing this I tried to push him into using something other than VB for development since personally I think VB is rubbish, but that's what he used. Not really an issue though.
    Then again, I havn't looked at the KTM software, so it might have changed a lot sicne the verion I use on my Triumph's, maybe he doesn't use VB anymore.

Waynes development and idea is great, and far superior to Tuneboy, but because he uses VB it's a pain to get connections sometimes. Have you asked if he has a true serial cable for the KTM, (he does for the Triumph). Serial works far better than USB with Visual Basic.
    Obviously you need an old laptop that has a serial port, or drag a desktop into the garage. Using a USB to serial adapter or serial to USB is pointless in what you are trying to acheive.

In answer to the question "not tested a US downloaded", the software maps are taken directly from the ECU, so if there is a US Map available someone must have had this working with a US ECU.
  9. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info SS. If I understand correctly the Tuneboy software itself is generic and can be freely downloaded from Tuneboy's website, same software for all bikes/brands, only the tune maps differ. http://www.tuneboy.com.au/Support/Download.html

The cable itself is an active device with a OBDII chip inline to provide the gateway from USB to OBDII the ECU talks.

The connection issue because of what software Wayne compiles in, that may be something, but again, Wayne supplied Tahoeacr with a USB cable only and so must have had some reason to think it would work. :huh

We would sure like to know who, that's why this thread was started.
  10. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll send Wayne an e-mail and see about the other cable.
  11. marbs34

marbs34 Tryin' sumo from ST

Oddometer:
    what windows are you using?

I used teach a computer based electronics course which we had a take home cd for, and thumb drives to track students work while at home.

anyways when vista came out it wouldn't let the software communicate with the thumb drives in the usb slots.

The fix for this was to go into properties for the program, and tell vista to run the program in windows xp mode, and click the check box for "run program as administrator"

this allowed communication to and from the usb with the software.

I hope this helps even in the slightest.
  12. Sheep Shagger

Oddometer:
    The serial cable I have, is not active at all. Just a connection from serial port to ECU port. Also, the software is registered against the ECU serial#.

Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by Sheep Shagger
    Waynes development and idea is great, and far superior to Tuneboy [??], but because he uses VB it's a pain to get connections sometimes. Have you asked if he has a true serial cable for the KTM, (he does for the Triumph). Serial works far better than USB with Visual Basic.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    Sorry, I ment Power Commander, not Tuneboy in that statment.

What I was trying to say is VB is crap it interfaces, it does serial ok but it's useless at USB. Most laptop's only have a USB port these days, so that's probably why Wayne sent that cable. Might be an idea to ask if he can send you a serial one, since you're not getting any joy with the USB.
  13. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm all XP.
  14. cyborg

Oddometer:
    I'm running XP too. There's some flashing of the LED on the cable, but it always returns the error that the tune is not compatible with the ECU.

[​IMG]

I also just found an email from Wayne from a few days ago, Outlook routed to spam. Wayne asked for my laptop type and OS, and I just sent him the info, and asked if a serial cable would be better.
  15. Sheep Shagger

Oddometer:
    That's normal, my dealer hasn't managed to get passed this step with the KTM software. He get's exactly the same error message.:eek1

But on the good side, at least you have a connection to the ECU, which is more than cyborg & tahoeacr.

Have you tried downloading the ECU tune to the computer, then uploading the exact same tune back to the ECU? At least that should tell you if it's the the tune binary file you are trying to use, of something about the way tuneboy is sending the tune to the ECU.
  16. boyd32450

boyd32450 Dirt Newbie

Oddometer:
    Do you know if you have access to a friends super duke or another 990? You might try and see if its a connection issue or an issue with the ECU itself.
  17. Gravel Traveler

Gravel Traveler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my 990 was mapped with tuneboy. Done at Cycle Improvements in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. It is a US chassis. The guy who did the work was James Hunt. It runs spot on with Akra cans, no popping on decel, no abruptness to the throttle response. Adam.
  18. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I will call him. How's your mpg afterwards?
  19. cyborg

Oddometer:
    We've tried it on two '07 990S bikes so far. We'll see what Tahoeacr's call to Ontario brings...
  20. Gravel Traveler

Gravel Traveler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked it up with 4 km on Sunday. It has 8 on it now. It is REALLY good on fuel, so far it has hardly used any!!