Tuneboy for 990?

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by cyborg, Apr 5, 2008.

1. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    G'Day mate

I have fitted them to my 04 950 also.

I run a wideband (Canberra ACT) and had my FCR's tuned to perfection. (15km per Lt City riding) http://wbo2.com/

The new cams require some small changes to the jetting. A full one clip Needle lift and some minor idle circuit work.

[​IMG][/IMG]
  2. carmima

carmima All Orange :-)

Oddometer:
    Thanks K2m...that's interesting.

Mine is injected so a little different.

I've been sending Wayne at Tuneboy emails for the last week and had no response at all - a little disappointing!!
  3. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    Fuel injection is my speciality..... Carburetors are 10 times harder to tune than a software package.

Excuse me for being so blunt, but if you wish to tune an engine you had better start learning something about them. For a start there is no difference between our two engines except maybe how you control the fuel delivery, and maybe some 2D verses 3D ignition timing. People who sell products like tuneboy can sense a nu-bee and can predictably expect to spend a lot of time on the phone doing a guide dog impersonation. No doubt when he is not as busy he will get around to answering your email.

That information I gave you on adding SD cams is priceless......... if only you new how to interpret it.
  4. SteveP1001

SteveP1001 n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow I am impressed. Given the fact that he has neither a carbed bike, nor SD cams, how is this information priceless?
  5. carmima

carmima All Orange :-)

Oddometer:
    Not sure you have a grasp on the right tool there old mate...I wouldn't consider myself a new comer to bikes, engines, carbs or FI and have been using PowerCommanders and Tuneboys on many of my bikes for many years.

But thanks for your not so helpful insight :thumb
  6. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical

Oddometer:
    :oscar Seriously though, I have been subscribed to this thread for a long time....I'll say this, a steady throttle hand will get you better MPG's...I have learned that the 'fun' factor of these bikes is directly related to fuel consumption :ricky having said that, I added the AUX tank from Neduro and all is well with my rides :D
  7. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    Some people play with things...... Some people understand what they are playing with......... There's a lot to learn..... Get cracking
  8. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    Finally got my new 09 990 home and am thrilled with 98% of the machine. I have not been on the bike long enough to pinpoint all its problems, maybe, but my first highway cruise showed up the hunting/surging (several times a second) at around 3800-4000rpm when not under load. Irritating, and I will first be following this up with the dealer for resolution before anything else (why should I spend any extra money to fix a new bike under warranty?). I have been told that KTM will deny there is a problem, but I must follow this route I believe.
    Looking to the future and my probable unsuccessful attempts, as well as fitting pipes and getting the best tune for these, I contacted Wayne at Tuneboy again with some more questions. Once again, he responded within hours (I am a relative nooby asking him dumb questions and that did not seem to delay his response as others have suggested) and he reiterated that Tuneboy has the capability to resolve these issues, that he doesnt know of any current issues with making it talk to the Keihin ECU's and that the O2 sensors have to go (via a Tuneboy mod) to make it all work properly. There is a separate routine in the latest version that allows the secondary butterflies to be held open if desired, so they don't have to be removed.
  9. riderbob

riderbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you tried the XC-1 diagnostic box? It suppose work on 09 bikes and after. I assume they have them in the US?

Mind is a 08 bike so it doesn't work for me.

10. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    I read a little about these online - from the website, any authorized KTM service center anywhere in the world is supposed to have one. My dealer's mechanic told me they cannot do any more than load the standard or Akrapovic map and do a system reset, although they are supposed to have the highest level of training that KTM provides.

From the website it sounds like the XC-1 can do more than just that...and also that the software can run on a laptop to do the same job. What is your experience with or knowledge of the XC-1?
  11. riderbob

riderbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No experience at all I'm afraid. Apparently you can adjust the fuelling. That was I told by the KTM Centre in the UK.

12. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    Yes, but if you could understand what you read, you would have noticed that I was suggesting that he was to busy at that time to deal with a nu-bee, and the complex relationship that follows. It's always about timing. They are running a business.

What is wrong with taking the time to learn something about tuning? Research the subject. Instead of waiting to be spoon fed the basics :1drink
  13. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Sorry,
    Your meaning is more clear now - I was trying to do my best impression of being self-deprecating while sticking up for Wayne at TB. There have been a lot of posts calling his customer service into question. Most of this I am sure has been due to spam filtering and he has replied every time within a few hours to every email I have sent. It appears he has an excellent product and backs it up well, and as an ex-pat Oz I love to see him do well and not be misrepresented on this forum.
    As you say, it is a difficult thing for someone trying to make best use of his time to deal with those that may become loyal customers and those that are tire kickers and time wasters. It would be understandable for anyone in business to do triage on callers and emailers when his time is in short supply.
  14. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    ...if you are referring to me wasting Wayne's time by asking him basic tuning questions, that was not the case. I have worked on digital and analog control systems for the last 20 years and know my way around carbs, FI and ignition systems fairly well...the two big mysteries for me are the inner workings of KTM brains and female brains...KTM's I hope to understand one day:lol3
  15. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    The XC-1 comment got me interested...

Interesting link re KTM diagnostics

http://www.avlditest.com/?id=125&L=1#sgkommunikation

and more:

"Originally Posted by KTMax from http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthrea...x-software-for-EFI-models&p=412827#post412827

This weekend I had the opportunity to play with the new diagnose box and software from KTM for all EFI models, the XC-1. It has just been made available for dealers who ordered it (and it doesn't come cheap). This is the only kit that works with the RC8 R too, can test ABS systems etc.

The XC-1 is a MASSIVE improvement over the previous box & software. The software has gone through about a decade of improvement. Faster, easier to use and has much more functions. Resetting the ECUs, error coding, running testcycles, flashing new fuelmaps, is only a few mouse-clicks. But THE big improvement is that, for the first time, it allows a dealer to adjust... yes, adjust the fueling of a bike witin a certain bandwith. The XC-1 kit allows the dealer to change the CO targets of the ECU for the idle and load mixture. Ideally you need a dyno to adjust CO target under load properly. By changing the CO target the ECU adjusts the pulse-with of the injector(s) - the amount of fuel - and thus the mixture. The software displays the changing values real time on the screen with the engine running in red-green-blue bar graphs on the screen. Neat.

This is NOT like a PowerCommander or Tuneboy that can change the entire fueling by modifying ECU targets or fuelmap itself (TB) or the sensor data going to ECU (PC). I think it makes sense that KTM doesn't give 'full user control' over the fueling for safety, warranty and legal reasons. So is this a big deal then? Yes, I think it is as we found out.

The XC-1 unit gives a dealer enough control to iron out EFI glitches. It's not intended as a tool for performance tuning. We did some tests and adjustments on my mates' 690 SM P and my 690 SMR. His bike has always been a bit jerky on the throttle in transition from idle to throttle and on small throttle openings (traffic crawling). After the flow job and fitment of the Duke/SMC cam my SMR had started to stall sometimes and idled on the low side. We re-adjusted the throttle sensors and CO targets for the idle mixture on our bikes with the XC-1 kit. His bike a little lower on CO, my bike a little higher. Solved. Both bikes run like a peach now. The jerkyness on his bike is completely gone and mine idles rock-steady on 1600 RPM and doesn't want to stall, not even if provoked.

This post is only intended to reflect some first user experiences with the XC-1 kit. We didn't try every single function yet and I'm not an expert either. But it might be a heads up for those who suffer from EFI glitches that there could be a solution around the corner.

This is how it looks:

[​IMG]

External box marked KTM Diagnostic looks like the ELTRAC/IVECO unit, and article seems to indicate the Tuneboy has a lot more adjustment features.
  16. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Some info from the XC-1 manufacturer

From http://www.avlditest.com/?id=139&L=1

AVL DiTEST supplies KTM SPORTMOTORCYCLE AG, the world's second largest motorcycle manufacturer with customized vehicle diagnostic systems. In 2008 and 2009, all 1.500 authorised service centers of the KTM and Husaberg companies are being supplied with the new testing systems.

KTM has reached an international annual output of 85.000 motorcycles. Therefore it is extremely important to supply a longterm diagnostic solution as a guarantee for the best possible investment protection to all 1.500 worldwide authorized service centers.

For the time being the KTM diagnostic tool requirements are limited to ECU communication testing for motorcycles, annual software updates are supposed to be performed by the AVL DiTEST diagnostic systems. The development is mutually driven by KTM and AVL DiTEST.

So, the question is...do some US dealers have these, and if they can fine tune the FI why are they not doing it? What am I missing here?
  17. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would imagine there are a few reasons. Cost. I have heard it is $1,800-2,000. What dealer wants to spend that when it is hard to keep there head above water right now. Plus, the one it is replacing isn't known for working very well. Would you want to take a chance on something that might not work well? Give them some time and the bigger dealers will probably start getting them once they have talked to other dealers and found it works.
  18. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    I wasn't referring to you. :D Brother Ozzy. I have another life in Tehran !!! of all places:lol3 and it's got nothing to do with religion..... more snow and mountains

It was more a comment on what I had said earlier as I had been attacked by a few others who missed the point that if I didn't like "carmima" I would not talk to him.......... a sort of cruel to be kind ...... if you know what I mean :freaky

Tehran ......... Sorry boys I am straying of topic........

[​IMG][/IMG]
  19. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought if a dealer sold RC8s they had to have the tool... so, there must be a few around.

And cost... who pays for the time, the customer or KTM.