Tuneboy for 990?

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by cyborg, Apr 5, 2008.

1. dsherod

dsherod El Siocho

Oddometer:
    I'm willing to get in on this experiment. I have an 08 990A with Leo's, 1600 miles, the Akra map, and a laptop with XP.

What else do I need to be able to contribute?
  2. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    So, latest update, zero response from Wayne after a half dozen emails from 2 of us to him. I guess he doesn't value customers very much, especially in the early days of the 990. You'd think he would want to get it working.

I spoke to the tuner guy in Canada and he said the Tuneboy was fine on Aprilia but a major pain to get working on the KTM Adv bikes and it took them endless reboots and many, many back and forths with Tuneboy. The one guy I talked with (Chris IIRC) didn't seem too inclined to share what they had worked so hard to get working. Frustrating.:pissed
  3. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    Could be the USA models require a different password to unlock the ECU.
  4. volsk

volsk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Okay I am nerd that works in IT so this article leapt out at me. Connect to my bike by serial you say :D Quick read of the setup process shows you maybe able to test the cable / driver setup really easy. The output might be gibberish but it would rule out laptop and cable issue. Hyper terminal is a basic windows app that communicate via a serial port.

Hyper terminal can be found Start-->All Programs-->Accessories-->Communications

If you haven't got it there you need to install it from windows CD. Google it.

Go read http://www.tuneboy.com.au/Tutorials/SetupTutorial.html about half down it talks about comm ports and baud rates. Open hyperterminal and use those settings to try to connect.

Dunno if that helps at all but we configure alot of devices at work via serial and hyperterminal is a good test of basic comms.

Regards
    Matt
  5. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    I've been watchin' this thread as I thought Tuneboy was gonna be the biz for tuning the EFI....not looking good, there is always this gem on fleabay
    :rofl

[​IMG]
  6. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Good suggestion CP. I will pass that along to Wayne. I just got an email from him with some new stuff to try this evening. He said he had been in a bike crash :eek1 and was out of commission for awhile, and that's a very good reason for not getting back, and sorry to hear of the crash.
  7. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Thanks Matt. I'll check that out. I am familiar with Hyperterminal and comm apps in general. I'm old enough to have used modems for online (CIS at 300baud-dawn of time) and serial with industrial instrument communications and even was a (gasp) BBS sysop at 9600baud. You'd have to be old enough to know what a BBS is...:lol3
  8. volsk

volsk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes for sure :). I work for an ISP and my first job was on a helpdesk helping people connect to the Internet with their 14.4k modems :eek1. Ah good times.

Good luck. I think the Application looks good if you can get it working.

Matt
  9. dsherod

dsherod El Siocho

Oddometer:
    So who here remembers baudot code?:eek1
  10. minusone

minusone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or storing data on paper tape?
  11. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Just ran some new code Wayne sent me that he instrumented with some debugger code, and sent him the special log files it generated, so he's on the case. :thumb

4" of snow on the lawn outside, Spring? :huh
    but the roads are clear, so I can still ride!
  12. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    or assembly language :eek1
  13. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Uh, oh, it's how old can you go time :lol3 "uphill both ways, in the snow, with no shoes" :lol3

Let's see, I first started proramming in hex to micros, then graduated to Fortran on punchcards, yeah, yeah, late 70's... not the oldest here, not the youngest...
  14. dsherod

dsherod El Siocho

Oddometer:
    I started with machine language and program entry was on the front panel switches of a General Automation Spec 16. My masterpiece was the Spec 16 playing Beethoven's 5th :clap
  15. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    well then... .there should be enought collective hacking skills here to RE the USDM Keihin ECU.

now if I could just get my hands on a ECU to start "talking" to it....
  16. cyborg

Oddometer:
    I ride mine every day for commute, otherwise you could play with my ECU. All you need to find is someone who's got a parked 990 :huh

Anyhoo, running a few more tests tomorrow Wayne asked me to try and see where it goes.
  17. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmmm.......:lurk
  18. highlandcycles

highlandcycles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New to the thread here and I have nothing to add about computers but I am wondering if anybody knows anybody in Colorado that has this figured out yet. I have an 08 990 ADV S and would love to get better gas mileage. I am running stock cans because I think the thing is fast enough as it is but fuel mileage would be great. Thanks

Morgan

PS, if it were easier to jet these things I would put carbs on my bike, I just love little brass jets
  19. cyborg

Oddometer:
    So far we haven't heard of anybody in the USA who has the TuneBoy working on a 990 Adv.

Some folks really are getting 50mpg and most of us are getting 35mpg. Same engine and electronics, so something is seriously wrong here. I still have a pure conjecture bet that it's bad sensors and the ECU defaults to a rich map, but without any data of what maps are on it and what changes, there's nothing to troubleshoot with. I can't really afford any dyno time for this project right now, but I wanted to help at least get it communicating and Tahoeacr would take it from there and we could get some good maps to try and share what we discover.

There's some good tuners on this thread too like Head2Wind and others, so eventually we should get something working :thumb
  20. highlandcycles

highlandcycles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in Montrose Colorado and when I first purchased my 990 it was getting about 40 mpg. After I started it and let it idle for 20 min without touching the throttle I have been getting 45 and above. It also seems to not have as much twitchyness (not a real word for sure) on the bottom end. I think if I took it easy on the throttle I would see at least 50 mpg. I am a motorcycle mechanic and I tune carbs all of the time but fuel injection is new to me. If you haven't tried the idle thing, I would. It is free (minus the gas you burn) and easy. My 2 cents