TuneECU for 990 - got tunes?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jetpoweredmonkey, Oct 31, 2010.

1. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    32E97FFD-B36A-48CA-B7CD-B6E239D61E51.jpeg This is the only one I know of, from the TuneEcu site, if you have a Rotty style intake.
    Rottweiler used to have a free download of a map on their site designed to work with the Rotty intake - I cannot remember if it was for 2-1, but I tried it and it was ok, but not as smooth as the Powertripp map.
    No borrowed map will work perfectly on another bike, so YMMV, but I have been running the PT map with O2 sensors turned off for some time with no real need to change.

Spyrious likes this.
  2. Spyrious

Spyrious Want to go offroad

Oddometer:
    Thanks.No rotty intake just a unifilter.
  3. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im using the standard 2009 Akra map with my 2-1 Akra and its working fantastically.
    I spent a lot of time on my 11R getting the maps to work well but when I used it with my 2-1 on my 2009 it just didnt work well.
    I used the 2009 Akra map and it works great with 2-1 and just a Uni pre filter, I was quite surprised.

I tried the Powertrip but that just wasnt any good at all.

I have yet to play around with it but its working so well theres no urgency to do anything atm.
    Spyrious likes this.
  4. Spyrious

Spyrious Want to go offroad

Oddometer:
    I will use it on a mass 2-1 system. Propably going to dyno tune it.
  5. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Allrpm

Allrpm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok so I got the Tune ECU cable from Rottweiler. I go to the Tune ECU site and see .hex files that my computer will not open (it tries using Adobe, Bluebeam etc.). Has anyone laid out the procedures for doing this? Or is it a plug the cable into the bike / computer and magic happens? I have a 2013 Baja 2-1 Yosh, intake, de smoged stage 2 ,SAS, no power commander and do not see a tune for that year. Rottweiler sent me a link to their tune and I cannot open it. What do I need and what have you guys found to be the best system, not the best map because that is another 200 pages!?

Sorry this may have been discussed before, after reading a pile of pages and realizing there are 206 pages I figure an update may be around?

Thanks in advance,

Allrpm
  7. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to download and install the TuneECU software and appropriate drivers.
  8. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Much reading is needed or you won't have a chance. Skim posts to get an idea of the various topics.
    JoeMongo likes this.
  9. JoeMongo

JoeMongo ¿Por dónde? Supporter

Oddometer:
    SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
    I agree with Master Mike.

If you're going to be reprogramming the fuel injection maps on your bike, you need to KNOW what you are doing. If you don't have time to read/skim the entire thread, don't bother to download the software. You'll probably just destroy your motor.
    j.
  10. Norton guy

Norton guy Serial bike owner

Oddometer:
    Yeah what he said...
    You do need the cable / adapter to actually change the maps, with bluetooth you can only look at stuff.
    It's more complicated than it looks; not hard just nerdy and the hookup has to be done in the right sequence.
  11. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Don’t let them scare you off. Just because you are expecting plug and play doesn’t mean you can’t figure out a software/hardware interface that is 10-15 years behind the times.

I have read this thread from the beginning and have a lot of respect for many of the contributors and their ideas, but for someone just looking to load a couple of pre-made maps to try them out, all the info you need is on the TuneEcu site. I don’t feel that you need to read 200 pages of this stuff, just follow the TuneEcu steps methodically. Methodically!
    Now if you want to experiment with and edit tunes yourself, that’s a whole different story and unless you enjoy that sort of process for its own sake (tinkering) I suggest you save up the money for a reputable dyno tuner.
    rsuarez and ErGuss like this.
  12. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not trying to scare anyone off. But at the same time you better have some familiarity with unplugging battery, different baud rates, when you are reading and when you are writing rather than just "I got a cable tell me each step, ok now it did this what do I do next".

Skim this thread and pick up highlights, read tunecu, go 4 it.

Never said anything to frighten only take the time to stop educate ahead of time rather than in the middle of the process.
  13. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    And theres always that possibility of bricking the ECU, just saying :lol3
    Dusty and Themastermike like this.
  14. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    They only cost 500 bucks or so...
    1coolbanana likes this.
  15. gtdsrider

gtdsrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would second rider911's comments on checking the TPS sensor early on. I have owned three 990's and one of them developed a intermittent faullty TPS at about 37k miles. It affected throttle response and idle speeds on occasions and the problems grew more frequent over time. I had already replaced fuel filters, cleaned throttle bodies, tightened throttle cables , replaced coil packs, spark plugs, etc. The TPS was inexpensive and easy to replace and the bike ran great afterwards.
    I also have a Tune ECU cable from my 2008 990 adv if anyone needs one. It will not work on my 2012 990R as KTM locked us out of the bike unless you have the dealers laptop,
  16. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you sure?
    It must be country specific lock out because Ive done numerous 2012's.
  17. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    NONE of the 990's are locked out. I've flashed them up to 2013.

The 1190 series and on is a no-go.
    ErGuss and 1coolbanana like this.
  18. Steinarsv

Steinarsv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, roadtuning a beast like this is not the simplest task.. None of the mapps i have tried is giving me what i want, and i now want to connect MAP and RPM signals to my Innovate LM-2 since i dont want to spend the whole summer trying to figure out where in the tables to adjust on the ride, and my computer has sucky battery life, and screen recording of both AFR, RPM, TPS and so on seems to be a pain in te butt...

Anyone got the good answares? :drif
  19. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Long extension cord?
    Run an inverter off your bikes charging system to plug your laptop in.
    Dynotune.
  20. Steinarsv

Steinarsv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When i have a device that can record all these...?

No....?