TuneECU for 990 - got tunes?

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by jetpoweredmonkey, Oct 31, 2010.

1. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    If you mean “why would I pay for a dynotune when I have an LM-2” I would mostly agree. I couldn’t justify the outlay for either when my 990 runs very well with a borrowed tune. Where I don’t agree is in that I don’t have the time to do all the testing and modifications and testing that you must have ( and I’m jealous - that would be fun)
    The Dynotune and long extension cord were meant to be jokes, but the inverter wasn’t. If your laptop battery is bad buy a new one or power it off the bike and take it with.
    Also the TuneEcu Lite version that runs on an Android device has some Tune functionality- I just can’t remember how much, and have never used it.
  2. Steinarsv

Steinarsv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just want it to be a smooth ride, not looking for the gained power.. the dyno trip is not so easy to get done here and now, and i like to play around with the machine and gain knowledge to how they behave when poking it with different size sticks in different areas :dhorse

went ahead and bougth the full app, found a ELM327 MINI laying in a box in the basement, and no, no bueno.. need to find a device that works with the program...
    maybe faulty device, or it does not like the mini versio..:kboom
  3. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Your answers are probably within these hundreds of pages but I’m sure others with more knowledge than me will chime in here if you have specific questions. It seems like you have the main ingredient to succeed with the chosen route...persistence.
    A good start would be to list what year bike you have, what are your issues and what mods if any you have tried - then someone could recommend a good basemap to start with. For instance, I have a 2009 990 with throttle tamer, open 2-1 and Rottweiler intake. My original issues before and during modifications were off-idle smoothness and hunting behavior at around 4000 rpm. I have the Powertripp 2-1 map after trying several others and have now disabled the O2’s and lowered the gearing. I have never had the time or money to go the dynotune or Datalogger route but I have arrived at a map implementation that is smooth enough for technical trails and gets good cruising, and power with fuel economy only limited by my right hand.
    Note - I researched map edits a lot and envy anyone who has the time to tinker but for me it wasn’t needed.
    Quite a few people here have gone the LM-2 route...seems I remember Cyborg as being one, if he is still active.
    If I remember correctly you can load different maps with the Lite software via Android but you can’t do edits (do your own research here) but if you really want to make changes it’s a lot cooler looking to pull out a laptop mid-ride and plug it in anyway!
    ErGuss likes this.
  4. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    By the way, don’t forget the basics of checking throttle balance and setting your TPS if you haven’t done it. Many people swear by using vacuum gauges instead of trusting what TuneEcu reports for vacuum pressures. I tried both and the digital readings work for me.
    Correct valve adjustment makes a difference and the 15 minute idle trick after modifications does work for me, despite what others have said about it being witch craft
    Dirtcar5, ErGuss and Norton guy like this.
  5. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are no easy answers.
    Your going to have to give us more info for us to help... What year is your bike an mods, what are you trying to fix with the map, what map are you running or have tried.
    Tapping into your wiring can be done several ways, find the sensor tap in there or tap into the wire harness by the ECU.
    People that tuned with the LM2 was active back in 2014.
    I will help as much as i can remember, haven't had mine hooked up since 2015-16

[​IMG]
    RoundOz likes this.
  6. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bluetooth can be ify i wont trust it to do map work, hard wire for me... both of my 327 mini's work... just checked them it took a bit.

Looks like my TPS is off a bit from last i checked.
    edit: TPS is where i set it years ago.

[​IMG]
    RoundOz likes this.
  7. Steinarsv

Steinarsv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, maybe i rushed things a bit here..

The bike is a 11 ADV R, 23000km, now with ITG filter, no sas, o2 disabled, no canisters, leo cans with db killers.

The bike works well, have good AFR readings under load. 12.8-13.5, a bit rich in some areas, but that is what i want the tps, map and rpm logging for.

It now runs a combination of some self adjusted L tables based on acra, acra F tables, powertrip ignition map, zuber3 butterfly map, F-L is mostly 10%-15% from zuber3 i think.

basicly what i want the map,tps and rpm values for, is to know where in the tables to do the changes. in example, i have no idea what manifold pressure my engine holds when i cruise with allmost no throttle at 3000rpm, or full engine brake and so on.

Issue is the bike is a bit snappy, and to rich in the lower sections.

Tried the custom map for the 11 model on tuneecu, too rich and snappy
    tried with and without 2nd butterflies, and believes they can smooth out the transitions
    tried stealing some parts from zuber, powertrip, acra maps and so on.

Dont have a wire diagram for my bike, so if anyone have one, please hit me up :D
  8. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Yeah I think you could have provided more info or more delineated questions - I feel I spent a lot of time preaching to an archbishop. Not to worry, my typing thumb was getting a bit too rounded on the end anyway, so thanks for that.
    bobone and ErGuss like this.
  9. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    And yes I have a wiring diagram, thanks.

All your answers are available in this thread, or at least the people to ask will become apparent if you do some keyword searching.
  10. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Sorry, Stein, having a bad day. Supposed to be at a KTM ride day and am (again) working on a f¥<£ing house!

If I get a chance I’ll dig out a schematic and send it.

All the best with your mods and do us the favor of letting us know what you did and how it works.
    Steinarsv likes this.
  11. Steinarsv

Steinarsv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha, thanks :jack

Searching for specific technical info thats not to widely known of for the regular man, in a 207 long forum thread is pain in the ass.. I am a lazy shitface that hate spending hours in and out of every conversation including the words rpm, map, sensor, signal and so on, so hey, why dunt just ask where to hook this thing up :jack

Had a atempt at orange cable from a coil to pick up rpm signal, but no bueno.. Have not tried the other yet..
    Edit: Found the wirediagram... ORANGE IS POWER :doh
  12. Steinarsv

Steinarsv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My device is probably toast then.. What signals are you running on hardwire here? Would love it if youwould share what and where
  13. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Search this thread for all posts by Tahoeacr and Cyborg. I didn’t do a bunch of reading of their posts but I seem to remember they both had some experience with dataloggers. There are probably others
  14. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good info. Looks like you have a handle on tuneECU. I was logging AFR on both, Throttle position, hPa, RPM, all spliced in near the ECU plug... I think that was it. I looked for my wiring notes and can't find them at the moment.

I could not get Logworks to convert hPa so I used volts but you need the conversion table that procycle posted. I will convert it to a jpg and post it here, its posted in this thread somewhere.

Removing the 2nd flies got rid of the light switch (on/off) effect on my bike, like when rolling off the throttle. Could control the deceleration with the throttle much better.

It's nice to have marks on your grip to the throttle housing to see TP. You can just see mine in that pic.
    I also used the KTMsensors app on my phone velcroed to the tank bag to watch hPa and timing and TP.

hPa-values-(2).jpg
    Dirtcar5 likes this.
  15. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    With a Wide Band, a simple vacuum gauge and throttle position marks will get you close.
    Don't pull the secondary throttles, you can change their position in TuneECU. But, I've found very little change by messing with them.
    For 'snappy' throttle, I've found that leaning out the mix in the lower RPM and light load really helps.
    Turn off the O2 sensors when testing. Only turn them back on when you get the final tune.
    Use my Zuber3 maps ONLY to compare changes needed. These are not compat with an '11 year map, so don't plug-n-play.
    Steinarsv and 1coolbanana like this.
  16. MUskier

MUskier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good morning everyone, thanks in advance for the help.

I have a 2011 990R that I'm having some issues with. About 2 years ago I used TuneECU to load in the Akra map and it ran beautifully for those two years. This winter, I took a lot of the bike apart to do some maintenance, including a valve adjustment. Now that I've reassembled it, of course, it isn't running right. I believe it's running on only one cylinder, or very low power on one cylinder. I can touch the front header without scorching my fingers, where as the rear header is very hot, like normal.

I'm 99% sure I did the valve adjustment correctly, but of course a little doubt creeps in when things aren't running right. My question for you TuneECU experts: I had the battery disconnected for probably close to two months, will that do anything weird to the map and/or ECU?

Additionally, I tried hooking up my computer and connecting to TuneECU but the bike wouldn't connect. I'm pretty sure I did the connection procedure correct, but no luck.

Any other ideas I may not have thought of that would prevent one cylinder from firing correctly?
  17. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not going to be the ecu

Either timing incorrect or something not plugged in correctly or fully.

Some disassembly required......
    ErGuss likes this.
  18. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spark plug coil not pushed down all the way.
    ErGuss likes this.
  19. MUskier

MUskier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input guys. As I mentioned, I'm 99% sure I did the timing correctly, but have that little bit of doubt since it's not running right. My first guess was that I just missed a connection somewhere, but I haven't found anything. In particular, I guessed the coils, but I confirmed those are pushed down and the connection to the wires is solid.

I wonder if it's possible the throttle bodies came out of sync? That would have to be WAY out though. I'm probably getting in to the territory of the wrong thread for these questions.
  20. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Throttle bodies not pushed in all the way. It won't idle, but with run in higher rpms.