TuneECU for 990 - got tunes?

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by jetpoweredmonkey, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Bartron

Bartron 'Tenacious B' the Bike Punisher

Oddometer:
    hey guys, I'm running the Zuber2 map from just a few weeks ago on a 2012 with stock airbox, 2-1 and akra with half-baffle. It runs nice and smooth (Kudos to Zuber and all you innovators) but most of my riding is not wide-open road but rather gravel and some technical stuff. I was wondering if you guys had any advice to reduce the engine compression braking on throttle off. Technical off-road riding takes a very precise throttle hand which gets less precise with increasing fatigue! Would secondary butterfly adjustment make any difference?

Also, any thoughts on using the akra map with stock airbox and 2-1? 1coolbanana is that what you are running?
  2. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    ZUBER9
    I just created a map for the 09-up 990 Adventures with stock airbox, 2nd throttles in place and quiet slip-on mufflers. I think this is a safe map, but all bikes are different. So, test it with care.

I've tested it on two bikes and it runs darn good. One with FMF Q4's, one with Acros and quiet tips. Mileage looks to be about 40 mpg, IF you cruse under 4500 rpm. Very smooth throttle from 2000 rpm -up. If you wack the throttle above 5000 rpm, it has a nice fat hit. This map makes the throttle seem slow, but if you pull it open things happen.

I started with the latest Euro map for Acro mufflers (EUxx2002). This is a rich map and wide open secondaries in the upper rpm's. I suspect this map will give you the 118 hp of the newest R models.
    I then modified it below 5000 rpm to match the stock map (EUxx2001).
    I then modified the Load maps (L1/L2) to be leaner by 6% in the low to mid vacuum range.
    Little to no mods to the ignition curves.
    SAS, EPC and O2 switches are off.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Here's my rules for exchanging maps:
    1. keep the original base file name from ktm and only add text to the beginning.
    1.1 edit the Map Infos in TuneECU to document your changes.
    2. use the .gpx extension which is a simple text file format and will go to the GPS program by default.
    3. be careful when down loading these in the future, don't double click or RUN any file you get, only SAVE it.
    4. change the extension back to .hex using Windows-Rename and open it with TuneECU, still don't double click or RUN it.
    5. In TuneECU, COMPARE the new file with the base file to see any changes and check for wild ass tunes that could screw up your bike. I go through every field to check the differences.
    6. Save it from TuneECU before using it. If some bits get dropped, TuneECU should fix it up.

---------------------------------------------------------
    ZUBER9

Attached Files:

bobone, keener, DeepSea and 1 other person like this.
  3. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    @Zuber if you happen to get bored and are taking requests. :lol3
    I have an 07' with a Single Remus exhaust and a rottweiler intake. I know I'd have more power with the double, but I really like having that side for storage and I also like the ease of working on it without the stock airbox. Plus I'm too lazy to put it back on. :lol3

Here's a picture of the ole girl out in the Black Rock Desert. Sans Burning man "participants" (if that's what you call them). :dunno We had the whole place to ourselves. :super

[​IMG]
    Steve
  4. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't know where to start, open intake, restricted exhaust with a different balance, it would need a wide-band O2 sensor hooked up and about two weeks of testing.

Have you tried my Zuber1 map on the other 07-up TuneECU forum? Page 11.
    ErGuss and DeepSea like this.
  5. Bartron

Bartron 'Tenacious B' the Bike Punisher

Oddometer:
    Great idea! Thanks for continuing to work on all this.
  6. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Not yet. It's going on my list of things to do. :thumb
  7. Errhead

Errhead Low Miles!

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I am hooking up Tune ECU for the first time. 2010 990 has been stalling on deceleration and backfiring more than usual. I bypassed the clutch switch and did a 15 min reset resulting in no perceivable changes. I was going to look at the TPS settings via Tune ECU but I'm not sure where they are. I do seem to have 2 error codes however and wanted to see if that automatically points to some parts that need replacement. Sorry for crappy screenshots. Any help is much appreciated IMG_3255.jpeg IMG_3253.jpeg IMG_3254.jpeg
  8. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Errhead The TPS voltage is the one showing 0.76v in the first picture. The bike must be fully warm and idling to check for the right voltage. The voltage should be very close to 0.600v.

The error about the O2 sensor is for the front cylinder.
    The error for Air Temp Sensor is the one on the top of the air box.
    These could both be from you turning on the ignition while these sensors were disconnected. Clear the errors using TuneECU and I'll bet the errors don't come back.
  9. Errhead

Errhead Low Miles!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Z! I was hoping you would chime in having seen all your informative 990 posts. TPS voltage is .7 at warmed up idle. Is this something I need to adjust? I reset the error codes and have not seen them come back. I don't think I ever had any FI flashing codes. Do you have any advice for my bike symptoms? Bike came to me 5 years ago running what I was told was an R map. Looks like it might actually be the Akra map. I have a stock airbox, canister delete, and Q4 slip-ons. Was considering trying out your zuber9-KM601EU1102002Map.gpx. I went to school with an E. Zuber here in PDX many years ago. I'm reminded of him every time I see your user name.

IMG_3257.jpeg
  10. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should set the TPS, lots of flame-outs and weirdness when it's set that far off.

If that map infos is from your map, it's an early one. Your bike should like #9.
  11. Kaspars_Kasis

Kaspars_Kasis n00b

Oddometer:
    TPS - CAN'T FIND THE CORRECT ANSWER.

Adjusting the TPS: I found two main opinions: Zeegman vs Zuber: https://advrider.com/f/threads/tps-tps-tps.1319392/
    1. Set throttle position to "zero" and then set TPS? What values need to be set? 0.60v? In some russian forum found 0.56v at fully close and bike runs fine. Zeegman set 0.60v at this point.
    2. Set TPS on warm/hot idle? Mostly found 0.60v at this point.

Which is the right way?
  12. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Setting the throttle to zero is only for adjusting the throttle cables. To assure they don't bind the auto-throttle idle.

Set the TPS to the 0.600v, or very close, when the bike it hot and idling. Use a VOM hooked between the yellow and the black wire. Don't use TuneECU, that's too slow of feed back.
    I've written up this procedure many times. It's the same as KTM factory steps.
  13. Errhead

Errhead Low Miles!

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Zuber. I got it set to .59 at warm idle. The back firing seems to be coming from the rear cylinder and there is a little more "soot" buildup on the rear butterfly. I'll take it for a test ride and see if it has improved. IMG_3261.jpeg

Attached Files:

14. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    The rear throttle sometimes looks dirty from the oil mist out of the engine vent. The front is closer, but I think it gets so much oil that it stays clean.

Never over fill the oil.
  15. Errhead

Errhead Low Miles!

Oddometer:
    Took a quick test ride with Zuber's #9 map installed. Definitely seems smoother overall. Did not stall once on deceleration and I don't remember any significant backfires! However, I do still have a surging problem that transcends the new map. Bike will idle smoothly but if I try to hold a specific RPM above 2k or so, the bike suffers from a rhythmic surging -up-down-up-down-up-down- about 1 pulse per second. This was present before the map change. If this was a carbureted bike I would say the surging begins as you leave the idle circuit and get on the main fueling circuit. However I don't know enough about FI to theorize what's happening here. Does the 990 have a vacuum system that could be the cause of the surging?

I suppose I could try a "surge protector" but I don't have any around that would work with European voltage:D

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 2.42.36 PM.png
    ErGuss likes this.
  16. Errhead

Errhead Low Miles!

Oddometer:
    Am I supposed to use the "reset adaption" button at some point during or after a new map install? The instructions (bottom row) seem to indicate that it may be N/A for KTM.

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 8.49.49 PM.png
  17. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Errhead,
    When you install a new map, TuneECU will do the Reset Adapt for you at the end. So, then you should start it and let it idle, without touching the throttle, for about 10 minutes or until the fan comes on. Then shut it off. If you just ride it without the idle, you may get some weird running, for a while.

So, try this... start and idle while you are getting ready to ride. Shut it down and restart. Don't judge how it really runs until you have at least three 'heat cycles' on the engine. Best to do some short rides with the bike sitting for a while between, like ride to lunch in the town next to yours. Things change as it learns.

What you have sounds like the typical lean-surge. This may only be from the Idle-learning part. OR, you may have a leaner set of fuel injectors, or more open exhaust, or tighter valves, or many other things that make your bike run leaner than others. If it continues, you may need a slightly richer map.

Is it doing this surge when you are crusing in 4th or higher gear?
    If it's doing this in neutral, that's kind of normal.
  18. Errhead

Errhead Low Miles!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Zuber. I did the "15 minute" reset after the map install. I will put it through some more heat cycles. Valves adjust was done recently. You are right that the surging is really noticeable in neutral but less so at speed. I did not make it to a highway the other day so barely touched 4th gear and probably never exceeded 45 mph. I will give the ECU some more time to "learn" over the next few days. Got a 7-10 day camping ride coming up soon so hopefully she will settle in before that.
  19. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm heading out on Monday to East OR, ID and the MT border. (but on a 1090R)
  20. Errhead

Errhead Low Miles!

Oddometer:
    Nice. That's the direction we are headed. Our late summer ride this year means more of the mountain passes should be snow free so heading NE into the mountains sounds like a good choice. Have a wonderful trip and thanks for all your help.