TuneECU for 990 - got tunes?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jetpoweredmonkey, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just put another 230 miles on my 990 Adv with the #9 tune. It was a wide mix of paved roads, 45 mph single lane pavement, high speed highway at 55-75mph. Fill up showed 48 mpg!! (that's actual on the corrected speedo). Previous rides were all at 40 mpg.
    Crazygreek and bobone like this.
  2. Errhead

Errhead Low Miles!

Oddometer:
    If I get that type of mileage my BMW friends can't bitch about all the extra gas stops! I am still fighting the surge though. It appears my bike is a slow learner. I made an interesting discovery today while looking for any vacuum leaks. First of all the bike runs much smoother if the throttle bodies are way out of balance. If you bring the rear cylinder up about 20% above the front cylinder using TUNE ECU or a simple manometer, the surge goes away (on the bike the stand at least).

To complicate things further, I made another odd discovery. If you balance the throttles, bike surges horribly as described a few post above. If you disconnect the electrical connector from either one of the air pressure sensors (#61041085100) left or right, the bike runs smooth at any RPM. If you reconnect the sensor while the bike is still running, it continues to run smoothly. However, if you turn the bike off, and restart it, the surging immediately resumes. Behavior is identical whether you pull the lead from the left pressure sensor or the right one. The microfiche seems to indicate that we have 3 of these sensors on a 990 but I cannot find the 3rd one. Of course these little bits of plastic are nearly $100 each although they seemed to be used on many different KTMs and even some Huskys I believe.

[​IMG]
    ErGuss likes this.
  3. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
  4. Errhead

Errhead Low Miles!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jeff but I think those are the dongles for the O2 sensors back on the exhaust side of things. I believe the O2 sensors are already disabled in Zuber's #9 map. I don't believe I have run across any posts with surging solutions involving the air pressure sensors but they certainly seem to make a difference on my bike once disconnected. However I'm sure there is a good reason why I shouldn't run without them. Cheers.
    ErGuss and Jeff Sichoe like this.
  5. ducze15

ducze15 n00b

Oddometer:
    third sensor is behind front lamp.
  6. Errhead

Errhead Low Miles!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ducze15. Looks like the PO did an incomplete canisterectomy. I have removed a some of the plumbing he left behind an will see it will improve the surging issues.
    ErGuss likes this.
  7. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Errhead - sounds like you have an air leak. If not that, then maybe a dirty injector.

FYI - easy to check the MAP sensors with TuneECU. Hook it up, don't start the engine. Look at the MAP sensor voltages. Since they are all reading atmospheric, they should be close to the same. If one of the engine sensors is way out, try swapping it with the atmos one behind the head light. They'll never be exactly the same, but it's better if the engine ones are close.
    DeepSea likes this.
  8. Errhead

Errhead Low Miles!

Oddometer:
    Just back from an awesome 9 day trip. Surging was not helpful in the technical stuff. Bike ran smooth above 3800 rpm but was erratic below that. Off-road mileage was terrible being that I was usually in the wrong gear trying to always be above 3800 rpm. I nearly ran into a bear on the Magruder pass! I just swapped all the map sensors around. With the key on they all seem to read the same voltage. The cylinder sensors are pretty jumpy when running with one sometimes reading double what the other one says. However I suspect that has more to do with their sampling rate than any actual dramatic change in manifold pressure. I have not been able to locate a vacuum leak anywhere but when I inadvertently pushed the throttle bodies to the right while the bike was running, there was a notable increase in rpms. I removed the bottom of the airbox and remounted the throttle bodies and this condition has now gone away. I am not sure if this was causing a vacuum leak in actual riding conditions but it's all I could find for now. I am thinking about ordering Alongat's new air filter system just to get rid of the stock airbox and all the difficulty of accessing the throttle bodies through the OEM system.

@Zuber, Should I still run your #9 map if I change my intake system or would you suggest something else?
  9. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're right about the TuneECU and the map sensor voltage. If it samples a sensor during the high vacuum pulse, then it looks really high. Likewise, during a low vacuum pulse. They could have smoothed this in software.

Did you ride it after fixing the vacuum leak?

If it still surges at low speeds, I'd try the stock map again. That's richer below 4500. But, you may still have other problems. Like a dirty injector?

The open air cleaner will drasticly change the tuning. Mostly where the closed airbox pulses in the 3000-4000 rpm range. I haven't tried one yet.
  10. Errhead

Errhead Low Miles!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Zuber. No rides yet. Currently loosely re-assembled without stock airbox so I have some access. I ordered Alongat's intake. In the mean time I thought I would look at the injectors and perhaps the rear TPS. I'll need to do some research on voltage for that one and also how to test the injectors. Looks like there are a couple of open airbox maps on TuneECU that might be applicable to my 2010.

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 1.14.31 PM.png

The bike came to me with the Akro map so I don't have the stock map. Again I have FMF Q4's on with the spark arrestors in. Is there a direct source for the stock map or should I try something from the list below? Thanks so much for your help.

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 1.16.34 PM.png
  11. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well ride it and see if you've fixed it first with the stock airbox. Then move on... Adding a different air cleaner will just complicate your issues.

That Euro 990R map would be a good test, EUxxx2002.
    Don't us a USofA map, you may get errors about the emissions, even if you turn these options off.

When you get it running good, and THEN put the new air cleaner on. You should try my #9 map and see how it works. I'd be very curious.
    ErGuss likes this.
  12. Errhead

Errhead Low Miles!

Oddometer:
    OK injectors are out for inspection. The O-rings between the injectors and fuel rail need to be replaced. They were a little tight so I'm not sure if they have been breaking down over time or if they just torn a bit upon removal. Either way, they left some rubber residue in the fuel rail. I will probably take them to an injector service since that is probably the best place to find some new o-rings. However, I would like to test them at home just to see the spray pattern before they are cleaned and rebuilt. Does anyone know if they operate on a 12V pulse or is it some other voltage that would be harder for me to replicate?

IMG_3428.jpeg IMG_3425.jpg

Attached Files:

13. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Clean it yourself.

Use a 9v battery, the one with the snap connections on top. It will snap the pintle open. I wouldn't apply this power for more than 10-20 seconds though. (this is what the KTM factory guys use). It's just a coil, so can hook up either way.

Hook up a blow gun with a rubber hose that will fit tightly over the OUTPUT side.
    Fill the hose with carb cleaner, put the hose over the output of the injector, power it up to open, and blow. This takes four hands. Repeat a couple of times.

Finally, spray some cleaner in the input side and blow it off. Don't try to take out the screen/filter on the input side - that's not available. If you have them open, this is the best way to see the spray pattern.

Order O-rings from KTM? They are Viton, you can also buy them from McMaster-Carr, but you'd end up with 50.

Put only engine oil on the O-rings when you install.
    ErGuss likes this.
  14. jmull013

jmull013 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Folks,
    i post this in 950/990 main as well. But here is my bike/what i am looking for

Bike: 2009 990R with LeoVince exhaust and rottweiler airbox and SAS removal.

I am trying to get rid of the twitchy throttle, get increased MPG (I hit an all time low last week 108 miles until my fuel light came on. I was riding like an a**hole though) and better mid-range response.

I had the KM601EU0902031Map on it but just installed the KM601EU0902032Map thinking it would fix some things.......i am now getting the 5/4 FI error code.

Does anyone have a good map that will address my original requests as well as my recently added FI code issues?

Thanks,
  15. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey @jmull013 , I see you are using 2009 maps. You can use any 990Adv map for 09-13. The later maps are better. 'xxxEU1180232 for 2011 990 R with Acro exhaust' would be the latest. The Acro exhaust maps are very rich.

The glitchy throttle and poor mileage are related, most maps are too rich in the crusing area of 3-4500 rpm.

If you didn't have the open airfilter, my #9 map is probably just what you are looking for. You might try it anyway. I'm guessing it would surge when crusing, but would be fine in the power range above 5000 rpm. You could then richen it back up in the 2-4500 range until it was smooth again.
  16. Koen

Koen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got my cable in today, but left my laptop at work. Guess i'll play with it at work :) Previous owner said it has an Akra map inside. Terrible milage (30mpg) and an even worse on/off behaviour. Hoping the Zuber3 will fix that a little :)
  17. jmull013

jmull013 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Zuber, thanks for the reply. I’ll try the #9 and see what happens.

Also, where can I find all these other maps? Tune ecu only has a handful but see all these other custom ones floating around.

Thanks
  18. jmull013

jmull013 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update;

I installed KM601EU1180231. The long term results are still tbd and am willing to throw anyone’s custom map at the bike for shits and giggles.

My question now pertains to fi codes. I am still getting a 5/4 FI code that goes solid when I start riding. Anyone insight?

Thanks
  19. Koen

Koen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So i've put the Zuber3 map in the bike today ... holymoly what a difference. Thank Zuber!
    20190923_161319.jpg
    20190923_163519.jpg

I do get 3 errors. Inlet air temp sensor error (P0113), TPS low sensor voltage (P0122) and Injector 1 circuit malfuntion (P0201). Something to look into :)
  20. jmull013

jmull013 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How do I find all the various maps available? I only see a handful on Tune ecu, what am I missing?