Turd on the Run

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dbarkdoll, Jul 12, 2019.

1. dbarkdoll

dbarkdoll Amateur Brapper

Oddometer:
    Greetings everyone! Never thought I would be posting in Epic Rides....I think this trip should qualify though. That's the plan anyhow! Here’s the skinny:

Hmmm....Where to begin..... :hmmmmm
    It has been a dream of mine for a while now to break out of the rut that is my working life and do some major traveling. Always been too afraid to actually do it until a few months ago when I started planning this trip. I was tired of my job and ready to look for another, realizing that the space between jobs would be the perfect opportunity to take some substantial time off for the first time in my life and get out there and explore. With support and approval from my girlfriend, friends, and family I forged ahead with the plan. Put my notice in at work last week and well, the rest is history as they say! Here's the rough outline for the trip as of now which of course can and probably will change. I am loosely planning on spending 4-6 weeks away from home, emphasis on loosely.

THE ROUTE:
    Planning on leaving Springfield, MO on the 4th or 5th of August. I will be hauling my bike to Taos, NM where my sister lives. I can leave my truck with her which will be great for both of us. I plan on catching up with her for a bit and riding some of northern NM as I have been told there is some great riding up there. This will give me a chance to dial in my setup and get rid of any superfluous stuff that I find I don't really need after a few days of riding.

After that, Colorado. DUH. :jinx
    Planning on spending a good amount of time in CO seeing as I have a few contacts spread out across the state, there are lots of things to do and see, and hopefully, I'll have some good warm weather to do it in. As with the entire route, I am open to suggestions for must-see stuff/roads.

Wyoming would be next. My aunt and uncle live in Casper and I have not seen them since I was probably 6 or 7, so long overdue. Probably work my way towards Yellowstone, as I will going that way towards Missoula anyway.

Montana is next, I have a contact in Missoula I can stay with. I've been told that Glacier is a must, we shall see if I make up that far. I also have a contact in Sandpoint, ID so it may behoove me not to visit Glacier while I'm up there.

Idaho next. I have visited the Sawtooth range on a family vacation years ago and would really like to go back on the bike. Idaho is a way underrated state IMO.

Then start working my way to the coast via Oregon. I have several contacts here spread out across the state, including one in Astoria. Taking the coast down from there is definitely on my list.

May make it down to the Redwoods, we shall see. I will prob cut back across Oregon though and drop down into Utah from Idaho. I really want to experience some of what Utah has to offer, I fear I may be pressed for time on the tail end of the trip so I may have to rush through it. Can always come back at a later time and devote more attention to that area though. And then obviously back to New Mexico for the terminus of the trip.

That's the plan anyhow, we'll see what happens!! :dukegirl

THE BIKE:

I will be riding my 2013 CB1100. Is this a touring bike? Hell no! Is it all I've got? Hell yes! Am I going to make the most out of it? Hell yes!!!

I've been doing some smaller trips on it, most recently 5 days to North Carolina and back. I feel that my setup with luggage and packing list and everything is pretty dialed in. Adjustments can and will be made on the road though, but overall I feel confident in the bike's abilities and comfort level.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I suppose that's pretty much it! This is by far the biggest thing I have ever done so I am equal parts excited and scared but it's way too late now to back out and all of life's greatest pleasures lie on the other side of fear......or something like that. :norton

I look forward to hearing some of y'alls input and suggestions here and hopefully maybe even meeting some of you out on the open road.

Cheers,
    Daniel

:beer
    Mane, kpinvt, DESERT VIPER and 23 others like this.
  2. Ninjafreak

Ninjafreak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell yes! Following this epic ride. I mean how could you not follow a turd on the run! :imaposer
    I'm jealous, been wanting to ride Montana, Idaho, Wyoming for years. Enjoy and be safe!
  3. dbarkdoll

Oddometer:
    Thanks man. I’ll be your turd. Lol
    DESERT VIPER likes this.
  4. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    EVERY motorcycle is a "touring bike" if you're touring on it. My Sportster Roadster is mine. So were a CBX, a GPz1100, a Buell and scores of others in the past, including a previous Sportster which crossed the USA and back twice.

Count me in for this. Ride safe.
  5. dbarkdoll

Oddometer:
    Well said my friend.

Thank you!
  6. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Touring the Missouri River on my non-touring CBX in the 80's.

CBX.jpg
  7. dbarkdoll

Oddometer:
    What are you talking about man... I see hard luggage, I see a big fairing, I see 6 cylinders....

Looks like a touring bike to me.
  8. RB17

RB17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m in! Good luck bro!
    frog13 and dbarkdoll like this.
  9. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a great time! ...... cast rims on the CB , good choice.
    dbarkdoll likes this.
  10. SlyByrd

SlyByrd Siksika

Oddometer:
    Being a good ole Springfield, Missouri boy myself .... you know I'm gonna be keeping up on this adventure.
    Enjoy Brother .... stay safe.
    DESERT VIPER and dbarkdoll like this.
  11. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    Good plan and awesome bike to do it on. Ride well. Be well. I'll be reading along as you travel.
    DESERT VIPER and dbarkdoll like this.
  12. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this. Enjoy my friend.
    dbarkdoll likes this.
  13. The Dude

The Dude Just Love To Ride

Oddometer:
    Agree 100% a touring bike to me is whatever one happens to be riding
    RedDogAlberta likes this.
  14. Lt_Dan29

Lt_Dan29 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck bro!!! I cant wait to hear about the overall trip. Keep us ARA guys posted along the way!
    dbarkdoll likes this.
  15. dbarkdoll

Oddometer:
    We’re gettin’ close. I leave for New Mexico on Friday.

[​IMG]
  16. sages

sages Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a Paul McCartney song title :y0!
    dbarkdoll likes this.
  17. dbarkdoll

Oddometer:
    Stones actually. :clap
  18. dbarkdoll

Oddometer:
    E7CEDBBA-8973-463D-962F-CE4BD46A1FD6.jpeg What am I missing?
  19. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing, really, nothing :) Enjoy yourself brother.

How are you navigating ? Just wondering nothing to do with the above.
    dbarkdoll likes this.
  20. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    The most important tools and equipment is what is between your ears. Have fun!

A suggestion;
    N of NM is Great, but, while in NM, go SW. Off 25 S, take 152 towards Silver City. 'Twistys' climb to 8000' and is clear of the 'dirty unwashed public'. Then out of Silver City, take 180 NW towards Alpine AZ. Some 70 miles up 180, take a left on farm road 78 and up through the Apache National Forest. Continue over spectacular mountain passes into SE AZ. Go N on 191 through Clifton and Morenci. 191 is the 'Coronado Trail'. Spectacular! Some 496+ corners, again up to 8000 in 70+ miles. From Alpine AZ you can then make your way to SW CO.

You can be assured that the above route will leave you nearly speechless! I have ridden it 6X+, both ways, and it is my standard route when riding W.