Turd on the Run

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dbarkdoll, Jul 12, 2019.

1. DESERT VIPER

DESERT VIPER ATK 605

Oddometer:
    EZMoney, dbarkdoll and Bob W like this.
  2. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:
    Skip the toothpaste and deodorant. Double up on the baby wipes!!
    Hope you have the opportunity to post up, but don't let us mess up your ride.
    dbarkdoll likes this.
  3. Lone Stranger

Lone Stranger Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report - I hope we see more from you in the future!!!
    dbarkdoll likes this.
  4. dengwynn

dengwynn AT LARGE

Oddometer:
    You are a really good photographer. Backpacking teaches the motorcyclist to just carry essentials . Since you can't be ready for everything I suggest taking as little as you can with you as what you don't carry can't get lost, wet, in the way or be heavy.
    Repoman87, dbarkdoll and bodhigj like this.
  5. bodhigj

bodhigj n00b

Oddometer:
    Certainly an excellent suggestion. 191 (old 666) is Arizona's answer to the Dragon's Tail in TN. Between Clifton and Alpine is 92 miles and 590 curves (I know I counted them) 78 hairpins, few guardrails and a few large animals (elk and occasional big-horn sheep). I have ridden this route many times and it is one of my favorites. Have fun!
    dbarkdoll likes this.
  6. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah that looks gud!!

206DE773-A37D-4ED4-89D2-63B55DF86974.jpeg
  7. High Mtn Fun

High Mtn Fun n00b

Oddometer:
    What a great Trip and thanks for sharing it with us so far! I live in Colorado and was on top of Independence pass Friday. Got caught in a quick rain\hail storm...got to love the high country. Keep posting pictures and enjoying yourself. Also if you get the chance pick up a map from Butler Maps they show great motorcycle rides in most states.
    dbarkdoll likes this.
  8. dbarkdoll

dbarkdoll Amateur Brapper

Oddometer:
    The only way to travel!!
  9. dbarkdoll

Oddometer:
    Nice! Thats quite the bag you've got there.
    DESERT VIPER and Davidprej like this.
  10. dbarkdoll

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify, I am back from the trip and have been for a bit now. Just now getting around to sharing all this.

Left Lake Granby the next morning and headed north towards Casper, WY. My dad and uncle were born and raised there, uncle has been there his whole life and recently retired. The last time we saw each other was probably 20+ years ago so a visit was long overdue. Rode north through Walden, the CO-WY border, into Laramie. I was told that this is THE college town of the state, coulda fooled me. Wyoming is a whole 'nother place lemme tell ya. Grabbed some lunch there and continued on north. Things got reeeaaaal spread out from there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is Highway 77, a spur road off of 487. They had 487 completely closed due to an accident. 77 is closed in the winter apparently and I could certainly see why. NOTHING out there as far as you could see. No houses, ranches, nothing. One of those roads that makes you wonder why they even built it. It was really cool riding it and getting that big wide open feeling that one can only get out west.

Rest of the way to Casper was much more of the same. Lots of open countryside and antelope. Rolled into town very much on empty and met up with the aunt and uncle. Had a really good time catching up with them, I shoulda done it a long time ago. My uncle is very into woodworking, leather working, tool restoration etc and we had a great time looking through all his stuff. He's also got a museum sized collection of rare and unique knives, pistols, rifles, you name it. Was sad to say goodbye after two days but the all present tug of the road and forward movement drove me back out into the void.
    EZMoney, Repoman87, Franque and 4 others like this.
  11. dbarkdoll

Oddometer:
    The Void is a good title for the next days ride. No pictures from that day, not much worth photographing. The scenery finally got a bit interesting as I got near the Wind River area approaching Dubois, this waterway is very appropriately named btw. Experienced probably the strongest head wind of the whole trip traveling west through the river valley. Stopped in Dubois and hung out for a bit checking out a few shops. It was getting time to start finding a place to camp so down a forest service road I went. Shoulda just kept to the road and looked for a campground but for whatever reason I decided to get out into the back country. Finally found a "spot" alongside the dirt road that was flat enough to pitch a tent and made camp. This was the most isolated camping I did the whole trip and I was in a very weird and vulnerable place mentally. No cell service and I desperately wanted to talk to my girlfriend so a rough night was had indeed. The low point of the trip hands down. Got stormed on for a minute, swore I was being watched by something the entire night, and froze my butt off overnight. Awoke to frost on the rainfly and got the heck out of there.
  12. dbarkdoll

Oddometer:
    Next day went quite a bit smoother and I was a short ride from the Grand Tetons. A formidable sight to approach, no doubt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really cool riding through the valley with the range right there the whole time, especially in picture perfect weather. Went into Jackson and hung out for a bit before deciding to make the pilgrimage to Melvin Brewing in Alpine, WY. This has been one of my favorite breweries for a long time and I reveled in the chance to visit it in person. The building and surrounding area did not disappoint.

[​IMG]

Camped in a pretty great spot along the Snake River that night.
  13. dbarkdoll

Oddometer:
    Headed back towards Jackson and the Tetons the next day en route to Yellowstone. No complaints riding back through the valley again, I do regret not taking the park road that loops towards Jenny Lake and Jackson Lake for a closer look at the mountains. Next time. To be fair I was in a bit a of a hurry to get to Yellowstone before it got super crowded and wanted to give myself as much time as possible there. Was able to get a nice shot of the range and lake on the way out however.

[​IMG]

Up next.....:rayof

[​IMG]
  14. Alroc06

Alroc06 n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't be much, but there are stores along way the in most places you mentioned. Looks like you have planned well - - have a safe and and fun trip! Everyone should do this at least once in their biking life, but it's like M&M's or potato chips, once you've started .......
  15. Alroc06

Alroc06 n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. Alroc06

Alroc06 n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! Nice photos - both the scenery and the bike. You're gonna make Nat Geo jealous. You are off to a good start. I know I'm looking forward to a long string of posts from your journey. Ride on.
    dbarkdoll likes this.
  17. CarbOnFast

CarbOnFast n00b

Oddometer:
    20190908_195732.jpg Maybe I am missing the irony of your sake name... from your pics I dare saying you are more a Degas or an hyper realistic painter! (That's me taken aback by the vastness of your horizon lines...) Your apparent naive approach to bad times is also interesting, I wonder if you swear at all... I used to be like that, but now at least in my mind it's like a soundtrack... to all those moments I should have taken the road. I hope you find this experience liberating and keep the miles rolling! Ride Safe and Long!!
  18. frog4aday

frog4aday n00b

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed your ride report and pictures. You really put in some miles and saw some wonderful parts of the USA. Not that Arkansas (where you are from) is 'shabby' either (love riding there!) But the joy is getting out on two wheels and exploring new-to-you places. Thanks for sharing it with us.
  19. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the next trip, we seem to have quite a few near professionals on this forum. Maybe he is a national geographic stringer, or maybe he should be ? Great chain my friend.
  20. dbarkdoll

Oddometer:
    My apologies for slacking off here, been a busy few weeks for me getting ready to move. Getting back on track here:

I rode into Yellowstone sometime around noon on Saturday fearful of large crowds and congestion. There were many people to contend with indeed but my spirits were high enough and the scenery was stunning enough to balance things out. The park is so huge and everything so spread out that there's plenty of time and space between landmarks to clear the mind and get into a good flow. Rode alongside Yellowstone Lake for quite a while which was nice and scenic. I took several videos of a few geothermal springs but not gonna mess with posting them here. The smell was something to be experienced in person for sure!! ;) Had my first close encounter with a bison leaving the hot spring parking lot which was quite memorable. An adult bull was sauntering down the road like a big hairy bus, not a care in the world. I felt quite nervous riding alongside it within arms reach, one flick of its head and I'd be tossed into the ditch. :-/

Stopped at the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone for a walk around and some pics at Artist Point. So gorgeous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One could easily spend a whole day just exploring the canyon on both sides but I knew this would be an abridged trip to the park and kept moving towards the northeast entrance. Things got quite interesting and breathtaking here as the road made its way up and over a mountain pass and the elevation started climbing. Heavy traffic prevented any spirited riding but the scenery made up for it. Just one shot from the other side of the pass:

[​IMG]

The road then made its way towards and down into Lamar Valley which was stunningly beautiful. Hoards of wild bison could be seen spread out in the valley for miles and miles, must have been several thousand of them in parts. Makes one think about what the countryside used to look like before colonization and the disgraceful genocide of these incredible creatures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had several very close encounters with these huge beasts on the road, they really do not care one bit about cars or people being nearby. Rode so close to a bellowing bull (which sounds a lot like an amplified belch) that I could actually smell its breath which I will not soon forget. Totally wild experience.

It was getting around 5:00 so time to start thinking about camp again. I had been keeping my eye on the weather up ahead which finally broke open on my way out of the park and started coming down pretty good. Gave my rain gear its most proper test of the trip which I am happy to say it did great. My gloves would have probably been compromised after another 30-45 minutes of steady rain but they were cheap and they held up for about a solid hour of rain.

Rode out of the park via the North East entrance towards Black Bear Pass in search of camp. Was able to find a free National Forest site along the road east of Cooke City. I quickly nabbed it because it was the only available spot I had seen all day. Passed several campgrounds on the way to it that did not allow tent camping which I found quite peculiar but found out why later that evening on my trip back into town to grab some dinner. I talked to a few people in town about my trip and where I was camping for the night and everyone gave me the same nervous reaction. Apparently someone was killed by a bear in one of the campgrounds nearby a few years ago which is why they no longer allow tents there.

Needless to say I was quite uneasy about my campsite now but the cheapest lodging in the area was prohibitively expensive and I really had no other options. I did stop in a nearby small motel to ask their opinion on the matter and the woman there put my mind at ease. Told me there had been no bear sightings in the area for a long time and the mauling years ago was the result of poor camp housekeeping. I was still quite on edge that night and tied any and everything with any sort of odor to it farrrr away from my camp. No problems that night whatsoever. :angel: