Turkey-Georgia-Russia-Kazakhstan... B roads?

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by mojoblues, Jan 14, 2017.

1. mojoblues

mojoblues Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, I am looking for some info about the possible route from Ardahan, Turkey, over Tbilisi, Georgia, entering Russia and getting through Kazakhstan towards Mongolia. My plan is a bit different from usual ADV plan, in sense that I will be riding a street bike, not dual sport or off road.
    I will pass through Turkey on the roads next to Black Sea and finish in Ardahan. I did choose a diff route from a highway, as I would like to have scenic route not just to blast through Turkey..

What is a viable pass (border) to Georgia?
    Which is a good road for a street bike to take after Georgia to get through Russia, and to Kazakhstan? I can drive in dust, maybe gravel, but no off road...
    Also, what is a good route to get myself through Kazakhstan towards Mongolia?

My intentions are to get even further, but will ask for the next stage later.
    Any advice and info would be appreciated, I did read a lot here, went through the maps, but I know my trip might be a bit different..
    Thanks a lot!
  2. BGil

BGil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as I know, the only border open between Georgia and Russia is south of Vladikavkaz. The road is good and beautiful.
    Below is the border on the Russian side:
    [​IMG]

I don't remember wich road exactly I took to go from Vladikavkaz to Astrakhan but don't expect something really scenic once you're leaving the mountains. It's the steppe, flat, dry and empty. Like this:
    [​IMG]

Once in Kazakhstan, it's the same steppe, only dryer and with camels here and there, but the road is not so good. Lot of potholes and few gas station, especially in the west.
    If your goal is to go to Mongolia, cross into Kazakhstan only if you want to visit Uzbekistan, Tadj or Kirgyz. Otherwise, stay in Russia.

There are nice things to see in Kazakhstan and the people are friendly, but it's huge and empty.

PM me if you want more informations.
  3. PedroCH

PedroCH King of Kings

Oddometer:
    Hey Mate, look in my blog, you can find a lot of infos about what you are looking for: I went last Summer al the way down to Georgia.

With your idea there are no problem at all about roads. I suggest you to pass through Ispir and then go to Ardahan by Artvin or Penek, up to you (The road through Artvin, I did it and it is very nice).

For Georgia you have a very close border on the north of Khozapini (Kartsakhi) Lake, it has been opened recently, it is brand new, no one uses it, so no waiting line. Roads are fine on both side.
    Otherwise you have Türkgözü, I have not been there.

FYI: Border with Armenia is completely closed.

For going to Russia you can use the Georgian Military Highway, very nice road, all paved now, but it is always full of TIRs and traffic. But I think it is like this almost everywhere on main road in Georgia. (I.e.: like the Croatian coast in Summer, road are a mess)

Which bike are you riding?

BTW, for what is next, you don't have to worry that much, just think that all main Roads are paved in Kazakistan, Russia and Mongolia.
  4. mojoblues

mojoblues Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot guys.
    I would try to avoid highways and lots of traffic, I am more of a scenic route guy. I will be riding with two friend, we all have old hondas. I have a cb650 from 1979 :)
    Steppe is also good, never been to one. We will be camping all the way, only gas stations and food we need to find on the way.
    I am still planning a route, so all advice and info is very welcomed.
  5. PedroCH

PedroCH King of Kings

Oddometer:
    This is more or less the road I've done in Turkey on the way down to Georgia (D915 not included):
    https://www.google.it/maps/dir/41.7...5e1da257b5:0x44f12860e3cc237c!1m0!2m1!2b1!3e0

It passed through Edirne, it is full of traffic but it is kind of fine and funny at it is different from the European one (Greece and France are exeption): Motorbikes can pass through stopped car, just always use your horn and the cars will get out of your way.
    Otherwise just stay on the high way that goes around Edirne and go out straight after the city to ride on the D020 (Very nice road to Istanbul without any traffic).
    Then I didn't pass on the new bridge over the Bosphorous, I suggest you to do it (I think you will have to pay something). The other 2 bridges are always stuck and are a mess. As soon as you get on the E80 after the D020 you will enter a motorway with blocked traffic.
    With the bike was fine as riders are allowes to use the emergency lane on the right for overtaking the traffic jam (There was a police checkpoint that was stopping car on the emergency lane but not motorbikes and mopeds).

Here you can find more pics of the road:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...61753583.1073741861.1054766197&type=3&theater

As soon as you leave the west part of Turkey, prices changes a lot. For example, in July, you can take a triple room in a hotel in Samsun (it is a very big city) for 27 €. Just to let you know. In Georgia you find Guethouses with included breakfast for 6-10 € per person.
    I.e.: I can suggest you to stop in Gori by guest house sweet home, they have a free of charge washing machine, a closed patio where you can park motorbikes and do maintenance. You can even stop for 2 nights as in Gori there is a lot to see (Stalin was born there, there is a "VERY FAIR" museum about him :lol3 ), there is a huge fortress and, the cave town Uplistsikhe is 20 mins away, ecc.

Then, good to know as in Georgia there is not a motorbike culture, is that here you can find a motorcycle mechanic and spare parts:
    https://www.facebook.com/PitstopGeorgia/
  6. BGil

BGil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure, the steppe is interesting but you will have a lot of it in Russia, Kazakhstan and Mongolia. That will bore you quickly :)
    But at least camping is easy. Just ride away from the road for 1 or 2 km and you're good.

What is your fuel range?
  7. mojoblues

mojoblues Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My fuel range is about 320km, we might bring a 10l canister with extra fuel. Not a lot, so we need to plan wisely.
    Pedro, those pictures look really promising.
    I was thinking to pass from Turkey to Georgia via Turkgozy, and from Georgia to Russia via Kazbegi national park. If I can, I will try to avoid traffic with "Croatian coast in summer" sindrome :)
    Further would be through Vladikavkaz towards Astrakhan.
    Thanks for the tip for Gori, will need that washing machine :thumb
  8. BGil

BGil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    320 should be enough, especially with the canister.

If you're going to Armenia, I recommand a visit to Tatev monastery. Take the cableway, the view is wonderful.
  9. PedroCH

PedroCH King of Kings

Oddometer:
    320 km is completely fine with your type of motorbike (You are not going far away from paved road).

Kazbegi is very nice and the Georgian Military Highway is a piece of history road, it is nice to ride it despite the traffic.
  10. motolover

motolover rookie

Oddometer:
    Have you made your trip?
    I am going to Georgia in two weeks.
    Pozdrav iz Slovenije!
  11. mojoblues

mojoblues Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am still on the trip, leaving Ganja, Azerbaijan tommorrow, going to catch that ferry in Baku to get to Kazahstan! Trip has changed a bit, but going very nice so far!!