Turkey - Georgia, summer 2018

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by elias, Sep 7, 2018.

1. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is my first thread in the "Epic Rides" , Not my first epic ride, but this time i really want to share my experience to all of you, so anyone who would like to visit these areas could have some extra information, or just enjoy my story and pictures.

I was planning this trip for about two years. Its not that hard if you have done some trips in foreign countries but due to some personal issues i had to cancel it couple of times, until this year. The only concern was that i was going to travel alone , so i had to be as much prepared as i could, so my vacation was not going to end sooner.
    In any case, internet nowdays is a great assistant for any kind of trip, so i did a good job, in preparation, (not perfect though).
  2. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, the bike is a KTM 640 adventure. I chose it because its light and perfect for off road.
    [​IMG]
  3. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought it 1,5 year ago. It has 145000 km on the speedometer, but somewhere around 70 - 80 k the motor was rebuild. works perfectly, and surprisingly there's NO oil leak!!!!

Not much of modification was made, the major mod i did is the seat reconstruction. It was so good that i was able to cover over 300 km before i stop again for refuel or just a break.

[​IMG]
    Sfcootz, shaqattack and BillUA like this.
  4. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    shaqattack and joenuclear like this.
  5. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The route.
    Door to door was 5800 km. I visited Turkey and Georgia. The plan in the start was to visit also Armenia but in the end didnt make it , for reasons that i will explain later in the thread.

[​IMG]
  6. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    Sfcootz likes this.
  7. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what to expect?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. batman75

batman75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulation for even planning the trip in spite of all of this shit that happened to you.
    Im waiting you to continue full of agony and ecstasy. :clap
  9. BillUA

BillUA Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  10. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Started from the port of Piraeous taking a ship to Chios island, because i didnt want to lose time in Greece, and then from there with a small ferry to Cesme in Turkey. Due to some delays in reaching Chios island, i finally made it to Cesme 10 hours later, instead 9 am it was 7 pm. So decided to spend the night there and start early in the morning.

the ferry from Chios to Cesme.
    [​IMG]

Cesme
    [​IMG]

Cesme
    [​IMG]

Cesme
    [​IMG]

Cesme
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cesme is a really crowded place, especially in the summer with a lot of tourist. It has a nice center with many stores open til late at night. My first thought was to find a local sim card, so i can have cheap internet access, and calls. I bought one with 12 euros, that gave me 7 gigabytes for a month. In the morning before i leave had one more task to solve. The highway in Turkey has tolls, but you dont stop to pay. You have to get a ticket , prepayed, from a post office, and this way you can go everywhere you want, and everytime you cross tolls it takes the amount of money that it needs. After waiting 1 hour in the post office they told me they didnt have this day , but there is no problem, i can travel and buy the ticket another day. And so i left.

The view in the morning
    [​IMG]

Breakfast
    [​IMG]

The parking spot
    [​IMG]
  12. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Before i continue i think it would be nice to write some things about my gear.

I was wearing
    - an acerbis enduro jacket, with the body armour inside,
    - a pair of jeans
    - semi enduro boots (a pair of 12 year old oxtar, now called tcx i think)
    - and LS2 dual sport helmet.

electronics
    - my smartphone and a second mobile phone, not so smart but with a long lasted battery
    - a dslr camera, a GoPro hero 5, a GoPro hero 1
    - Garmin eTrex 30 for navigation, with OSM installed,
    - a 20000 mAh battery pack
    - 2 headlights
    - extra batteries, and mounts for the cameras

spare parts
    - tyre tubes, with all the tools i needed to change them,
    - 2 tyre repair foam kits
    - zip ties
    - duct tape
    - epxoxy glues
    - oil filters for the oil change i was planning to do
    - a spare fuel tube,
    - and of course all the tool i needed for the bike

others
    - my travel pharmacy
    - paper maps for Tyrkey, Georgia, Armenia, Bulgaria (just in case)
    - toilet paper (just in case)
    - lonely planet guidebook
    - camera tripod
    - tent, sleeping bag and pad
    - clothes, shoes

13. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Good start
  14. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the plan was to ride as far as i could, so i could cover the biggest part of Turkey quicklly and take my time in the east part. The city of Konya was the target, 650km from Cesme. Nothing special in this area, just riding, the new seat was doing a great job, some rain on the way.

Something wortrh mention is the road itself. After Izmir the road is not a National Road, but just a highway. The strange thing that i havent seen in other country is that in some places , every few kilometers there is a roundabout in the middle, in between, so cars and trucks can make a U turn or just turn, and when they do you find a car or a truck going in the left lane with 20 km/h, until they turn, so you need to be very carefull in these situations. Of course you go through traffic lights, kids, bycicles, animals, cars going the wrong way, even all at once. One thing is for sure . You dont get bored!!!!! despite the long staights.....

on the highway
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

shaqattack likes this.
  15. batman75

batman75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic.I would like to explain to me when drinking some beer this thing about tolls. How did you left without buying the ticket and without paying.keep on writing Elias .
  16. batman75

batman75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you had the drone with you?
  17. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes i had the drone, but didnt used it. Didnt have the time to spend on it.
  18. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I arrived in Konya around 9 pm, and went straight to the hotel i had saved in my GPS. I knew that Konya was very interesting city, with a lot of history, but unfortunatly i didnt have the time to get around for sightseeing, i was too tired. The hotel wasnt near the center, and they also had dinner, so didnt need to take the bike again and go to search for food.

The next morning i got up at 7 am, went straight for breakfast and packed the bike. 650km the previous day, and 500km for that one. The target was Sivas. Wanted to get over with this part of Turkrey, the next days the distances are going to be smaller.

Again the roads are the same, with the same roundabouts, traffic lights, villages, but with less traffic. The scenery is a little bit more boring. Long straights, not much vegetation cover, and stong winds!!

Between Konya and Kayseri
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BillUA, Sfcootz and shaqattack like this.
  19. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I reached Sivas around 6pm, which was very good, because i had the time to walk around and see the center. Again went straight to the hotel i had saved in the GPS, very good place, near the center and friendly people. After some "selfies" that i was asked, parked just under the camera for safety, went to the room and then outside to see the city.

The hotel
    [​IMG]
  20. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sivas is very beautiful, lots of cafes, bars, and restaurants. Also with some traditional monuments. The weather was perfect there, temperatures around 28 celcius in the evening and 20 at night, with no humidity.

Sivas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    s1n4n, BillUA, RedDogAlberta and 3 others like this.